Baseball's back

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

OK, the league is set. I went with "Brilliant Mistake", since that's what it may well turn out to be. Next step - PM me with your e-mail contact info and I will send you an invitation to join, which should take you directly there and help you get your team set up. Any of you I don't hear from by Thursday I will PM. There will be an auto-draft sometime later this week or this weekend (once I tell Yahoo! that we are ready to draft), and the games begin on Sunday I believe. Batter up!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Invitations have been sent to those of you who have responded so far - BWAP, oily, BlueChair and Goody2Shoes :D. I assume that Yahoo! will be sending password information along with the invitation, but if not, the password is TKO.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Here is a brief explanation of the rotisserie scoring system. I have chosen the Yahoo! default stat categories only (five batting stats - runs scored, home runs, RBIs, batting average, stolen bases and five pitching stats - earned run average, wins, saves, strikeouts, and walks+hits per innings pitched):

In a Rotisserie League, fantasy teams are ranked from first to last in each of several statistical categories. Points are then awarded according to the order of finish in each category, and are totalled to determine an overall score and place.

So, if you are in a 12-team league, the team with the most home runs will receive 12 points, the team with the second most will receive 11 points, etc. In the case of a tie, each team involved receives an average of the total points due -- i.e., in the above example, if two teams were tied for first in homers, each would receive 11.5 points [(12 + 11) / 2 = 11.5].

Therefore, the maximum number of points that a team can earn is equal to the number of scoring categories within a league multiplied by the number of teams in the league. Similarly, the lowest number of points that a team can earn is equal to the number of scoring categories multiplied by one, which is the lowest score that can be achieved in any category.

So, if you were playing in a league with 12 teams and 12 scoring categories, the lowest point total possible is 12 [12 * 1 = 12] and the highest is 144 [12 * 12 = 144].

Rankings within the individual scoring categories (HR, RBI, etc.) are based on the cumulative stats earned by all active players during the season and not on any individual day or game.

Therefore, the overall ranking of your team will rise and fall depending on how it performs relative to the performance of other league members. So, the phenomenon of "losing points" can be explained as your rank falling in one or more of the statistical categories used in your league.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i haven't received anything yet.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just re-sent to you, oily. Let me know if you get it.

For any of you who PM'd me but have not yet received an invite, there may be spam filter issues with certain ISPs. If so, you can simply navigate here:

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com ... createjoin

Select "Join Custom League". When you are prompted for a league ID, enter the League number, which is 286072 and the password, which is TKO. That should allow you to get set up.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

got it.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

OK, we have seven players now - I have two other possibles that might be interested (non-board folk, but the very best kind). BWAP is the only one of those who had expressed interest in playing who has not yet set up his team (BWAP I sent you an e-mail today, but let me know if you didn't get it). crash is on board as of this evening, so that should make 8. In any case, I am reasonably confident that we can get to 10 players, a nice round number.

Once we have all the teams set (hopefully tomorrow), I will designate the league as draft-ready. Once your players are selected, make any changes you want (don't forget to take a look at the undrafted players - sometimes there are sleepers in there that may be better than the stiffs you ended up with), propose any trades you think might fly, set your opening day line-up, then sit back with a nice cold one and watch the Red Sox rub it in the Yankees' faces on Sunday night.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just waiting for crash to set up his team. It's going to be a nine-team league, from the looks of it. I'll e-mail everyone once the draft has happened.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

i am setting it up now
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

OK, I will set the draft status to ready once crash is done, then the draft should happen shortly after - I don't know how long Yahoo! takes to do it.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Okay I am in. The Virginia Squires are ready to draft
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

OK, folks. You should have received notification from Yahoo! that your team has been drafted. You can make any changes you like. Also, please note that the designation in red letters "DL" next to a player's name indicates that he is on the disabled list - you may or may not want to keep such players, depending on how long the recovery time is projected to be. You can link to info like that through the league homepage - there's an injury link, if I'm not mistaken.

In any case, good luck to everyone who decided to participate, including several newbies. Now batter up!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I have a grown man named Chipper on my team.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Boy With A Problem wrote:I have a grown man named Chipper on my team.
:D It's actually Larry. If my parents had lumbered me witha name like Larry, I might have chosen Chipper too.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I have a grown man called junior on my team.
signed with love and vicious kisses
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

WHIP?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

WHIP is a statistic that measures a pitcher's ability to keep batters off the bases. It is calculated as: (bases on balls + hits allowed) / (innings pitched).
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

By the way, I don't know if I made this clear anywhere, but only your starting players' statistics count. Those with a "BN" next to their names are bench players.

If you have a player "riding the pine" who happens to hit three homers and drive in 8 runs, none of it counts in your favor. It's only valid if he's in the lineup. But it works both ways. For example, if one of your pitchers gets lit up like a Christmas tree but is on the bench that day, it doesn't count against you.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I'm trying not to be an annoying newbie right out of the box like this, but I'm a little confused about what to do with my pitchers. The starting pitchers and relief pitchers, and the bench-sitters are pretty self-explanatory, but what of the pitchers that are designated "P"? I understand that the bench guys' stats won't affect me, but is it better to designate those "P" guys as starters or relievers, or just leave them as they are?

Also, is it better to move guys who are on the DL to your bench, or get rid of them altogether. For example, Eric Gagne was just put on the 15-day DL today, (though this isn't reflected on Yahoo yet - what gives?) but I'd like to keep him, cause I think he might be just fine later.

Is there anything like a primer on this stuff anywhere?

Sorry, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the name Larry, and it is a universe better than a grown man called Mr. Chipper!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Goody, as I understand it, the P or SP designation makes no difference stat-wise. Their numbers are counted the same - it's just that starters and relievers can both fill those spots when players are drafted. As for players on the DL, it all depends on how long you expect that player to be out. At this point, I would hold on to Gagné with dear life (he's my favorite player and I think he'll be back soon), but if he gets placed on the 60-day DL, it would make sense to move him. Gagné is probably the only player on your roster who is going to earn you saves, and while you can go a week or two without a save, any longer than that will really hurt you.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Another one from me! How does the Util player work? Can anyone be your Util player?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yes, you can assign any of your players as the UTIL player. Think of it as a designated hitter, since our league doesn't factor in defensive stats.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

No, no, I'd also like to keep Gagne, and I will till we see what happens with his injury. I was just confused about the difference between P and SP. thanks.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

OK, thanks.

Next question though. I made two changes but my team for monday has removed both the players I ditched but only put in one with the other position showing --emply--. What's that all about huh? I checked your team WSS and it appears to be doing the same there.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

When you drop a player and add another, the new player is not automatically added to your lineup in place of the player you dropped. In this case, all you need to do to make that happen is click on your Monday lineup, then select the position you want him to fill in the lineup - OF, SS, 2B, whatever - next to that player's name. There should be a little drop-down menu of the various options. I added Jeromy Burnitz in place of Patterson, who I put on waivers. So next to Burnitz's name in the Monday lineup I just selected OF instead of BN and clicked confirm changes at the bottom.

Needless to say, for each player there is only a certain position or number of positions he can play. You can't stick a big-hitting outfielder in as your shortstop, for example.

Once you add a player to your lineup he will stay there unless you remove him.

Looking more closely at your team, I assume that what you want to do is put Kotsay in the lineup. For some reason, however, your Monday lineup already shows three outfielders. So to put one of them on the bench and put Kotsay in the outfield instead, just select BN next to the guy you want to take out, OF in the drop-down menu next to Kotsay, then click confirm changes.