your five favourite elvis costello tracks

Pretty self-explanatory
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Album...........................Tracks....Points....Votes....Top Track
Imperial Bedroom...............9..........143.........33......man out of time
King of America...................9..........126.........30.....sleep of the just
Get Happy!.........................8..........104.........25......riot act
Trust..................................7...........88..........20......new lace sleeves
Mighty Like a Rose.............3...........78..........19......couldn't call it unexpected no. 4
Blood & Chocolate..............7...........75..........21......I hope you're happy now
Armed Forces......................8..........74..........18......accidents will happen
This Years Model.................10.........71..........18......lipstick vogue
My Aim Is True....................5..........50..........13......red shoes
Brutal Youth........................4...........40...........8......you tripped at every step
All This Useless Beauty........4...........35..........11......the other end of the telescope
Painted from Memory..........5...........35...........8.......god give me strength
The Delivery Man................5...........34..........10......monkey to man
When I Was Cruel...............3...........29...........8.......episode of blonde
spike..................................4...........19...........5.......god's comic
the juliet letters..................5............16...........5.......5 tracks nominated once each
North.................................4............15...........4.......can you be true?
punch the clock..................3............13...........5.......shipbuilding
goodbye cruel world...........2..............7............2......get yourself another fool
my flame burns blue...........1..............6............1......my flame burns blue (blood count)
The River In Reverse..........1..............2............1.......six fingered man

Boy, I bet you're fun at parties!

Sleepy songs seem to dominate.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

argh, he played the IB card. no fair. let's see about that other one though--Loveable, Bedlam. Bedlam, Loveable. hmmm, tough call.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

The number of tracks voted for per album category should receive a differnt weighting before total points are calculated. MLAR might have had three tracks that were heavily nominated, but the depth and breadth of that record simply is not in league with TYM, IB, and others. Hey, of all the songs on MLAR, there are indeed three that stand out. But when an album has 10 popularly voted tracks, there is a diluent effect associated with the voter choosing to not make too many selections (in a total of 5) from one record. The very depth and significance of the recording, in this statistical analysis, actually hurts the overall ranking.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

My theory proved yet again (for the 100th time*).

His recent stuff is cool and we all buy it, but he hasn't made a real classic for years. Look at the favourite albums here. All oldies and all fucking fantastic records (although the prevalence of MLAR surprises me). River in Reverse is great and I love North, but come on folks....they don't get the pulse racing like KOA or IB.....do they?
Agree totally with this - I think North is the best of his recent stuff. I dont think this "Southern American roots rock" / "New Orleans" thang suits him at all, I mean face it , it's London that's in his soul innit!
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Mike Boom wrote:
My theory proved yet again (for the 100th time*).

His recent stuff is cool and we all buy it, but he hasn't made a real classic for years. Look at the favourite albums here. All oldies and all fucking fantastic records (although the prevalence of MLAR surprises me). River in Reverse is great and I love North, but come on folks....they don't get the pulse racing like KOA or IB.....do they?
Agree totally with this - I think North is the best of his recent stuff. I dont think this "Southern American roots rock" / "New Orleans" thang suits him at all, I mean face it , it's London that's in his soul innit!
Yes indeed. His English stuff is the best. Although I like lots of his rootsty tootsy stuff, I don't understand why he has this urge to pretend he's from the deep south. :?
By the way.....I Know Very Well How I Got My Name
corruptio optimi pessima
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

I really like The Delivery Man, I think that's the best he's made these past ten years. Country Darkness, Monkey to Man, I dig it. Does remind me of my first couple of weeks at uni though, maybe that's the reason. Agree that River in Reverse wasn't a classic, but it was an album of covers.

The most "fun" record EC's made is Brutal Youth, really. WIWC is too damned long, though there's some moments of funness on it (45, daddy, episode of blonde etc). But the production bugs me.

Is this just a consequence of getting old, though? Or should we give Bruce Thomas a call.....? (this was a joke, please don't hit me)
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Time for the Semi Finals:

Man Out Of Time v Riot Act
Lipstick Vogue v Beyond Belief
signed with love and vicious kisses