New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Boy With A Problem wrote:By the way WHAR, have you seen the Problems crawling their way back up the standings?
WHAR?!? Whoa!

Yes, and I am officially fucked now that my pitchers have come close to exceeding their innings limit. Gonna have to hope I can hold on for the remainder of the season.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

WSS wrote:
WHAR! Whoa!
I realized I did that in the middle of my dinner tonight! I guess Bong is one of my Flame Warrior personas.

You've got 20 plus innings - I'm sure you'll use them well.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Boy With A Problem wrote:You've got 20 plus innings - I'm sure you'll use them well.
I'd better! I think I'm close to untouchable on strikeouts and am happy with my ERA and WHIP, but I'm gonna be in trouble when it comes to wins and saves. I'm almost tempted to just max out my saves and dump my starters.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I can read the words, but they don't make sense.

anyway, Lucinda made no mention of her "ear infection" or postponements. Maybe she'll bring George with her when she comes.

some good downloads here

http://www.venereapunk.com/
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I'll be there, with my ear plugs at the ready! And will probably need to hide in the toilet when Satanic Surfers do their thing.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Otis Westinghouse

mood swung wrote:the lethal weapon of late hours and beer
Did you outdo Lucinda in the drunken old bidddy stakes, Moodster?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

King Hoarse wrote:To verbal: I hope we'll make it to London again in November, with the Satanic Surfers and perhaps Chixdiggit. Will let you know.
Great - PM me when you know 8)

I'm not sure my delicate ears will be able to handle your dulcet tones and I might look a bit out of place in my Harris tweeds but if I can make it I will.

I'll leave it to you to sort out the VIP backstage passes :lol:

Please forgive my ignorance but is the band name venerea related to the English word "venereal" which is to do with the social disease?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Otis, I did my best.

VG - go here: http://www.venereapunk.com/
verbal gymnastics

I went there MDM - but I couldn't find anything about the name. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Otis Westinghouse

It's also under biography on their site, and is the same text, pretty much:

'Venerea started in Falkenberg (Sweden) back in 1991 and covered classic eighties punkers such as the Hard-Ons, Gang Green, Bad Religion, and of course the Ramones, as well as some punked-up metal covers.

The first thirty self-penned numbers or so were cut for the two legendary (yeah right…) demos, ”From Beer To Eternity” (’92), & ”The Second Cuming of Venereal Disease” (’93), that attracted enough attention to get them their first record deal.

Before recording the first of three mini-cd’s for the now defunct Swedish label Brööl, the band shortened their moniker to Venerea, the name of a rocket that the US were supposed to have sent up in the sixties to penetrate the planet Venus and find out what it is made of. ”Hullabaloo” (’94) is one of the worst debuts ever released, and is now out of print forever and ever, amen.'

So that's a dead clever name.

I'm rather taken with Calling Card. Take me to the mosh pit!
verbal gymnastics

Thanks MDM and Otis.

”Hullabaloo” (’94) is one of the worst debuts ever released, and is now out of print forever and ever, amen."

Has the author ever heard My Aim Is True?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
verbal gymnastics

I went to the V Festival at Chelmsford this weekend which was fantastic. I caught

Saturday

The Magic Numbers
The Proclaimers
The Zutons
Maroon 5 (who finished with a great version of Neil Young's Rocking in the free World)
Kaiser Chiefs
Robert Plant (although I only saw a few songs of his set before going to see)
Oasis (good set, finishing with The Who's My Generation) although Liam Gallagher is just an incoherent twat)

Sunday

Tony Christie (fantastic!)
Joss Stone
Athlete (band of the weekend for me!)
Embrace
Franz Ferdinand and
Scissor Sisters.

Top weekend!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Some gigs I am planning to see in the coming months:

Pinetop Perkins (93-year old blues piano legend) at the El Mocambo (Elvis fans take note)

John Cale at Lula Lounge

Michael Penn at the Rivoli

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings at Horseshoe Tavern
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Just booked to see Franz Ferdinand in November
signed with love and vicious kisses
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Jack Johnson tix came yesterday. Me, my 15 y.o. daughter and a herd of her friends.

is there enough alcohol? :lol:

actually, I'm thinking it will be fun.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Just booked to see Franz Ferdinand in November
Easy on the .gifs. I'm going to go into shock.
Otis Westinghouse

verbal gymnastics wrote:I went to the V Festival at Chelmsford this weekend which was fantastic. I caught ... Top weekend!
Come on then, give us some details. How were FF? How were all of them? Would like to see the MN's and am sure they're fun at a festival.

