Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Excellent - Mrs VG is out that night!

Party at my house!!!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Will we be having nibbles VG? Huh? huh? :lol:

Latest team news at the Lane - Robbie Keane returns but latest injury list now includes Anthony Gardner (hairline fracture, fibula) and Benoit Assou-Ekotto (knee). The news was better on JJ as Martin said he might be available.

I can find nothing on Berbatovs injury which was announced on the tv, which suggests as Jackson said it may have been a big fat fib!! Mr jol must have ulcers on the end of his tongue! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Gillibeanz wrote:I can find nothing on Berbatovs injury which was announced on the tv, which suggests as Jackson said it may have been a big fat fib!! Mr jol must have ulcers on the end of his tongue! :lol:
Rumour has it that MJ was ordered to play Berby by the board. He wanted to rest him for the UEFA Cup match tonight but Levy and others insisted he play instead of Mido. For once I'm thankful to the board for interfering.
corruptio optimi pessima
verbal gymnastics

Gillibeanz wrote:Will we be having nibbles VG? Huh? huh? :lol:
You and me gilli? Of course :wink: - would you like me to nibble your ears or your neck or both or...elsewhere?. :wink: :wink: I might need to go into extra time though.
Gillibeanz wrote:I can find nothing on Berbatovs injury which was announced on the tv, which suggests as Jackson said it may have been a big fat fib!! Mr jol must have ulcers on the end of his tongue! :lol:
verbal gymnastics wrote:Berbatov didn't look as if he was struggling - perhaps the strain was invented as a way of spindoctoring the awful decision to bring Mido on at a time when Jol didn't think Spurs would lose.
Credit where it's due gilli :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Looking forward to meeting Blackburn at Wembley.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Looking forward to meeting Blackburn at Wembley.
As spectators? Chels v Watford, for certain! :wink: :wink:
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Having been at WHL last night, can I throw in some sour grapes.

Spurs were lack-lustre and just weren't at the races. Terry had Berbatov in his pocket all night and the Bulgarian appeared to lack a stomach for the fight. The goals were very well taken and although i wouldn't say Chelsea were anything special, our overall performance was not worthy of progression to the semis. Keane, Berby and Lennon had stinkers and Chelsea crusied in the end.

However......I have reached the conclusion that Ambramovich must be providing whores and crack to the suits at the FA. That can be the only excuse for the appalingly weak refereeing that went on last night. The last 15 mins saw Drogba (who else) and Carvalho dropping to the ground with fake injuries, multiple substitutions, Cole holding onto the ball for an eternity at throw ins with no whistle to hurry him up, a chelsea coach hiding the ball under the bench during a 'Drogba' stoppage' and Cech suddenly becoming incapacitated every time he had a goal kick. It just makes a mockery of the game. The last 15 mins were just a total waste of time and had nothing to do with football. All Chelsea were interested in was time wasting and whining on at the referee without censure. I don't blame Chelsea, I blame the FA for allowing it to happen. Personally, I don't think we'd have scored anyway because we were having a real off-night - but that is not the point.

With regard to the incident at the end, I saw clearly what happened. The oik ran on the pitch and shouted at Lampard who turned around before the oik tried to punch and kick him. The idiot must have been very drunk because it was a woeful effort - if you're gonna do this kind of thing, you have to hit the target surely. Drogba then took the opportunity to jump up and down on the Oik's ankle whilst the stewards held him down. Fair enough I say. If you run on the pitch and attack even the most odious player, then you have it coming in my view. Let's be honest though, it was only a matter of time before someone tried to smack his smug little face.

However, before the FA throw the book at Spurs (which they obviously will), I hope that they have the balls to consider the actions of Cole and Lampard before the incident. Standing in front of the home supporters goading them and asking them to come on the field and take them on is not only irresponsible, it's downright childish and demonstrates the level of maturity of the pair of them.

I have never ever wanted Man Utd to win the treble so badly...please let it happen. This is not out of bitterness as Utd have recently ripped us to shreds. It's because they play football the way is should be played.

More importantly, I hope to God that Jose Mourinho pisses off and is replaced by someone who knows how to get these very talented players team playing with flair, humilty, respect for the opposition and an understanding of the meaning of 'fair play'.

Come on Blackburn!!!
corruptio optimi pessima
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Sour grapes? That's a sour vineyard!
signed with love and vicious kisses
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

:lol:

And Gooners of all people should know what I mean!!!
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

What an absolute load of bullshit Jackson - I won't even bother to respond point by point. Let me just ask you this - how would the Spurs players have reacted if they had won the match at Stamford Bridge? Would they have gone down the tunnel to the dressing room to have a nice cup of tea, or would they have gone over to celebrate with their fans as Lampard and Cole did? There was nothing wrong with it.

I see people like that odious Scouse-loving toad Alan Green already trying to turn the tables and make this all about what Chelsea did wrong, rather than the actions of an idiot Spurs fan. It always seems to work that way with Chelsea and I'm sick of it.

You're a lovely lot, aren't you? Invading pitches to smack opposing players, smashing up West London pubs... The competition is better off without Spurs.
verbal gymnastics

Still, at least Emre isn't guilty of racist comments so that's something we should all be grateful for.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

For you, Jackson...

Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:What an absolute load of bullshit Jackson - I won't even bother to respond point by point. Let me just ask you this - how would the Spurs players have reacted if they had won the match at Stamford Bridge? Would they have gone down the tunnel to the dressing room to have a nice cup of tea, or would they have gone over to celebrate with their fans as Lampard and Cole did? There was nothing wrong with it.

You're a lovely lot, aren't you? Invading pitches to smack opposing players, smashing up West London pubs... The competition is better off without Spurs.
Christ...Nothing like stereotyping is there? Apparently us 'lot' all go around smashing up pubs and smacking oppositioin players. No doubt you think all black people are muggers and all Germans wear lederhosen and smack each other's bottoms with wet fish :roll:.......(actually the latter is true). I think you'll find that the Haringey Irish Club was set on fire by your mob in 2001 and that two of your supporters stabbed a policeman in one corresponding fixture. I think they must have been your hard core fans because most of the Chelsea fans I know are either either 10 year old girls or were supporting Manure up until 2001 :lol:

For the record, unlike most Chelsea 'fans' (as usual Chelsea didn't take up their allocation) I was there and I saw for myself the way that your knobhead players 'celebrated'. It was no different to what Neville did to Liverpool fans a year or so back and he got hit with a ban. Exactly what Cole and lampard should get. Spurs have already given that dick a life ban. I note that Chelsea have done nothing about their fan who ran on the pitch. No doubt he was just 'celebrating'.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:I note that Chelsea have done nothing about their fan who ran on the pitch.
...yet. He'll get banned.

Tell me, what would your players have done if you'd won at the Bridge? Be honest.

As for the stereotypes, you're all too happy to indulge (all Johnny Come Latelys, glory hunters, etc.), so why shouldn't I?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Spurs players would have come over and clapped us like they always do, win,lose or draw. They may have even punched the air - just like they did when we beat you in the league. I doubt very much that they would have been diving into the crowd and dancing up and down directly in front of the Chelsea fans with their shirts off. Ashley Cole went right up to the Spurs fans (not the Chelsea fans as has been widely reported) and started beating his bare chest and shouted obscenties at the crowd. At one point he laid out his palms in front of him clearly gesturing to Spurs fans to come and fight him. I can think of no Spurs player that would have done that. If they did, I'd have no time for him. As much as I will always despise what Sol Campbell did to Spurs, at least he always showed decorum and self-control when he came back.

Running on the pitch to attack a player is unacceptable and the stewards need a kick up the arse. Nobody wants the fences back.

I personally think it is wrong to celebrate a Q/F win as if you've won the cup already. Blackburn may not be the toughest match, but you still have to beat them and probably Utd.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

What obscenities did your supporters shout at Cole? If they abused him all game (which they probably did in the vilest possible fashion), they can hardly be surprised if he gives a bit back in return at the final whistle.

It was a big big match, a local derby and an impressive comeback after being 3-1 down at the Bridge - against a club in great form. Hardly your average quarterfinal.

