Devils & Dust roll call...

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Yes but what about the taking it up the arse bit?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

That's the song Reno, about visiting a prostitute.

"Two hundred dollars straight in, two fifty up the ass", she smiled and said
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The album's worst track, in my humble opinion
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I got this for Doc for his birthday and he's listening to it now, so he should have some comments to offer later.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

BlueChair wrote:The album's worst track, in my humble opinion
I think it's a cool fucking song of Bruce's (not to mention a 'fucking song').

I like the lines with various and possibly conflicting subtextually implied statements in it. "we rode with the vaqueros down into the cool rivers of green. I was sure the work and that smile coming out 'neath your hat was all I'd ever need. Somehow all you ever need's, never quite enough you know. You and I, Maria, we learned it's so."

It's a smart study of experience with "the oldest profession". Maybe one of the smartest ever put in a song, imho. In fact, I don't know of too many intelligent 'going to see a hooker' songs. Could someone care to direct me? Otis -- Motorhead, perhaps? :)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Bruce has just always been so good at veiling his songs. The stuff on Nebraska is a good example. On "Reno," he's just way too direct that it comes off ridiculous. I actually laughed out loud when I first heard that line.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I just bought the record and it may very well be my fave Bruce record as well. Great arrangements and IMHO his best set of lyrics ever, Reno included. And lots of interesting intertextualities between the songs if you're looking too. For example, after hearing the narrator reminisce bittersweetly about "Maria" while getting a blowjob from a prostitute, Maria's Bed is not the happy pill it would have been if released as a standalone single (which wouldn't have been a dumb move). And lots of desert throughout. And dusty people.

The Hitter could have been co-written by Bukowski.

I love the new arrangement of All The Way Home. The rocking treatment obviously totally transforms the sentiment of the lyrics, and while I love the original, this is even better. Also, the new melody sounds a lot like Kris Kristoferson's They Killed Him, a great song more often than not buried under bad arrangements.

I'll stop now, and listen to the record again.

I'm so glad I'm seeing Springsteen twice next month (and Elvis twice too).
What this world needs is more silly men.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

bambooneedle wrote:Otis -- Motorhead, perhaps? :)
Well remembered. Actually, I haven't got as far as playing that yet, but it may well have some gems to offer on that score!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

It's a wonderfully intimate, rough around the edges and organic album. Hope to catch him solo again if he comes around.

Latest tour news: http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/artic ... 1000955552
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Glad to see a Toronto date, though it's a shame that he's bringing his solo act to a hockey arena considering he's playing theatres in some cities.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

MP3s from the recent Brussels and Rome shows here: http://www.springsteen.nl/
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

bambooneedle wrote:It's a wonderfully............... organic album
no guest appearances from the Chemical Bros then?
corruptio optimi pessima
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Of course a lot of shows from the tour are up on dimeadozen, but I'm waiting until I see him twice next weekend. He's playing Gothenburg and Stockholm Thursday and Saturday, and Friday is midsummer's eve, which is party holiday of the year over here. I'm spending the whole weekend with ten or so other guitar playing Springsteen fans I grew up with, none of whom stayed in our little town and will be great to see again. I'm glad I love Devils & Dust so it's not all nostalgia.
What this world needs is more silly men.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Jackson Monk wrote:
bambooneedle wrote:It's a wonderfully............... organic album
no guest appearances from the Chemical Bros then?
Not organic like manure... The sounds meld together very well.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Just ordered my tickets for Springsteen's Toronto date... 5th row centre!!!

- update - after having been on sale for 15 minutes, I checked again and only seats in the 3rd tier are now available.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I was up late last night and I found myself a little gently drunk and feeling in the mood for a bit of music. I lit up a small cigar, popped another bud open and put itunes on shuffle.

Silver Palomino came on and i truly realised the genius that is Springsteen. A beautiful song that had me reaching for the lyric sheet (which reiterated the brilliance).

Not many artists are able to recreate their earlier brillaince, but Devils and Dust is every bit as good as Nebraska and infinitely better than Tom Joad.

I love this record.
corruptio optimi pessima