A friend was at Stafford and said Kaiser Chiefs and Proclaimers were the two high spots.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Just got a ticket to see The Doves on September 12th. Yay!!!!
verbal gymnastics

so lacklustre wrote:Just booked to see Franz Ferdinand in November
I've booked to see Athlete and Franz Ferdinand at Brighton in October and November respectively. Where are you seeing them SLL?

And Otis - Franz Ferdinand were superb. You would have particularly enjoyed them joining Scissor Sisters to do a cover of David Bowie's Suffragette City to close the Festival.

They did 4 new songs but seemed to cut their set short. Scissor Sisters were on late leading me to believe it was something to do with that.

It's funny hearing FF and Athlete say about doing an old song when the song in question is only 2 years old!
Otis Westinghouse

verbal gymnastics wrote:And Otis - Franz Ferdinand were superb. You would have particularly enjoyed them joining Scissor Sisters to do a cover of David Bowie's Suffragette City to close the Festival.
Now that does sound like fun.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

After two amazing Richard Thompson gigs in Edinburgh I flew to Belgium to play at Pukkelpop with Venerea, and of course to check out a lot of cool bands.

Best Nick Cave gig I've seen by far, don't miss him if he plays near you. The most original gospelly harmonies I've ever heard from his great backing singers. Tupelo and There She Goes, My Beautiful World were the highlights for me. And what song could be a better way to end a good-natured three day festival than Stagger Lee? ('I'll crawl over forty good pussies to get to one fat boy's asshole')

The Pixies were fantastic, and I managed to sneak through the closed-off backstage section and find a way (for roadies) UNDER the huge stage to get to the press pit and posed as a writer a few feet away from the band I never thought I'd see. Their 28 best songs in less than 80 minutes, and I have the gig on CD...

I'm also glad I finally got to see the Toy Dolls on their last tour. I bought their debut when I was twelve, now I'm thirty. I also got to hang out with the Dwarves, another punk band I like a lot. And Bad Religion, very much an influence when Venerea started out.

Franz Ferdinand played on a stage that was far too big for them. Great sound and songs though.
Korn is the worst band I've ever overheard.
Juliette Lewis is damn sexy and has a fine voice but no songs. Her cover of Search & Destroy, in which she crowdsurfed, was very nice, though.
LCD Soundsysytem are groovy and funny.
Social Distortion are very, very boring.
Dropkick Murphys would be great if they played a minor chord every once in awhile and skipped the terrible trad.arr's. (who needs to hear another version of Wild Rover?)
The Hives are the most entertaining band you could hope to see if originality is not a preferance. But I wish Pelle had a better voice.
Danko Jones rocks but tries too hard.
Bonnie Prince Billy is fantastic, so why does he play when I'm sleeping?

I don't remember everything I saw; I was drunk.

As for myself, Venerea opened the (second biggest) "Skate Stage" at 11.50 on Friday morning, and of course we were the only band that got rained on. It started pouring about 15 minutes before showtime and ended five minutes after. Of course we thought that people would nurse their hangovers hiding in their dry tents or having breakfast, but 3000 people showed up. The stage manager said that was more than any band on the day before, so great. If we would have played later and drier he thought something close to the max capacity of 6000 might have showed up. Grrrr. Still, a very enjoyable gig despite the rain.

PS. If anyone's interested in set lists for Richard Thompson, Nick Cave & the Pixies, I'll post them.

PSII. Our latest record (my avatar) was released in Japan last week, and shipped 2800 copies in three days!!!!!! No promotion, interviews or anything. I'm amazed.
What this world needs is more silly men.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Thanks for the festival report, KH. Richard Thompson, Nick Cave, Pixies, Franz Ferdinand and Venerea - what a great line-up !
And I'm happy for your album selling well in Japan. Keep up the good job, King.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

When are you heading there?
Otis Westinghouse

selfmademug wrote:Just got a ticket to see The Doves on September 12th. Yay!!!!
Nice one. I've seen them from festivals live on the telly, and the three of them manage to put across that huge sound pretty well. It's worth going just to see the drummer. You've never seen someone so involved in it, with the exceptipon of Keith Moon maybe. I love Doves, think they stand streets apart from most of their contemporaries. It's something to do with their utterly different past as dance act Sub-Sub. It means they do the rainswept, widescreen Mancunian melancholic misery thing to a tee, but very often with a desire to wig out on the (Northern Soul) dance floor. The first few tracks on Some Cities are so listenable. And Pounding from Last Broadcast is one of the best songs ever.