Brutal Youth/ Juliet Letters / Kojak Variety on vinyl

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Brutal Youth/ Juliet Letters / Kojak Variety on vinyl

Post by johnfoyle »

Has anyone seen vinyl editions of these? Similarly if anyone has a spare copy would they like to sell it to me? Once I get them I'll have all Elvis' albums in this format.
sexysadie7

sorry to break the news...

Post by sexysadie7 »

i have talked with numerous record store owners, vinyl collectors, and ec fans and no one has ever seen any one of these. one record store owner, who is an ec fan, said that he was pretty sure that they never were made in that format.

i, too, have tried to prove these people wrong by constantly scouring ebay, but to no avail.
you lack lust...
you're so lacklustre...
is that all the strength
you can muster?
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

These albums come from the period when the record companies were keenly trying to kill off vinyl, and so I'm inclined to believe those who say they were never released on that format. Once Britpop took off vinyl became popular again and hasn't showed any signs of letting up since. However, I remember Woolies clearing out all of their vinyl in early 1994 and most other stores following suit pretty sharpish thereafter.
Blight

Post by Blight »

I personally own one vinyl copy of The Juliet Letters.

But I am still after Brutal Youth, Deep Dead Blue and For The Stars on that format.

Thanks for helping ! :D
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I'm still looking for these. Worse still, I realise that I don't have another '90s title on vinyl - Painted From Memory. Does anyone?

I have a vinyl 7" of tracks from Sweetest Punch.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i, also, have JULIET only of these 3! for the stars i know was pressed on vinyl, but never got one. and, i do not think deep dead or PFM were ever pressed upon vinyl.
Blight

Post by Blight »

johnfoyle wrote:I'm still looking for these. Worse still, I realise that I don't have another '90s title on vinyl - Painted From Memory. Does anyone?

I have a vinyl 7" of tracks from Sweetest Punch.
Painted from Memory doesn't exist in vinyl as far as I know !

Also forgot to mention that I'm also after the Kojak edition vinyl.

:wink:
Blight

Post by Blight »

bronxapostle wrote:i, also, have JULIET only of these 3! for the stars i know was pressed on vinyl, but never got one. and, i do not think deep dead or PFM were ever pressed upon vinyl.
Deep Dead blue was !

So were Brutal Youth and Kojak Variety even though those especially the latter are a hell difficult to find !

As i already put it, PFM as well as IL Sogno, dosn't exist on vinyl ! :(
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I think there is a WANTS page on ebay where you can advertise things you are looking for. May be worth a go??
Blight

Post by Blight »

Mikeh wrote:I think there is a WANTS page on ebay where you can advertise things you are looking for. May be worth a go??
Sometimes it can be, definitely ! 8)
cwr

Post by cwr »

Brutal Youth and Kojak Variety were never issued on vinyl, though The Juliet Letters was, and so was ATUB.

Back when EC was doing the "Ask Elvis" thing on his website, I actually asked him if he would consider issuing those two records on vinyl (and PFM) and he responded enthusiastically, saying that he would see if Rhino would be interested in such a thing.

A lot of time has passed since then, but I still hope it might happen at some point. Certainly, if he can put these records out over and over on CD, he can get three un-issued albums put out in a limited vinyl pressing.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

EXCELLENT!!! i have busted his chops about these not being on vinyl more than once myself!!! GREAT IDEA you have there. sure wish they would! gotta add deepdeadblue too. a shame about PFM......it would stand comfortably next to ANY classic jazz lp of ANY era with THAT music AND THAT cover in 12" of glorious cardboard!!! DO IT RHINO!
cwr

Post by cwr »

I agree totally about the 12" cover art. Isn't it weird that KV and PFM, two of his albums that most look like classic LPs from the vinyl era, are two of the only EC records that never came out in that format?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yeah, that is also very true about KV! and the 12" promo flat for brutal youth IS filed chronologically in my vinyl EC collection. that looks great too 12 by 12. gotta check... do i have a KOJAK flat as well? must check. cheers, ba
Blight

Post by Blight »

cwr wrote:Brutal Youth and Kojak Variety were never issued on vinyl, though The Juliet Letters was, and so was ATUB.

Back when EC was doing the "Ask Elvis" thing on his website, I actually asked him if he would consider issuing those two records on vinyl (and PFM) and he responded enthusiastically, saying that he would see if Rhino would be interested in such a thing.

A lot of time has passed since then, but I still hope it might happen at some point. Certainly, if he can put these records out over and over on CD, he can get three un-issued albums put out in a limited vinyl pressing.
So how come they mention both records were issued on vinyl on Elvis's official website ?
They even label KV as a limited release, which is sure to be ! :wink:

By the way, what record is ATUB ? :?
cwr

Post by cwr »

Sorry, ATUB is All This Useless Beauty. I didn't mean to be cryptic!

Can you provide a link for where on Costello's official site they mention BY and KV vinyl editions? (As far as I can see, they don't even include any of Costello's work from the Warner years in his "music" section, limiting his discography to only the works that are covered under his deal with the Universal Music Corporation. This, despite the fact that all those albums are still in print through Rhino.)

As far as I can tell, whether vinyl editions were ever planned or not (and someone who personally owns or has ever seen a copy can feel free to prove me wrong), BY and KV were never actually issued on vinyl. Neither was PFM. That's why it's somewhat strange that ATUB came out, but it seems to be the exception in the period between the European vinyl of The Juliet Letters and the extremely rare signed promo vinyl of For The Stars. (As far as I can tell, this one was given away to VIPs and music industry types who attended some sort of promotional event for the album when it came out, and was never available to the public, so it's really, really hard to find.)

When I asked Costello about if they were ever going to issue BY or KV or PFM on vinyl, he basically confirmed that they hadn't ever been out as vinyl records.

