Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

England players get an England cap for each appearance.
Scottish players get a Scottish cap for each appearance.
Do Dutch players get a Dutch cap?
signed with love and vicious kisses
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

LC - enjoy it whilst you can!

I reckon you boys are in for a tonking in the second leg.

I'm putting a bet on 3-0.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Well....no comment. Never write off a Scottish side though, unless they're supposed to win easily...Costa Rica, Peru, Morrocco, Faroe Islands, Estonia when they're not even there...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

A little something for Otis. Cristiano Ronaldo's training video

http://www.tomnufc.beigetower.org/images/ronaldo.gif
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Hey Sam...how do you see the games in the States? Is it possible you could see the international qualifiers for Euro2003?

What channels do you get them on?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

laughingcrow wrote:Hey Sam...how do you see the games in the States? Is it possible you could see the international qualifiers for Euro2003?

What channels do you get them on?
Fox Sports World show several live and tape-delayed matches each weekend. They also show some Monday evening and midweek PL matches. In addition, there is a pay-per-view package that you can buy that offers live PL games on Saturday and Sunday.

The coverage of European competitions is poor. ESPN owns the Champions League rights and insists on Machester United or Real Madrid, no matter who they are playing. Wish I could get the Spanish language version of ESPN - ESPN Deportes - as it's almost wall-to-wall footy. I have not been able to catch any of the European qualifiers on TV. The best bet there is a footy-friendly pub.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Inter Milan 1 Arsenal 5

Well that shut the fucking snipers up.
I'll fight anyone who doesn't agree that Thierry Henry is the best player in the world.
Even before the last couple of freebie goals I thought Arsenal's performance was top class, and following the v.good display at Birmingham last Saturday it seems that they are finally getting their form of early last season back. I just hope that they can keep it going this time, they have already proved they can top the league without playing consistently well so it is suddenly all looking rosy. However they will probably go and slip up at home to Fulham on saturday now!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

laughingcrow wrote:Watch for Arsenal's euro-revival starting today by the way, they're gonna qualify ..6pts at home and a point in Milan might be enough if Kiev lose in Moscow in a fortnight.
Hey...look what I said a couple of weeks ago SL! Don't blame me...some peformance though, AND without Viera!

I was at the Celtic game...good match, ok result, if they get a point they qualify now. Rangers will lose tonight unfortunately, but hopefully Chelsea and United win so they go through at least.

NB...I wish I'd never posted those pics from the Holland game now :oops: what a f**king nightmare!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

laughingcrow wrote:NB...I wish I'd never posted those pics from the Holland game now :oops: what a f**king nightmare!
As the old joke goes "and you were lucky to get nil". I had the bet at 3-0. I didn't realise it was for the full game :lol:

Arsenal were superb last night. Henry is definitely the best player in the world without a doubt although I'm only saying that because I don't want to fight Solacklustre! Everyone knows the best player in the world is [insert fighting talk player here].
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Altruistic bum

Post by Altruistic bum »

Hi , i'm a season ticket holder at Birmingham and no doubt in my mind that Arsenal are the best team i've seen this season.

Man U. Strong , efficient, Chelsea classy and getting there, Arsenal breath - taking on their good days ( why is it always aginst us :( )

Theirs was the best performance by any team I saw last season too.

Thierry Henry best player in the world ?..... Probably.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Altruistic bum wrote:Hi , i'm a season ticket holder at Birmingham and no doubt in my mind that Arsenal are the best team i've seen this season.

Man U. Strong , efficient, Chelsea classy and getting there, Arsenal breath - taking on their good days ( why is it always aginst us :( )

Theirs was the best performance by any team I saw last season too.

Thierry Henry best player in the world ?..... Probably.
Welcome. Good to have a Brum supporter on board. How do you like Forssell? Do you think you'll end up with him? I'd hate to see him leave Chelsea, but we have an abundance of strikers.

Good luck to you. Brum is one of the better teams we've played this season. The Arse result was an aberration.
Altruistic bum

Post by Altruistic bum »

Hello and thanks Who shot sam .

