martinfoyle

2005-01-24: Utrecht, Holland, Vredenburg

Post by martinfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/setlists/050124.php

2005-01-24: Utrecht, Holland, Vredenburg
Elvis Costello with the Imposters
- Ron Wiltschut

1. Blue Chair
2. Tear Off Your Own Head (It's A Doll Revolution)
3. Waiting For The End Of The World
4. Beyond Belief
5. Radio Radio
6. Button My Lip
7. Country Darkness
8. Brilliant Mistake
9. Psycho
10.(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
11.Good Year For The Roses
12.Clubland Null
13.Dust 2…
14.Alison/Suspicious Minds
15.Either Side Of The Same Town
16.Blame It On Cain
17.High Fidelity
18.Uncomplicated
Encore 1
19.The Delivery Man
20.Monkey To Man
21.Hidden Charms
22.Needle Time
23.Nothing Clings Like Ivy
24.Pump It Up
25.Love That Burns
Encore 2
26.(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
27.I Want You
28.There's A Story In Your Voice
29.Oliver's Army
30.The Scarlet Tide

-Joyce, eclistserv, writes

A weird kind of show. Elvis' voice was shot. After maybe 3 songs he asks
the audience if we want him to reschedule or just go on. The audience wants him to continue. I'm torn myself.
Getting a babysitter is so tough as it is but I feel bad that Elvis is
compelled to continue. Elvis looks great. I thought I'd just read that he
was out of shape. I think he looks rather fit. He wears great ties these
days. The sound for the first several songs is awful but gets better. I
figured at first that it was just because we were in front but not so as it
improved. I'm confused as to why this seems to happen so frequent based on other people's comments about the shows. Right after asking about continuing the show, a few people shout things out. I shout out for Psycho if he's up for it. Seemed like a good song for his raspy voice and it was one that I really wanted to hear live. And, he does it!!!!!! The band was tight as always. Davey adds a lot to the band with his backup singing.
Steve is great as always. Fun to watch Pete pounding away and singing
throughout.

I didn't expect Elvis to play as long as he did (2 hours and 15 minutes or so). I also feared long rambling musical breaks which I don't mind occasionally but not all night. I love the glittering purple guitar. Elvis was quite the trooper and thanked us for putting up with him. It was actually quite an enjoyable show. Other problems including problems with some of the equipment happened so I figure they're glad this one is over. When Good Year For The Roses began, some guy held out roses for Elvis to take. It was funny in the awkwardness watching Elvis look over occasionally while the guy kept holding the flowers up while Elvis was singing. When Elvis grabbed the flowers during the song, the guy wanted Elvis to put a rose in his lapel but Elvis decided to put it behind his ear instead which was cute. Still, Elvis really seemed to be lingering and giving us our money's worth.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

He wears great ties these days.
I know, I know!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

So he's looking OK but his voice is not so good. His voice trouble doesn't bode well for February - especially as there isn't much of a break in the touring schedule.

I hope there aren't any UK postponements - especially for Muggy's sake.

With regards to the guy with the roses, how funny is that? Maybe we should all take a prop of a song we'd like Elvis to play and then try to hand it to him. Hmm, where can I find 13 steps leading down...? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Verbal DUDE! He's NOT looking ok. From the back he looks like a Danny DeVito hunchback! He needs to watch himself. He's been touring for like 3 years straight.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

In Copenhagen he surely didn't look like a guy who's been relaxing in Hawaii recently. Seems like a good show though - lot's of song I want to hear. Hope that his voice won't affect the upcoming shows
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
verbal gymnastics

Cope - you said he looked awful last week and Joyce said he looks great this week. Or perhaps she was too besotted with his tie to properly notice. I was hoping this meant that his general appearance had improved since when you saw him. He didn't look as bad in the pictures as you made out in my view. Perhaps it's just a case of looking at Elvis from male and female perspectives :lol:

Maybe he's suffering with the effects of having a wife 12 or so years his junior :wink: :lol:
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Maybe he's suffering with the effects of having a wife 12 or so years his junior :wink: :lol:
There's nothing wrong with seeing a man properly worn out by his wife.

