Unthanks Liverpool

Pretty self-explanatory
supplydavid

Unthanks Liverpool

Post by supplydavid »

The Unthanks ( an amazing "folk" group from Northumberland who covered shipbuilding) tweeted Elvis was going to be at their concert with the Liverpool Philharmonic at the weekend but I have seen no details or pics, anybody got any updates?
Top balcony

Re: Unthanks Liverpool

Post by Top balcony »

Hi David,

[ Hangs head in shame emoticon] couldn't get there myself - and the Liverpool Echo reviewer doesn't seem to have either. With nothing concrete to go on, I'm nevertheless hoping that an audio will appear soon, and will be looking daily. Are you reading this Frankly?

Colin Top Balcony
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Unthanks tweet says -

https://twitter.com/TheUnthanks/status/ ... 0969470976

The programme for tonight's Philharmonic concert has interviews with us and an introduction by Elvis Costello!

I think that means Elvis wrote something for the programme. If he had been there in person to , at the very least , introduce them on stage I daresay coverage , visual or audio, would have appeared pretty quickly.

Back in 2009 Elvis wrote -

http://www.sundance.tv/blog/2009/12/spe ... rite-songs

The Unthanks – “Here’s The Tender Coming” – from Here’s The Tender Coming (2009)

My favorite county record of 2009. The county of Northumberland, that is. The supernatural singing from Rachel and Becky Unthank and the lovely arrangements are three reasons to hear this wonderful album.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From the venue's website

http://www.liverpoolphil.com/16770/even ... nture.html

file:///C:/Users/johnfoyle/Downloads/Downloads/2016.03.16%20IS%20Symphonic%20Adventure%20[web].pdf

Introduction by Elvis Costello

The thought of being in the audience for a concert meeting The Unthanks together with Royal Liverpool Philharmonic
inspires a longing, as it might for any listener.

The Unthanks’ recordings have grown in richness and imagination, balancing the beauty and heart of Rachel and
Becky’s voices with the group’s vivid arrangements.

They run from the root and to the very tip of the branch in the music. Folk music if you will, if that means music of the
folk, all of us humans.

It is not a surprise that the Liverpool Philharmonic should engage with such an ensemble, as they have long had the
reputation for erasing the customs and excise duties that sometimes arrest the flow of sound and curiosity.

Adrian McNally has been charged with writing tonight’s orchestrations. If his work on recent records offers a clue,
then I can only imagine his pleasure in opening the box of paints to discover that someone has lent him a whole new
palette of colours.