Nick Lowe concert

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
VonOfterdingen

Nick Lowe concert

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Nick Lowe is playing in Copenhagen in April. Should I go? Don't know much about his music...
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

VON you should GO! Nick rocks live. I saw him open for Elvis once. He pretty much sounded better than ELVIS on both guitar and vocals.....Buy his greatest hits CD!
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Of course you should go! How can you not go and see the man who wrote PL&U?

You should be able to pick up Basher - The Best of Nick Lowe quite cheaply but unfortunately this doesn't include some of his later material which is excellent. I would highly recommend Party For One.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Thanks, sounds promising :)

I've just ordered The convincer, Basher and Party of one at the library.
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

GO!!! GO!!! GO!!!!

and he ought to be selling that nice little Untouched Takeaway cd at the show, as well as some sharp Tshirts!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Like Elvis, Nick has an extensive catalog and has dabbled quite a bit in country music. But his signature sound comes out in concert, that basher blood and chocolate sound. I swear he added technical assistance, behind the scenes, to Bedlam, because it has his signature.

He is so underappreciated and generally unrecognized in America, despite an incredible catalog of great great pop songs. One thing about Nick Lowe...he is one of those few people gifted from above with the ability to fill up a room just by walking into it. Think about how many people you have met in your lifetime that can do that, and I submit that you can count them on one hand. And a common characteristic of these types of people is that they have a glint in their eye...it is very real...a sparkle that you cannot capture with a camera. They enamate energy. Nick is one of these rare breeds.

Without having met most of the active posters here, and with no evidence to substantiate my theory, I think we have a disproportionate number of these types of people on this board. I would posit that SoLikeCandy and Ms Buenos Aires are two likely candidates.

Back to "Big Kick Plain Scrap" Nick Lowe. Go see Lowe if you can. You will understand what a tremendous influence he has been on Costello after seeing him perform.

I heard him play Switchboard Susan and that was enough. I could have gone home. I was complete.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

GO!! GO!! GO!! again. We saw him last Sept in Nashville, remember Cosmos? - mostly just Nick and his guitar. rated JFI five stars.

and VG, that's Party OF One.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

It was a wonderful show indeed, Mood! I'd highly recommend that everyone see him.

Next time he comes to town, we're there, right? :D
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

you bet!

we'll be old and gray, I fear. well, at least I will be.
Helios

Post by Helios »

Please include me w/those who urge you to go. I missed my opportunity late last year & have regretted it ever since. I hope to get another chance.

He was such an integral part of the early alt. brit scene, as well as a synapse from the Kinks era to the Stiff movement & various collaborations. If anything, you will have fun.

Be sure to report back if/when you do go.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Include me as a very enthusiastic member of the Nick Lowe fan club. Truly one of the coolest cats who has ever graced our planet. Perfect, casual musicianship served with style and sneaky wit. You come in loving the songs and come out loving the guy. (And yes, I would sleep with Nick Lowe...no sex, but I'd cuddle if he insisted.....Did I say that or just think it?? :oops: )

In any case, in a better world, he'd be a superstar and a multi-billionaire.

My personal all-time favorite Nick album is "Jesus of Cool" (known in the religious U.S. as "Pure Pop for Now People", which is actually more accurately descriptive).
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I saw Nick live just once, 15 years ago, when he supported Elvis in London, and though his set was obviously rather short, it was tremendous fun anyway.
Some of the songs he wrote are pure pop gems and he seems like a great performer, so don’t miss it !!!
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed