Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

He played well. Not my favorite player by any means, but he's in good form at the moment.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

call him Air Jordan...
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Wow, how about those games in Spain today?!?

Real Madrid trailing to Zaragoza and Barca beating their crosstown rivals Espanyol, then Van Horseface gets the equalizer for Real just as Espanyol draw level at the Nou Camp. Madrid is in the driver's seat going into the final day.

Messi was shown for what he is - an amazing player who can't stop cheating to get ahead. Clear handball for Barca's first goal that was almost identical to Maradona's Hand of God. Luckily it will probably not be decisive to who wins La Liga.

Can't say I'll be sad to see Barca lose. Show pony media darlings. It's Real who have shown some balls and determination.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I'm with you. Everyone gfot sick of Madrid and the excessive Galactico we can buy anyone arrogance (sound familiar?), but the tables have turned of late and it's now a pleasure to see them fighting for it, especially given the hand of former OT heroes in it! Better than the messy hand of a Maradona imitator!
Last edited by Otis Westinghouse on Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:the excessive Galactico we can buy anyone arrogance (sound familiar?)
Yes!! ManU!!! :D :D
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Back from seeing the Red Bulls draw 3-3 with Kansas City. Two more goals for Angel - the first a beautifully cushioned header into the far corner and the second a perfectly taken penalty (low and hard) that salvaged a point for us. We cannot defend to save our lives, and Waterreus, the goalkeeper, was at fault for at least one and maybe two of the Kansas City goals.

Still, a great night out and I can see the momentum building for this club and league.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Saw the second half, Sam and yep, we be missing Dunivant and Dema. Wattereus was just awesome at the start of the season, but hasn't been the same since he hurt his ankle. JPA is the main reason I'm #1441 overall (which is HUGE for me!) in MLS FF and Austin is #799.

I was anxious about the Panama game, especially after the first half - I could see us losing on penalties. A little Gals/Fulham joy. :D
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

When is Dunivant meant to be back? He's sorely missed.

...oh, and what a finish in Spain! Becks finally gets a trophy with Real Madrid and Barca get nothing. Even my wife was enthralled - though that may have had something to do with the celebrity sightings.
Otis Westinghouse

Fair dues to Becks, and about time Madrid won it again!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

DB should hire me as his Official Good Luck Charm. I tuned in last week to check the score... And today, I came in from washing the van and just checked and they were down...

Anyway, where the H-E-double toothpicks is the effing Mexico game?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:Anyway, where the H-E-double toothpicks is the effing Mexico game?
Should have been on Univision, if you get that. I see they will play the mighty Guadeloupe in the semifinals. Shaping up to be another US-Mexico final.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

It was supposed to be on GolTV, but some El Salvador game has overruled. It appears El Tri has triumphed. Canada has been playing well (!!!!), so I'm not counting any chickens.

And Dunivant has been listed as "probable" for the last 3-4 games, yet still didn't make the bench yesterday. I suspect there's something more than a quad strain, but 2 weeks off ought to be good for what ails him.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:2 weeks off ought to be good for what ails him.
Now if we could just figure out what's wrong with Waterreus. Terrible goalkeeping display last night.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

moody, there was an interesting piece by Jack Bell in Sunday's New York Times about the Mets possibly being interested in establishing a second MLS club in NY. Also some interesting quotes from Garber on the state of expansion in general...

June 17, 2007
Mets Said to Be Looking Into an M.L.S. Franchise
By JACK BELL

Mr. Met, the mascot of New York’s National League baseball team, may not speak fluent Spanish yet, but the club has recast itself with a strong Hispanic flavor and may soon expand beyond America’s pastime and embrace the world’s game: soccer.

The Mets and several groups of investors have held discussions about obtaining the rights to operate a Major League Soccer team, which could not begin play until 2010 at the earliest, an industry executive said.

“We have been approached at various times with ideas, but right now we’re focused on our new stadium, Citi Field, and we don’t want to address this matter,â€
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Interesting.

I'm not sure there's enough fans to go around right now, but this could help, at least amongst the XX population.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qb1UEFs7kA
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

As a New Yorker, I think it would be terrific. The key I think would be avoiding having the clubs share a ground. MLS stuck Chivas out at the HDC with the Galaxy, and that's just too far from their fan base, as the attendance figures for their home matches indicate.

Philly should really get a club first, but I'm not sure if they have a willing ownership group and/or stadium plan in place. You would think that a city in the Southeast (NC perhaps) could support a team. If you look at the league map, those two massive empty areas in the northwest and southeast really stick out.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

As God is my witness, I read in the papers some time ago that Knoxville would be getting some sort of professional team. Which is like the proverbial snowball in hell - just not gonna happen in my lifetime. But Nashville? Atlanta? Maybe a NASCAR (where they really understand sponsorship) tie in, with games in the Winner's Circle during rain delays. Ricky Bobby could drive the Sierra Mist/MLS/AEG/Dick's/Red Bull race car!
He looks ready!

p.s. just kidding.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

haha!!

Just took the plunge for a four-game package of Red Bulls tix that does not include the Galaxy/Beckham match (that one is going to sell out in any case and they've jacked up the prices since Goldenballs will be in town). I'm taking my boy to the New England game next month and we'll go from there.
Otis Westinghouse

Roll on August...
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

:lol:

There's always the National Table Tennis Championships on Eurosport.
corruptio optimi pessima
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Well, I see you all have met P. T. Lalas. :lol:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:Well, I see you all have met P. T. Lalas. :lol:
I love it. A lot of what he says is BS, but he gets the English media's back up, and that's nice to see!
Otis Westinghouse

He's just a laughing stock! Reminiscent of La La from the Teletubbies:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:He's just a laughing stock!
I think he's great. Has all you Brits foaming at the mouth. Raises some valid points as well, whether you'd like to admit it or not. Brilliant PR spin-master, terrible GM. Hats off to Alexi!