What up with Nellie McKay?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
firebetty

What up with Nellie McKay?

Post by firebetty »

So King Horse (wait are you Mr. Ave. also? I can't keep you multi-id people striaght) gives here the thumbs up.
A friend of mine saw her perform and said she was wack-a-do and a good musician.
The New Yorker (the uncooledst music source) loves her.
I downloaded a couple of songs. But I just can't tell what her story is. I mean really with all she has going for her she is the 2004 girl version of Elvis, isn't she?
I just don't understand. Please help.
cottton-poly blends are an abomination
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Get Away From Me is one of the catchiest albums I've heard in a while. Don't ask me for highlights - I just keep playing it over and over.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Dear Firebetty:

There is but one Mr. Average.

Mr. Average, due to technical difficulties, temporarily went on vacation and "Stripped Jack Naked" was kind enough to step in and represent him on this board. So that confusion would be minimized, Mr. Average was careful to announce that Stripped Jack was, indeed, Mr. A. But a Mr. A with unfettered access to the threads of this forum. Stripped Jack is now retired, and does not post here anymore and never rings twice. Think about it...have you ever seen Mr. Average and Stripped Jack Naked in the same room at the same time. Have you?

The technical difficulties were NOT in your set, as the good dr. spooky made crystal clear to me. They were in mine. Thank you, Dr. S.

I am now completely exposed, but will reveal that Mr. Average was the second screen name used in this forum. The first was draperdan, but that name and the cryptic and novel encoding that produced it were consummed by an evil Thread Monster of the past...
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I'm sure I love her more than the New Yorker, but then I'm probably a more uncool music source. But my girlfriend is a hip cat and she agrees.

johnfoyle wrote: "Get Away From Me is one of the catchiest albums I've heard in a while" and that goes for me too. I don't really care if it's not the most original thing I've heard when it's classic songwriting of this calibre. I like good songs even if they're written after formulas.

I guess you lucky native folk get to hear more good English-singing entertainers than we do here in Sweden, but I rarely hear stuff like that coming from new artists. And there's no way I would've heard about her if I wouldn't have happened to watch a Letterman show she was on on cable and ordered her CD from the States. Haven't seen it around here. I'm sure they couldn't come up with a marketing strategy for it. Maybe "The 2004 girl Elvis" would do the trick.

After all, she has a voice some will find irritating and lyrics some will find too clever/funny for her own good, she (effortlessly) changes styles from rap to jazz and whatever's in between on her Geoff Emerick-produced debut (double) CD, so yeah maybe she is the 2004 girl Elvis. But if so, I think she's more than that.
What this world needs is more silly men.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I have her CD, and I like it, but I don't love it. It's a little precious.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I just ordered this. Somehow I didn't notice all the fuss until now, and I'm perplexed - I don't even know if I like her from the samples that I've heard, but thought I'd give it a blind chance. She's my sister's age and seems a lot more interesting, and the lyrical comparisons to Randy Newman and Van Dyke Parks have me perplexed. There, I said perplexed twice.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I know he hasn't been away for long at all, but I'm already kinda missing Mr. Average...
Mr. Average wrote:There is but one Mr. Average.

Mr. Average, due to technical difficulties, temporarily went on vacation and "Stripped Jack Naked" was kind enough to step in and represent him on this board. So that confusion would be minimized, Mr. Average was careful to announce that Stripped Jack was, indeed, Mr. A. But a Mr. A with unfettered access to the threads of this forum. Stripped Jack is now retired, and does not post here anymore and never rings twice. Think about it...have you ever seen Mr. Average and Stripped Jack Naked in the same room at the same time. Have you?

The technical difficulties were NOT in your set, as the good dr. spooky made crystal clear to me. They were in mine. Thank you, Dr. S.

I am now completely exposed, but will reveal that Mr. Average was the second screen name used in this forum. The first was draperdan, but that name and the cryptic and novel encoding that produced it were consummed by an evil Thread Monster of the past...