Sorry you're so bitter. One more person added to the Chelsea haters list isn't going to matter. Join the crowd.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I know the guy that ran onto the pitch, he works in Des's Burger van at the ground, apparently Lampard had run up a massive tab and he was just trying to get it back his money so he could restock the beef and cheese slices.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I need to start eating some of those burgers.

I find the "Fat Frank" stuff mystifying.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

It goes back to his West Ham days when he wasn't called Frank Lampost for nothing. I agree that he's trimmer, but on the evidence of last night's striptease, him and Terry are hardly the most honed of athletes.

Obviously Chelsea fans will adore him as he bangs in goal after deflected goal in their world-beating midfield. However, until he shows even a modicum of this form for England, he will only ever be ridiculed by opposing fans.

He must be the worst ever midfielder to win so many caps for England. He never performs in his country's shirt and had an absolutely dreadful World Cup. I'd give his place to Kevin Nolan.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yeah, what a load...

I'd like to see someone else take Lampard's place in the England team, if for no other reason than it would force people to focus on someone else as a figure of scorn. On second thought, maybe not. They'd probably choose Terry.

The "deflected goals" thing was shown by the Guardian's The Knowledge column to be a myth.
"I know Chelsea's winner at Reading on Saturday went down as an Ivar Ingimarsson own-goal, but it begs the question: just how many of Frank Lampard's goals are deflected?" asks Adam Walkden.

This is a tricky one to answer comprehensively, Adam, as the, ahem, extensive Guardian Unlimited library doesn't include 'Lampard: the West Ham Years', so we were unable to research his output at Upton Park.

But we have done the necessary on Lampard's five-and-a-bit years at Stamford Bridge, and are surprised - and disappointed - to report that only six of his 73 goals for Chelsea have been deflected: a miserable 8%. If you take away penalties, that rises to just under 10% (six out of 62). Either way, it would seem that Lampard's deflected glory is not as great as the nation's many Frankophobes would have you believe. Still, he's getting better: none of the deflections came in his first two seasons at Stamford Bridge.
By the way, who taught your hooligans to fight? A truly pathetic display of girlie-like punching. He practically hopped and skipped his way up to Lampard.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Not at all. As I said earlier, Terry is a great player and his performances for England and Chelsea often make all the difference. We have a some great centre halfs in England, but Terry always gets in and there is clearly a reason for that. Woodgate, King, Upson and Carragher have not won many caps because of him.

Has Lampost ever had a good game for England?....I am genuinely struggling to think of one - not being nasty at all. He just gets in Gerrard's way.....now there's a world class midfielder! 8)

It's a shame Scholes retired. He complimented Gerrard very well.

Ps. Agree about the woeful attempt to get Lampard....what a waster opportunity :lol: Seriously though, at least he had a go face to face....not like your brave chaps...stamping on him when he was being held down by the stewards :roll:
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Lampard has not been good for England, but maybe it's just an issue of playing in a different system or alongside Gerrard, whose World Cup wasn't much better than Lampard's was.

For all his detractors (and I know a few Chelsea fans who can't stand him), Lampard's record in the Chelsea shirt is undeniably impressive. I'd take him over Gerrard on current form. Plus he's more durable.

Whatever your young man got he deserved. Idiot.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

So let me get this straight. You are advocating vigilante footballers. Do you think what Cantona did was acceptable because he was provoked?

The whole situation could have escalated into a really, really ugly incident last night. Spurs and Chelsea fans separated by a few stewards and a handful of cops and your team kicking the shit out of a bloke 25 yards away. Very responsible behaviour from the champions.

And please stop associating that twat with me....GWB is busy facillitating the rape and murder of innocent Iraqi citzens, but I don't refer to him as your old man :roll:
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm advocating. Give me a farking break. You're just being childish. :roll:

What would your reaction have been if that fan went after Lampard with a knife? Ever heard of Monica Seles? he knew he could get hurt when he went out there and was lucky he didn't get injured worse than he did.

The idea that this is all Chelsea's fault is absolute bullshit, sorry.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Jackson Monk wrote:I have never ever wanted Man Utd to win the treble so badly...please let it happen. This is not out of bitterness as Utd have recently ripped us to shreds. It's because they play football the way is should be played.
Sounds about right to me!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more