Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

extra time
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

penalties coming up. Pretty boring game, at least the penalties may be interesting.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Well that sucked. FA Cup the only thing left to play for now. Pretty gutless performance over the two legs. I don't know if it's fatigue or conservative tactics, but we look very ordinary at the moment.

God I hate Liverpool.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Tue May 01, 2007 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Never mind Jose...there's always next year....or is there...?

I quite like Liverpool
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I always manage to plan my UK trips at the right time. In 2001 it was right after Hapoel Tel Aviv had knocked us out of the UEFA Cup. This time it's right after we've thrown away our chance at two pieces of silverware.

And it's time to burn my "rally scarf"!

I'll keep the dancin' Jose so he can celebrate Spurs missing out on Europe. :)
Boy With A Problem

Just in case you missed these Sam, they were on the other page.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Pretty funny. I like the first one where the guy walks by and kicks the bloody bit of leg away.

He has Jose's arrogance down pat, no so much his mannerisms.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

The pouting is nice. I love this too:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tR4fk7XFW3o

I also enjoy the intellectual scaffolders from this show.

Well that's the second time in two years I've spent the evening cheering on Liverpool. That was a very harsh offside call, so it was fitting that Kuyt scored the winner. How I loved seeing Robben fluff it.

Arrogantio was wrong, Chelsea were not the better nor the stronger side. Liverpool were.

All English final?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Paul & Harry ...

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Arrogantio was wrong, Chelsea were not the better nor the stronger side. Liverpool were.

All English final?
Let's hope not. Forza Milano!!! La vendetta!
Otis Westinghouse

Re: Paul & Harry ...

ReadyToHearTheWorst wrote:... the same team that gave us the deep joy of Julio Geordio
Great to see that again. Whitehouse is incredible, isn't he? Julio goes native!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

3-0 and Milan totally dominant. Yikes!

Takes the edge off an otherwise shitty week.
Otis Westinghouse

I want to puke.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

In a season of mostly disappointment for your own team you have to take pleasure in the misfortune of others. The headline is one of my favourites.

Man Utd destroyed by mighty Milan
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I quite like this one:

Mourinho the deluded one
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BWAP, have you seen this? Possible legal action if West Ham stay up at another club's expense...

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/ ... natio.html
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

After the way Man Utd destroyed Roma in the last round, there was always a possibility that they would falter against Milan....these things seem to happen and the writing has been on the wall in the past few weeks with some stuttering prem performances.

In Chelsea's case, I think they've struggled (compared to the previous 2 seasons) for the simplest of reasons....no depth in the squad - esp at the back, which is absolutely bizarre IMHO.

Is that Mourinho's fault or Kenyon's or Roman's? I don't know. There have been rumblings that Mourinho was refused permission to sign new players. Whoever's at fault, it was tragic that a team that has cost so much money had to resort to playing a plyer as good as Essien (the most underrated midfielder intnhe country) as a centre half in a CL semi-final.

Chelsea were always going to struggle when they had injuries and I'm sure that the Liverpool hoodoo has got into the player's heads as well.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I don't know about that Jackson. I think our performances in the Prem have suffered from the lack of a decent central defender to back up Terry and Carvalho, but we only conceded one goal over the two legs against Liverpool and still lost. For me, it's more about the lack of an option B when Drogs is not scoring (and his production has dried up of late). Sheva has been, by any measure, a massive disappointment. Kalou has come along nicely, but will still sometimes drift out of matches. If I had my druthers, Sheva would be on his bike back to Italy and we would bring Crespo back for next season, whether he likes it or not. Will be nice having Cole back for an entire season. I don't know what to do about Robben. He can be electrifying when on form, but he only ever seems to turn it on for the Dutch national team. May be time to pack him off to Spain.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Point taken and i agree about the lack of a Plan B. But surely having Essien as a centre half is an indictment of the squad depth. A club like chelsea can afford to pay a decent centre half to sit on the bench (Huth?). If Essien had been in midfield, would Drogba not have had potentially more chances?
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:Point taken and i agree about the lack of a Plan B. But surely having Essien as a centre half is an indictment of the squad depth. A club like chelsea can afford to pay a decent centre half to sit on the bench (Huth?). If Essien had been in midfield, would Drogba not have had potentially more chances?
Yeah good point. We seem to play with little flow through midfield when Essien's not in there. Cole is good at making runs and picking other players out, but Lampard seems more content to take pot shots from the edge of the box (he was woeful against Liverpool). When Essien isn't there in the midfield making surging runs, and is instead back defending, we tend to hoof it over the top to Drogs.

Boula was supposed to be our cover, but he got injured and was not exactly scintillating when he was in there. I know it sounds ridiculous for Mourinho to whine about not having enough resources at his disposal, but one additional central defender could have made a big difference.

Puzzling season, satisfying in that we have gone so far in all competitions, but ultimately disappointing because we lost out on the big prizes. Strange to think that this season is disappointing when just a few years ago Chelsea were crashing out of the UEFA Cup to Hapoel Tel Aviv. It's all relative and I'll take it in stride.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Jackson Monk wrote: Puzzling season, satisfying in that we have gone so far in all competitions, but ultimately disappointing because we lost out on the big prizes. Strange to think that this season is disappointing when just a few years ago Chelsea were crashing out of the UEFA Cup to Hapoel Tel Aviv. It's all relative and I'll take it in stride.
on a lower level....I have similar feelings about my own club!
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

You have to be pleased about Berbatov. I saw the highlights show last night with those two lovely pieces of skill from the Boro game. Value buy of the season for certain, though David James has to figure somewhere in there as well.

Anyone seen the plans for the new Pompey stadium? My buddy Tom is all excited about it. I pointed out that I thought it looked a bit like a urinal. :-)
Nice to see a different sort of design I must admit.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

the whole of portsmouth is a urinal so it'll fit in.

so what would your preferred combination be, either

Boula at cb and cashley at lb

or

Gallas at cb and bridge at lb

Berbatov has looked good and it is therefore strange that TH have gone backwards from last season. They have never looked like getting in the top four this season despite berbatov, malbranque chimbonda etc.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

bedpan. but a pretty glowing bedpan.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Boy With A Problem

Who Shot Sam? wrote:BWAP, have you seen this? Possible legal action if West Ham stay up at another club's expense...

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/ ... natio.html
We were talking about this today. I would rather that relegation be decided on the pitch rather than by someone in a board room.

SLL is right - a urinal shaped stadium is perfect for Portsmouth.