And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis plays Athens , Greece Oct. 26 '11

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Don't Bother Me/It Don't Bother Me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94POyQIO504
Watching The Detectives: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RG4KTYv0OI
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

Elvis posted this on his website: http://www.elviscostello.com/news/no-i- ... humans/243

Elvis Costello
Athens: Megaron: 26th October 2011

Bullets For The New-Born King
Accidents Will Happen
Veronica
Either Side Of The Same Town
New Amsterdam
Last Boat Leaving
Everyday I Write The Book
Bedlam
Don't Bother Me/It Don't Bother Me
She
Watching The Detectives
A Slow Drag With Josephine
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
Alison

Almost Blue
Shot With His Own Gun
A Voice In The Dark
I Want You

National Ransom No.5
Shipbuilding
Peace, Love And Understanding
Oliver's Army
All These Strangers
"Everything Important I Learned In Life Was From Woody Allen."
krm

Post by krm »

hmmmmm.....National Ransom No5! :-)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

That's exactly what I thought!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I also hope this trend of posting the setlists continues.

I'd like to know what the vegetables and humans comment is about.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

On the Istanbul gig thread I mention trying to get someone I know in Athens to go to the show, and she couldn't as she was travelling to NYC the next day and too busy preparing, but she then sent me this rather amazing email:

"Funny you should recommend places for gigs in NY...I got some special tips from a guy I was sitting next to on my flight to London this morning...oh, what was his name??? Begins with an E and he played a gig in Athens last night...Elvis Costello, that's the name!!!

Couldn't believe it when he sat next to me, really nice and down-to-earth guy! Managed to swing an autograph for you ;)"

Woohoo! Can you imagine that experience? Needless to say I've plied her with questions, but she's away for another 10 days. I'll share any more details.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Stuck on a plane sitting next to EC?! That's a scary thought. Think he'd appreciate my YouTube videos?
Otis Westinghouse

I'm sure he'd be touched! I would be totally overwhelmed, bit like Gil (Owen WIlson) meeting Hemingway et al in Midnight in Paris. My worry would be if we got talking, how would you shut up and leave him in peace? I've always wanted to tell him about my first gig ever being the Guernsey 1980 three-piece mad guitar effects event (especially as he writes in the Trust notes that those present are too scarred to talk about it to this day! I'd have to say 'Just tell me when you've had enough'!

The Anglo-Greek friend on the plane grew up in London but is a Liverpool fan (we're fantasy football rivals). Sound familiar? Not sure she knew about this aspect of Elvis, fortunately!
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

That is timeless. I,too, would be fearful, if in a similar situation, of not knowing when to stop talking. What is most telling for me is that he can still maintain a modicum of anonymity as I strongly suspect the majority of this world , outside of us 'zealots', have no clue as to who he is or what he looks like. Nice for him that way. Love the ' this guy I happened to be seated next to' aspect of the story.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Otis Westinghouse

The above-mentioned travelling companion of Elvis is now back in Athens and writes a brief comment:

'He recommended a jazz club called Village Vanguard in New York which I actually managed to get to during my trip. Nice and personal and very authentic. The group who were playing on the evening I went weren't unfortunately that great, but still the club was a good experience...and who wouldn't follow Elvis' recommendations?!?

Oh, and he also joked about giving me a personal tour of New York...must have been my charm ;)'

[Blimey, she was in there with Elvis, the old goat!]

And then when I told her I wouldn't be seeing her as soon as she thought and begged her for more detail, she sent a fuller account:

'Re Elvis, he did mention on the plane that his father was quite ill and that the concert in Athens was on the verge of not happening. He seemed to think it went down well in Athens, just a real shame I didn't manage to get to it...felt like a bit of an idiot asking him about the gig when I wasn't there, so decided to talk more about New York. We did chat a little about the Greek crisis and similarities with Ireland and he sympathised with the Greeks.

He said one of the best things to do in NY is just spend the afternoon/evening going from one place to another - bars, restaurants, cafes - and just having a little something to eat/drink at each place so you get to enjoy lots of variety. He also recommended a library [JP Morgan, it turns out] instead of going to ALL the big exhibitions. Incidentally, it was business class on BA and must have been fate that I ended up next to him as someone asked to change seats with me at the check in desk because they wanted to sit next to someone else in economy, which meant I got an upgrade, PLUS a seat next to a guy wearing an extremely cool purple hat called Elvis! Also mentioned he had a son starting primary, or secondary (can't remember) school in Canada and that it made it important to try and stay in one place rather than travelling around as much. Needless to say, his voice was absolutely gorgeous just speaking so no surprises he has such a fantastic singing voice. And just a really nice, down to earth, humble guy.'

Sounds like there was a little something in the air! Are the twins old enough to be starting school? Nursery school? Maybe the plan with all the furious touring of the last year and into next was to get it out of his system before staying put a bit more.

Can you imagine being in this scenario? The closest I've come was in Berlin in 1988 when (and apols to anyone who's read this one before) my friend marched up to the only free tables in a bar which were at the table of a man with an unmistakeable white quiff that I recognised immediately. I wanted to call to her 'You can't sit there, it's Jim Jarmusch!', but too late, so I hurried into the toilet, and by the time I returned, she was asking 'So what do you do for a living?' I was then able to turn into fanboy, telling him I'd seen Down By Law at least 5 times, and getting details on hanging out with Tom Waits!

Call me starstruck, but my God, on a plane next to Elvis!
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

He is absolutely right about shows at the Morgan- I have seen so many good retrospectives and exhibits there over the years-one of my favorite places in NYC. Can never get enough of JP's library, as well. The secret is the smaller crowds- never rushed to get though an exhibition. And I knew it- EC is a closet jazz enthusiast- next time I am at the Vanguard will have to scan the audience for a 'stylish' chapeau.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'