And I tend to think he looks good, but again, maybe it's the female perspective. 8)
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

VON and I both think he looks like shit and we saw him live and close up. He looks thrashed and burnt out. If I begin to look like a Hunchback Danny DeVito...shoot my ass :lol:
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
verbal gymnastics

Copenhagen Fan wrote:If I begin to look like a Hunchback Danny DeVito...shoot my ass :lol:
I sincerely hope I haven't misinterpreted that!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/articles/n/nrc.050125.php

Review of concert from 2005-01-24: Utrecht, Holland, Vredenburg - with the Imposters
NCR, 2005-01-25
Hester Carvalho

Translated by Kees den Heijer
Elvis has a Cold and Surprises in Vredenburg
This is what every Elvis fan dreams of: an evening of classics, performed by a driven singer, without any superfluous frills and with a band keeping pace. It is precisely what the loyal Elvis-fan got yesterday evening. Be it with a small handicap because Elvis suffered from "some kind of virus" and had great difficulty getting his alternately sarcastic and tender voice audible in his microphone.

Maybe this is why he was so generous with his indestructible songs from his early years. Songs like Clubland, Alison, King of America and Pump it up were being played with the mild distance of the slightly older angry young man, while the well connected audience imagined the not reached notes or modulation themselves. Unlike the Stones' or Dylan's, Costello's 'greatest hits' are still fresh. Which radio-station ever plays Oliver's Army or I want you?

Still, this is a form Costello does not show often. Loyal to the adage 'new songs first', he too very often performs songs off the latest release for a complete show. In this case, that would not have been a punishment, because the new one, The Delivery Man, is a beautiful exploration of Elvis in the Deep (American) South, but the angriest and cross-grained melodies can be found in the early repertoire.

He offered us a choice: come back another time, or finish the show to his best abilities. The audience chose for the latter and was rewarded the cheerful dedication of a Costello who took a big bunch of roses from the audience during Good Year for the Roses, and played his tight-lipped song (I don't want to go to) Chelsea, from 1978 on a guitar from what appears to be the same year.

Only in the encore, songs from the latest release, The Delivery Man, were played. And in this way, it was all different from normal. Costello danced on with diamond-dust sprinkled boots, handed out guitar-picks and played requests. Even an Elvis with a cold still surprises after 30 years and 24 albums.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Verkouden Elvis verrast in Vredenburg
Concert: Elvis Costello & The Imposters.
Gehoord: 24/1 Vredenburg, Utrecht.

Door Hester Carvalbo

Dit is waar iedere Elvis-fan van droomt: een avond lang klassiekers, uitgevord door een gedreven zanger, zonder overbodige franje en mét een band die het tempo erin houdt. Het is precies wat de trouwe Elvis-fan gisteravond kreeg. Zij net met een lichte handicap want Costello leed aan „een of ander virus" en kreeg zijn afwisselend sarcastische en tedere stem soms maar nauwelijks hoorbaar in de mocrofoon.

Misschien was hij daarom zo royaal met de onverwoestbare liedjes uit zijn begintijd. Nummers als Clubland, Allison, King Of America en Pump It Up werden nu uitgevoerd met de milde distantie van de iets oudere angry young man, terwijl het goed ingevoerde publiek de niet gehaalde noten of stembuigingen er zelfstandig bij dacht. Anders dan bij de Stones of Dylan zijn Costello's 'greatest hits' nog steeds niet uitgekauwd.Want welk radio-station speelt ooit nog I Want You of Oliver'sArmy?

Toch was dit een vorm waarin Costello zich niet vaak laat zien. Trouw aan het adagium 'nieuwe nummers eerst', houdt ook hij zich meestal een concert-lang bezig met liedjes van be meest recente cd. Dat was in dit geval geen straf geweest, want de nieuwe, The Delivery Man, is een prachtige exploratie van Elvis in het Diepe (Amerikaanse) Zuiden, maar het nijdigste tempo en de dwarste melodieën zijn toch te vinden in het oerrepertoire.

