RIP Ruben Gonzalez

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
RedShoes

RIP Ruben Gonzalez

Post by RedShoes »

Ruben Gonzalez, the pianist of Buena Vista Social Club, died Monday. He was 84.

Granted the members are all pretty old, but it's still sad to lose such a great contributor to the music community.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah, and Compay Segundo, another of the old Buena Vista Social Club members died in July.

Really the only core member left is Ibrahim Ferrer.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Missed this news. Ruben was an absolute treasure. I saw the BVSC on tour here. I recall seeing them looking mostly tired and old on the bus as we left the venue. I was very tempted to hop on and chat to them in Spanish, but sadly not. Ry Cooder (I think) described RG as being a cross between Thelonius Monk and Felix the cat. He opened the gig solo, assisted across the stage to the keyboard, making you think he would really sound arthritic when he got there, but no, still full of magic. The scene in Wim Wenders wonderful scene where he's sitting under a huge tree in a little plaza in Havana is fabulous. I think he played a completely decayed piano for years in the wilderness years between their earlier international fame and their late rediscovery. Nice to see him on a Steinway as an old man. Respect to Ruben.