What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Bad Ambassador wrote:It's funny you should mention Sufjan, as that album is one that was raved about that I didn't really click with. To me that record represented a great deal of artifice and ambition but with absolutely no regard for quality control. None of it's terrible, but good grief he could have chopped out a huge chunk of that record and made it far more enjoyable. I rarely go back to it because it feels like an endurance task - 'so, I've put in these little tracks as well, because I can'. There's no denying he's a very talented chap, but he needs to get into his head that some of us don't want to hear every musical fart his body produces. The recent release of 'The Avalanche' only served to confirm my suspicions. 'Illinois' has everything, plus the kitchen sink and a bloke from Focus DIY giving a quote on how he could fit another one in the living room.
BadAmb, I tend to agree with most of your assessments, but would have to take issue with this. Sure, Illinois was long and perhaps could have benefitted from some judicious pruning, but it was intended to be a sprawling album about a massive chunk of the American midwest, weaving together personal stories, history, geography, memories - no easy task in 45 minutes. Some pieces of it I enjoy more than others, to be sure, but there's something refreshing about his ambition, energy and willingness to find music in just about everything. I suspect that he will develop a better ability to edit his ideas over time, but for now I'm happy to have the main course as well as the table scraps. That being said, I think it's still an album that I admire more than I love, which is why I put Hawley's Coles Corner ahead of it last year.

BTW, I am very happy to see Shack's "..On The Corner of Miles & Gil" as one of the choices on your Best of 2006 So Far Poll. It got my vote.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
BTW, I am very happy to see Shack's "..On The Corner of Miles & Gil" as one of the choices on your Best of 2006 So Far Poll. It got my vote.
Well, that answers a question for me! It's a really strong record that never really seems to lose the joy of the first play, if you know what I mean by that. Great use of horns.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I'll have to agree to differ! Listening again to Illinois after a break, I fond all of it good and enjoyable, and the variety and quality over that variety little short of remarkable. You're writing a similar description to my feelings about Guillemots, but I will play it some more. Rufus, for sure (though as I said, just not remotely in the same league), don't know Ben Folds well enough to comment, and didn't get a sense of The Who, but will bear that in mind. I quite liked Sao Paulo. It's the maddest place I've been, endless and sprawling, its existence makes you wonder what on earth the human race is doing to itself, and the song seems to capture some of that. I assume the Brazilian one is from there.

No other takers for Thom? the good bits are sticking in my head a lot. I love his voice, one of the most impressive singers around, and that for me is the very best thing about this record.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Hmmm, agree to disagree does seem to be the best course of action on the whole Sufjan / Guillemots debates.

As for Thom Yorke. I've tried it. I don't dislike it, and a couple of tracks are very good but it doesn't seem passionate enough for me. I've read that Nigel Godrich got him to make the vocals clearer and more 'normal' and so as a result I don't feel like this album quite knows what it wants to be. I get the feeling given full control Thom would have made it more experimental, and also that Godrich was still thinking Top Ten album potential whilst working with him. It's slightly too cold, and I don't mean that as a sweeping dismissal of all electronic music, because plenty of it is utterly fantastic, but on this it doesn't seem to completely catch light.
Otis Westinghouse

Nice one, Nigel! Less clear/normal vocals and more 'let's be experimental' would have got very tedious. As I observed above, the vocals are what make it for me. Pretty passionate compared to some of Radiohead's recent output! More always welcome, true. In this case 'more accessible' to me = 'more enjoyable'.
Otis Westinghouse

The Word mag CDs are fantastic ways to hear new stuff, always at the very least interesting from start to finish. New one is no exception. There's a Bristol singer Jane Taylor on it whose Fall On Me (not a cover of REM!) was played on the Johnny Walker radio 2 show and caused a storm of email, and it's wonderful indeed.

http://www.janetaylor.co.uk/newsandgigs.html

She's playing Cambridge this month, tiny venue not far from me, but I'll be in Spain. :cry:
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

but I'll be in Spain. :D
fixed your post, Otis.

Sittin' and Thinkin'
Like me, the "g" is silent.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Just finished listening to and watching (and singing along to :D ) this :

Amazing collection of videos and tv footage.
Most of the tracks – like the irresistible Girlfriend In A Coma, How Soon Is Now, There Is A Light That Never Goes Out or Panic, are truly among the best songs EVER.
And Morrissey swinging his hips, with a tree (well, almost) sticking out of his back pocket is extremely, if probably unintentionally, funny.
On a sadder note, just realized that twenty years have passed since those great days.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

That one's passed me by. Is it new? Live footage other than Top of the Pops or other TV?
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:That one's passed me by. Is it new? Live footage other than Top of the Pops or other TV?
It was released on VHS in 1992 and as a DVD in 2000.
TV footage is from Top Of The Pops, except for This Charming Man, which has been licensed from Tyne Tees Television (??).
Apart from that, a few videos including four directed by Derek Jarman - The Queen Is Dead, There Is A Light ..., Panic and Ask.
Not much - just 50 minutes - but all of it brilliant.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Never really listened to him before, only heard a piece here and there. Interesting to hear the whole record and note how many essential templates are there. Also interesting to play this after listening to Ali Farka Toure's Savane and listen to the comparisons between the Malian 'desert blues' and this American counterpart. What I don't quite know is how much of the Malian music is influenced by the American and how mucch is the original root. But I will perservere.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Hard-Fi - Stars of CCTV
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

What do you think?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm really enjoying it and was doubly pleased to see they're playing at V Festival this weekend. However I've interrupted its playing because I'm currently playing Live Jam in the car and drove in to work singing along to When You're Young. 8) (the song - not my singing).

Otis - by the way there was a programme on Channel 4 last night where Keane were singing live. And. I. Was. Enjoying. It.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I was actually sent this almost two years ago, but am only now discovering how cool it is... kind of socially conscious reggae with funky horns.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse

Piney Gir is a new name to me, but there's a song on the new The Word CD, I Don't Know Why I Feel Like Crying But I Do from their new Hold Yer Horses LP.
verbal gymnastics wrote:Otis - by the way there was a programme on Channel 4 last night where Keane were singing live. And. I. Was. Enjoying. It.
See! You just had to shake off your prejudices. You're going to love that gig, honest.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Haven't heard that, but I like this one. Very much a homemade-sounding album, but lots of fun.
wes

Post by wes »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:But does anyone living in Toledo...
Haha, I figured that would be coming.

Anyways, currently: Talking Heads- Psycho Killer (Live, The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads)
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Two Trains - Little Feat (from Dixie Chicken)
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Dipping into the library a little bit...

BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Tom Petty's third solo album in a 30-year career with the Heartbreakers. Jeff Lynne produces. Hardly his best album, but still enjoyable. It kind of has the same feel as Full Moon Fever, but Petty plays most of the instruments himself.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Like me, the "g" is silent.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Otis Westinghouse

There was a Tom Petty track on the self-same The Word sampler. Pleasant, but so utterly Dylan-derivative as to make it pastiche.