Hij bood ons de keuze: een anderekeer terugkomen, of het werk naar beste kunnen nu afmaken. De zaal koos het laatste en werd beloond met de vrolijke inzetvan een Costello die een grote bos rozen uit het publiek aanam tijdens Good YearFor The Roses, en zijn verbeten liedje (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea, uit 1978) uitvoerde op een gitaar die zo te zien uit hetzelfde jaar stamde.

Pas in de toegift kwamcn de liedjes van Elvis Costello's laatste album The Delivery Man aan de beurt. Zo was alles anders dan anders. Costello danste op met diamantstof bestrooide laarzen, deelde plectrums uit en speelde verzoeknummers. Ook een verkouden Elvis weet na zo'n dertig en 24 lp's nog te verrassen.

Elvis Costello tijdens het nummer Blue Chair met één van de twaalf gitaren die hij in Vredenburg gebruikte. (Foto Lex van Rossen)

verbal gymnastics

johnfoyle wrote:Review of concert from 2005-01-24: Utrecht, Holland, Vredenburg - with the Imposters
NCR, 2005-01-25
Hester Carvalho

"Only in the encore, songs from the latest release, The Delivery Man, were played."
Have I missed an album release?
migdd

Post by migdd »

There's that old song -"King of America" mentioned again! Now which album was that song on? :wink:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://3voor12lokaal.vpro.nl/magazines/ ... news=86001

Maandag 24 januari lijkt wel een vervloekte datum, met aan de andere kant wonderbaarlijke krachten. Inmiddels heeft iedereen kunnen lezen hoe het The Smashing Pumpkins vijf jaar geleden verging. Elvis Costello is er vanavond niet anders aan toe, met eender resultaat overigens. Of, zoals hijzelf bij de artiestenuitgang na afloop zegt: “It’s been a tough night, my throat is in shambles: shattered”. De spreekstem van de kleine zanger lijkt op dat moment inderdaad gevaarlijk veel op Tom Waits’ signatuurgeluid.

Binnen was daar al het een ander van te merken. Stipt op tijd dimt het licht en amper een kwartier later hebben Elvis Costello & The Imposters er al vijf nummers opzitten. Snoeihard rockend werk, met een gestrekt been erin vliegend. Dat we het even weten; dit is geen show uit het rijtje van Metropole Orkest en dergelijke. Costello en co. spelen een rockshow.

Dus ontbreekt het scheurende ‘Tear Off Your Own Head’ niet. En zo citeert Costello nog een poosje door uit nieuw en oud (‘Radio, Radio’). Volgens hetzelfde stramien gaat het concert van knetterende rock, naar schmierend croonerswerk of freaky bluesmateriaal. Steeds zoekt Costello de precaire balans tussen vrij recent en gouden oudjes.

Na ongeveer een half uur slaat de collectieve schrik Vredenburg om het hart. Het euvel van de gure late januarimaand heeft zijn effect gehad op Costello. Dat was ook wel te horen. Hoestje tussendoor, hoofdschudden en vooral een raspend, krakend stemgeluid; ze beloofden weinig goeds. Costello richt zijn tot het publiek: “Luister, ik heb één of ander virus onder de leden en mijn stem ligt in puin. Ik kan nu stoppen en de show op een andere datum spelen, of kijken hoever ik kom…” Het behoeft geen betoog dat de zaal kiest voor de laatste optie.

Daar heeft Vredenburg niet verkeerd aan gedaan. In de set ontwaar ik toppers als ‘Uncomplicated’, ‘Psycho’, ‘Blame It On Cain’ en ‘Needle Time’. Na een uur en een kwartier is de koek op. Elvis Costello & The Imposters verlaten het plankier. Maar amper een paar minuutjes later zijn ze alweer terug.

Wat Vredenburg daarna krijgt voorgeschoteld, kent zijn weerga nauwelijks. In de eerste bisronde alleen al volgen zeven (als ik goed meegeteld heb) toegiften. De laatste serie voegt daar nog eens vier nummers aan toe. En steeds denk je dat het toch echt wel afgelopen is. Maar Costello denkt daar heel anders over. Een uurlang duurt het extraatje.

