Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Goody, Moody and yourself were pretty good in Fargo as well... :wink:
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

As a youngster, do you think Larry David was ever called David Larry?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Watching the early 80's cult tv show Buffalo Bill has led me to the conclusion that Dabney Coleman, in his prime, was the coolest white guy ever.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Music to my (virtual) ears:

"Tuesday at 4 it is. I'll bring the vino." Does one need to hear more? I think not. Especially when Tuesday at 4 is when the Sox are playing Chicago.

PS, agree 'bout Coleman-- he has saved the sorry ass of many a mainstream B/21st Century movie as well. See my comments about Frampton Comes Alive! in the 'Overrated' thread and substitute You've Got Mail. Fantastic setpiece, just a great Ephron screenplay, GREAT cast, utterly delicious NYC detail, serious post-modern Hollywood provenance, and just plain solid romance, even if I DO hate Meg Ryan (even more than you do). So sue me if I think so.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

bambooneedle wrote:Goody, Moody and yourself were pretty good in Fargo as well... :wink:
And all we had to do was act naturally.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

What's really killing your dvd sales is Mood's No Nipples Clause.
absolutely no such thing. if it's integral to the story, I'm there.

How long will the average Post-It stay sticky? I've got a world record holder - had it (and it says "original"!) going on 2 years now.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

mood swung wrote: How long will the average Post-It stay sticky? I've got a world record holder - had it (and it says "original"!) going on 2 years now.
I don't know....might want to ask Romy or Michele about that one.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

This made me chuckle (from today's New York Times). Good line-up...

October 5, 2005
A Remake of a Charity Song, by the Elite of Indie Rock

By JESSE FOX MAYSHARK
If parody can be called a form of flattery, then Sir Bob Geldof has cause to blush.

Twenty-one years after he gathered a group of musicians for the all-star "Do They Know It's Christmas?" benefit single, a similarly sprawling group of performers is asking a snarky follow-up question: "Do They Know It's Halloween?"

The single, being released next week to benefit Unicef, features indie-rock luminaries like Beck and the Arcade Fire, and pokes fun at what many see as the original Band Aid song's culturally patronizing attitude toward the third world.

" 'Do they know it's Christmas?' What a ridiculous question to ask someone!' " Nicholas Diamonds, the Canadian musician who helped write and produce the new single, said in an e-mail message. He said the idea for the song just "popped into my head one day."

"I thought, why not take the absurdity one step further?" he said. "What about Halloween?"

Mr. Diamonds, leader of the recently defunct band the Unicorns and the new band Islands, proposed the song while visiting a fellow Canadian musician and old friend, Adam Gollner, in Los Angeles, and the two of them quickly wrote it. Then they used connections to assemble a diverse group of performers to record it, including the comedian David Cross, the punk-rock impresario Malcolm McLaren and members of Sonic Youth, the Postal Service and Rilo Kiley.

"We respect Band Aid's ability to raise so much money for relief efforts, but their lyrics seem so misguided and inappropriate," Mr. Gollner, 28, a member of the band Dessert, wrote in an e-mail message. "Africa isn't a land 'where nothing ever grows' and 'no rain nor river flows.' And how are lines such as 'Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you' supposed to be helpful?"

Where the Band Aid anthem aimed to export Christmas cheer, "Do They Know It's Halloween" is a trick entreaty credited to the North American Halloween Prevention Initiative that asks for global assistance in fighting the horrors of All Hallows' Eve: "Latvia, Laos, Chad, Peru," the lyrics plead, "we need their help or else we're through/ They don't know the fear/ we endure once a year."

The 30-some participants were recruited via connections and chance encounters, but there was no group singalong à la "We Are the World," the 1985 hit single for African famine relief. Mr. Diamonds and Mr. Gollner recorded the basic tracks in Los Angeles, and the vocalists either dropped by separately or, like the Inuit throat-singer Tanya Tagaq, sent in their lines from afar.

On the resulting track, Beck recounts horrors like "children on streets, begging for treats," while Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth and Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs beg, "Help us! Help us! Save our souls!"

Connections also helped on the production end. Mr. Gollner, an occasional contributor to The New York Times, used to be the editor of the New York edition of the hipster lifestyle magazine Vice, and he and Mr. Diamonds approached the Vice co-founder Suroosh Alvi about releasing the song on the magazine's sister label.