It seems like in this decade, he's made a point of getting everything issued on vinyl, since WIWC, North, TDM, The Clarksdale Sessions and TRIR all came out that way.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yeah, i shoulda bid higher on that FORTHESTARS when it was up at ebay!!
Blight

Post by Blight »

cwr wrote:Sorry, ATUB is All This Useless Beauty. I didn't mean to be cryptic!

Can you provide a link for where on Costello's official site they mention BY and KV vinyl editions? (As far as I can see, they don't even include any of Costello's work from the Warner years in his "music" section, limiting his discography to only the works that are covered under his deal with the Universal Music Corporation. This, despite the fact that all those albums are still in print through Rhino.)
Sorry for ATUB, got this on vinyl of course, so I didn't think of it when I read the short writing ! :wink:

All that you are saying seems very convincing and it sounds really obvious that you got tips on the subject !

Anyvay, just have a look at the 3 links below in which they give all the possible formats for BY, DDB, and KV !

Even if CD's and cassettes are mentioned first contrary to most EC other records, they mention LP formats and especially about KV ! Have a look !

Didn't put PFAM as I never mentioned that one as existing on vinyl !

http://www.elviscostello.info/disc/offi ... fo_a01.htm

cwr

Post by cwr »

Oh, okay -- when you said "official", I thought you meant elviscostello.com. (Which is the official website, even though it isn't good enough to deserve to be, since the EC Home Page is so much better and the authorized site is now just a dull corporate billboard. His "official" website doesn't even acknowledge any records he made between 1987 and 1997 as even existing, since they aren't part of his current label's deal. If we go by that, BY and KV never even came out on CD!)

But I guess we'd have to ask Paul Hosken, who compiled that discography on the EC Home Page, if those LP releases ever actually happened (and, if he has copies, if he'd be willing to sell them!) The info he's compiled there is so thorough, I would tend to believe it, although I would note that in those three instances the LPs seem to be the only things listed without catalog numbers, which he seems to have for every LP release that any of us can verify as actually existing.

Of course, I would love to be wrong about this, as I'd love to think it was possible to get any of those records on vinyl - although if they DO exist, they would seem to be so rare that no one has actually ever seen a copy for sale, right? Which would be kind of depressing, as that would mean if any ever do show up, they'll be hugely expensive and way out of my price range....

Maybe we should put "want lists" up on gemm.com or something, to see if any rare vinyl copies of those records come out of the woodwork. Maybe they don't have catalog numbers listed because, like the For The Stars vinyl, they were just made for promo purposes, or EC had his own limited run made up for personal use.

(Incidentally, I think anyone participating in this discussion should automatically win rare vinyl copies of all these albums, just for being interested in their existence.)
Blight

Post by Blight »

cwr wrote:Oh, okay -- when you said "official", I thought you meant elviscostello.com. (Which is the official website, even though it isn't good enough to deserve to be, since the EC Home Page is so much better and the authorized site is now just a dull corporate billboard. His "official" website doesn't even acknowledge any records he made between 1987 and 1997 as even existing, since they aren't part of his current label's deal. If we go by that, BY and KV never even came out on CD!)

But I guess we'd have to ask Paul Hosken, who compiled that discography on the EC Home Page, if those LP releases ever actually happened (and, if he has copies, if he'd be willing to sell them!) The info he's compiled there is so thorough, I would tend to believe it, although I would note that in those three instances the LPs seem to be the only things listed without catalog numbers, which he seems to have for every LP release that any of us can verify as actually existing.

Of course, I would love to be wrong about this, as I'd love to think it was possible to get any of those records on vinyl - although if they DO exist, they would seem to be so rare that no one has actually ever seen a copy for sale, right? Which would be kind of depressing, as that would mean if any ever do show up, they'll be hugely expensive and way out of my price range....

Maybe we should put "want lists" up on gemm.com or something, to see if any rare vinyl copies of those records come out of the woodwork. Maybe they don't have catalog numbers listed because, like the For The Stars vinyl, they were just made for promo purposes, or EC had his own limited run made up for personal use.

(Incidentally, I think anyone participating in this discussion should automatically win rare vinyl copies of all these albums, just for being interested in their existence.)
These are very sensible words ! :D

Yes, I should have mentioned the very name of the site which is far much complete than the official one , kinda lousy isn't it ?

What makes me think it reads alright is that there are a lotta details about the discography and especially about KV which is described as being "limited".

Guess it will be difficult to pick some copies if they are just the promo sort of things !

Anyway, if any of us gets some information, they are welcome ! :wink:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i'm with you again cwr!!! no catalog # CERTAINLY does apply never pressed! but, getting back to your earlier statement...let's hope they do one day. remember the double KOA vinyl that came out in conjunction with the re-release a few years back? NEVER TOO LATE! cheers. ba
cwr

Post by cwr »

I would think that since Rhino is issuing stuff on DVD from the WB years, and they DID put out a vinyl reissue of My Aim Is True a few years back, that there is at least a slight chance that they would be receptive to putting out BY and KV on vinyl.

As for PFM, the 10 year anniversary is approaching, hard as that is to believe -- surely in the midst of all of Universal's reissues and deluxe editions, Elvis can convince them to put out a limited edition vinyl pressing to commemorate the occasion in 2008.

Surely no one is more aware of the gaps in his vinyl discography than EC himself, right? I'm sure he'd like to be able to have a complete set, too!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

you know, the MY FLAME BURNS BLUE sure would look great 12" too!!!!
cwr

Post by cwr »

good point, I hadn't even thought of that one! Why is it that the ones that most LOOK like old vintage LPs are the ones that he doesn't put out in 12 inch sleeves?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

IS THIS NEW ROCKANDROLLMUSIC ON VINYL? ANY LUCK GETTING THE 7" YET?