I've been really impressed by Mikael Forssell ( The Finn White Duke ! - on account of his paleness and erm Finnishness ) , he's way ahead of anything we've had at Brum for many, many years in terms of a goalscorer.
Such quick feet and good control, it's a bit of a shame for him that at the moment he's in a team that creates so few chances, yet despite that he's scored 5 in 9 I think.

I can see why you wouldn't want him to leave Chelsea certainly. As you say you've plenty of strikers so maybe that might give us a chance of signing him at the end of the season, though i think there will be interest from many clubs around Europe.

Good to see Damien Duff going so well at Chelsea and was particularly impressed with Glen Johnson and Wayne Bridge at St. Andrews a few weeks back.

There was something in the local paper from David Sullivan about Birmingham being interested in one or two more " fringe " players from the Chelsea squad, I know Gronjkaer was one of them, what do you think ?
laughingcrow

RESPECT DUE!

Post by laughingcrow »

(to the tune of Lilly the Pink by the Scaffold)

Ohhhh I'll...drink a drink a drink
to Stevie the king the king the king
the saviour of
the Wanderers team
He's the greatest centre-forward
that the wooooorld has ever seen!

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Altruistic bum wrote:Hello and thanks Who shot sam .

I've been really impressed by Mikael Forssell ( The Finn White Duke ! - on account of his paleness and erm Finnishness ) , he's way ahead of anything we've had at Brum for many, many years in terms of a goalscorer.
Such quick feet and good control, it's a bit of a shame for him that at the moment he's in a team that creates so few chances, yet despite that he's scored 5 in 9 I think.

I can see why you wouldn't want him to leave Chelsea certainly. As you say you've plenty of strikers so maybe that might give us a chance of signing him at the end of the season, though i think there will be interest from many clubs around Europe.

Good to see Damien Duff going so well at Chelsea and was particularly impressed with Glen Johnson and Wayne Bridge at St. Andrews a few weeks back.

There was something in the local paper from David Sullivan about Birmingham being interested in one or two more " fringe " players from the Chelsea squad, I know Gronjkaer was one of them, what do you think ?
I don't think we would (or should) let Gronkjaer go. Forssell is likely to leave at the end of the season - too many strikers for too few places. Whether Brum can afford him is another matter. It would also not surprise me to see Babayaro, Melchiot and Stanic depart

Great win this weekend. Lampard, Terry and Makelele immense. Why Real let Makelele go I will never understand.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Should have been a draw, but there you go. Fair dues Chelsea. Our day will come. Funny old game, Arsenal beat Inter 5-1 away yet can't score at home to Fulham, but Inter go and beat Serie A leaders Juve, apparently unbeaten for 12 games or something. I guess that reversal of midweek fortune at the weekend is quite a common feature. It's certainly been the case with United at times. best news is that Arsenal didn't score, and that Lampard netted my fantasy team 11 points, though I did wrestle in my conscience with relief that I hadn't made him the captain and doubled the points at my real team's expense, and regret that I missed out on the extra points. Such a conflict of the real and the virtual.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Should have been a draw, but there you go. Fair dues Chelsea. Our day will come. Funny old game, Arsenal beat Inter 5-1 away yet can't score at home to Fulham, but Inter go and beat Serie A leaders Juve, apparently unbeaten for 12 games or something. I guess that reversal of midweek fortune at the weekend is quite a common feature. It's certainly been the case with United at times. best news is that Arsenal didn't score, and that Lampard netted my fantasy team 11 points, though I did wrestle in my conscience with relief that I hadn't made him the captain and doubled the points at my real team's expense, and regret that I missed out on the extra points. Such a conflict of the real and the virtual.
Don't agree that it should have been a draw. You had a total of one shot on target. Why is Fergie playing Giggs out on the right? Mystifying. Your squad is thin, but I think you'll go shopping in January for reinforcements. Then it should get interesting.

Van der Sar was immense against Arsenal. One great save after another. I like Fulham to beat Liverpool to that fourth CL place, assuming Saha and Malbranque stay healthy.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

You want Fulham to win..... :shock: what would your west-london counterparts think???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!