The song's cheekiness resonated with Vice, a brand better known for cold-eyed sarcasm than bleeding hearts. "There's so much irony and comedy in this, it fits in really well with the Vice sensibility," Mr. Alvi said, in an interview at Vice's industrial loft offices in Williamsburg.

He initially struggled to find a way to finance the project before Sony Connect, the online music service of the Sony Corporation, provided the necessary backing. (The Connect Web site started selling downloads of the song two weeks before its wide release.)

Unicef's longstanding Halloween fund-raising campaign made it a natural beneficiary. Mr. Diamonds, Mr. Gollner and Mr. Alvi all said they collected money for the organization as young trick-or-treaters.

A Unicef spokeswoman, Marissa Buckanoff, noted the agency had no official involvement in "Do They Know It's Halloween?" But she praised the effort. "It's very impressive that they were able to bring all of these people together," she said.

Ms. Buckanoff said trick-or-treaters collect about $3 million to $5 million for the agency. That dwarfs the $10,000 to $20,000 in sales that Mr. Alvi said he expects the song to generate.

The participants in "Do They Know It's Halloween?" were alternately amused and confused by the project. Mr. Gollner said the singer-rapper Peaches at first thought the Bush administration was trying to ban Halloween.

The only contributors young enough to actually trick or treat this year, the middle-school-age sisters in the Seattle indie duo Smoosh, saw the project simply as "a lot of fun," Asy, 13, the singer-keyboardist, said in an e-mail message. "I thought the song was really cool," she added. As for what Sir Bob might make of it all, Mr. Gollner said he hoped the elder statesman of rock charity would take no offense.

"Sir Bob is not the enemy," Mr. Gollner said. "He's done some incredible things."
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

When the Floyd were recording Shine On You Crazy Diamond, some weird, big, bald bloke turned up in the studio. At first the band had no idea who he was, then realised it was Syd. They hadn't seen him for 5 years or so, and he chose to reappear at the very moment they were recording a song about him.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Rufus Wainwright's "Natasha" reminds me a lot of Squeeze's "Vanity Fair".
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This has been a strange week.

Monday - work, Tuesday-Wednesday off for Rosh Hashana, Thursday - work, Friday - off for Canadian Thanksgiving (also off Monday).

Not bad, but also kind of disorienting!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I am really, really, really tired.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Me too. Maybe it was the wake n bake I had this morning while watching Buffy on FX.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

spooky girlfriend wrote:I am really, really, really tired.
You need a holiday. In Europe perhaps.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Everytime I walk into a Hastings, the foyeur smells like a vagina. Why is that?
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Hahahaha, funny one. It is a joke right? :?
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

No, Buddhist hot dog vendors talking smack about "change from within" is a joke. Shannon Whirry's post-Mike Hammer film career is a joke (albeit one that got me through my painful, fumbling adolescence) I'm dead serious.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Well, in that case, does the vagina smell make you happy or piss you off?
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I don't know that it makes him particularly anything one way or the other. He just thought it smelled like a vagina. Just an observation.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Re Honey -

Oh it always evokes bittersweet reflections of a vibrant youth long gone as I now contendedly fritter away my twilight years playing checkers with Saul in the park and feeding the ducks who wade through my grandson's pond. And watching Matlock.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

El Vez wrote:Everytime I walk into a Hastings, the foyeur smells like a vagina. Why is that?
Is there an award for "Post That Made The Most Diet Coke Come Out My Nose"? 'Cause this one would win.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Goody, I'm not being facetious here when I say that I take great, great pride in making my board friends laugh that hard. Thank you for taking the post as it was intended.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

And despite the nasal douche, I take great, great pleasure in laughing that hard, so it is you I thank.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Anything for my audience! :D
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

El Vez wrote:Everytime I walk into a Hastings, the foyeur smells like a vagina. Why is that?
Forgive my English ignorance but what is a Hastings? There could be a "because there are a bunch of ****s there" joke lying in wait :lol:

And I know what you mean when you get satisfaction about making someone laugh like that. You make me laugh a lot but unfortunately I take this for granted.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?