This is going to be an interesting season for the title, cos when Chelsea have their bad spell the rotation could go to pot/angry players/tabloid headlines etc...and this is even before Robby Carlos has joined!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

laughingcrow wrote:You want Fulham to win..... :shock: what would your west-london counterparts think???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!

This is going to be an interesting season for the title, cos when Chelsea have their bad spell the rotation could go to pot/angry players/tabloid headlines etc...and this is even before Robby Carlos has joined!
There's not much of a real rivalry with Fulham to be honest. Until they were promoted a few seasons ago, we hadn't played them in something like 20-25 years. Sure, they are Chelsea's nearest neighbors, but I don't think they arouse the same level of feeling as Arsenal and Tottenham. And I do like Malbranque - one of the PL's more underappreciated players. When I was over in London two years ago, I saw Fulham play West Ham at Upton Park. Malbranque was far and away the best player on the pitch and he gave West Ham all they could handle.

We will go through a bad patch at some point, but I think Ranieri can hold it all together. And I don't want Roberto Carlos.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Great weekend! Brilliant to see Leeds hold Chelsea (especially as Pennant is in my fantasy team) and even better to see Leicester get that sweet equaliser (and to watch the Henry fantasy players missing out). Not only did we hammer Villa for an easy 4-0, I made Ruud captain again for the first time in a while. Fantasy is definitely overtaking reality as I found myself regretting that Forlan got a second as someone else who's ahead of me in our league has him and I don't.

Altruistic Bum, what the hell were Birmingham up to? And this on the day I signed Forsell (influenced by you!).

Did anyone see those two awesome Scott Parker goals against Southampton. Unbelievably good, especially the second. Imagine if he could do that for England! What an exciting game that was.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Great weekend! Brilliant to see Leeds hold Chelsea (especially as Pennant is in my fantasy team) and even better to see Leicester get that sweet equaliser (and to watch the Henry fantasy players missing out). Not only did we hammer Villa for an easy 4-0, I made Ruud captain again for the first time in a while. Fantasy is definitely overtaking reality as I found myself regretting that Forlan got a second as someone else who's ahead of me in our league has him and I don't.

Altruistic Bum, what the hell were Birmingham up to? And this on the day I signed Forsell (influenced by you!).

Did anyone see those two awesome Scott Parker goals against Southampton. Unbelievably good, especially the second. Imagine if he could do that for England! What an exciting game that was.
Don't understand why Parker doesn't figure for England. Underrated player IMHO. Fair dues to Leeds. They played hard and with some of the quality they have (Smith, Viduka, Robinson), they should not be at the bottom of the table. That's been a terrible ground for us, so I'll take the point and enjoy Leicester drawing against Arsenal.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Im guessing he doesn't figure for England cos there is a surplus of right-footed central midfielders in the team...he's definitely one to watch though, maybe England should think about bringing back B internationals like Scotland have done, give players like Parker, Robinson, Terry, Defoe etc, a chance to play.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

So, Man United, Arsenal and Chelsea all into the next round of the Champions League. Will be interesting to see who we draw. Betcha we get Bayern and Arsenal draw the weakest team remaining.

By the way, disgraceful behavior by the Turkish fans during the Besiktas match in Germany. UEFA needs to come down hard on the Turks - they have been getting away with this garbage for years. A friend of mine who was at the match was hit by a padlock and needed to be taken to the hospital. Despicable.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Christmas is coming
The goose is getting fat
Chelsea start losing
And that’s just a fact
John

The simple pleasures in life

Post by John »

What a wonderful day

Portsmouth 1 Everton 2
Liverpool 1 Southampton 2

Deep joy

Sorry Elvis, but one of the few good days for Merseyside football. :D
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Sweet child of mine! Don't tell me you're a Toffee, John?

Bloody south coast football teams *shaking fist*. It never rains, it pours.

I'm going to watch Pop Idol and drown my sorrows in a cheap bottle of wine. No, no one can stop me....