Zijn stem wordt allengs beter en hij krijgt er echt zin in. Wederom meandert hij door zijn uitgebreide catalogus. ‘Nothing Clings Like Ivy’ en ‘Oliver’s Army’, of ‘(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding?’; ze zijn present en staan zij aan zij.

En godzijdank roept in Nederland altijd wel een-of-andere halvezool om ‘I Want You’. Want het kwam en het kwam goed: heel erg goed. Van begin tot eind, met een overweldigend middenstuk stond dit meesterwerk er wéér. Net als twee jaar geleden in Paradiso. En weer was het kippenvel niet van de lucht.

Een cynicus zou Costello kunnen betichten van het herhalen van steeds hetzelfde kunstje. Ergens zit daar ook wel een kleine kern van waarheid in. Bovendien weet hij het publiek professioneel te bedienen met zijn songkeuze. Tegelijk is waar dat zijn talent nog altijd boekdelen spreekt. Dat zijn nummers staan als een huis. En live nog een extra mooi randje krijgen.

Door zijn eigen passie, maar ook door de vaardige handen van The Imposters; zijn band. Waarin vooral ‘Professor’ Steve Nieve op een veelheid aan toetsen en theremin niet onvermeld mag blijven. Als het product van een vaag wetenschappelijk experiment tussen een Stephen Hawking on acid en Berend – Bauer – Dubbe, gaat hij zijn klavieren te lijf (letterlijk) en snijden zijn hamerende of vloeiende tonen moeiteloos door het snaren- en drumgeweld heen.

Met zijn Imposters (verder: Pete Thomas op drums en bassist Davey Faragher) heeft Elvis Costello zijn live-act helemaal op orde. De man selecteert uit zijn back-catalogue precies die nummers die passen bij het album dat hij op dit moment toert. En als er à l’improviste opeens een onverwacht oudje gespeeld wordt, kan de band het makkelijk aan.

Zo kreeg Vredenburg ondanks Costello’s brakke keel toch een fabuleus concert te horen. In een dikke twee uur tijd kwamen rond de dertig tracks langs. Met voor een ieder wel iets van zijn, of haar gading. Liefhebbers van zijn nieuwe plaat ‘The Delivery Man’ kwamen ruimschoots aan hun trekken, net als de ‘Greatest Hits’-kenners. En wat kan Muziekcentrum Vredenburg toch voor even heel klein aanvoelen, als Costello weer om een gitaar vraagt en doorgaat. Het zal toch niet, voel je de mensen of je heen denken. Het zal dus écht wel! Een knusse show van deze kleine meester.

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Gezien: 24 januari 2005, Muziekcentrum Vredenburg
Man out of Time

Re: 2005-01-24: Utrecht, Holland, Vredenburg

Post by Man out of Time »

Review by Gijsbert Kamer in De Volkskrant, January 26, 2005:

http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2676/Cul ... enen.dhtml

"Verkouden Costello zingt weer eens vanuit zijn tenen

Na twintig minuten deed Elvis Costello zijn gehoor een vreemd voorstel: zullen we ophouden en een andere datum voor dit concert vaststellen, of zal ik met mijn door een virus aangetaste stem het optreden toch tot een goed einde proberen te brengen?...

Het publiek leek met stomheid geslagen. Inderdaad, tot dan toe klonk het nergens naar, maar dat leek niet eens zozeer aan Costello's stem te liggen. Drums, toetsen, bas en gitaar stonden compleet uit balans, het totaalgeluid was aanstootgevend slecht, van de gejaagd gespeelde openingsnummers waren slechts flarden herkenbaar geweest. Ergens leek het eerste liedje op Blue Chair, en in de verte kon je regels uit Beyond Belief ontwaren, en door een hoop gedrein viel inderdaad een schim van Radio, Radio te onderscheiden.

Op papier een opening om je vingers bij af te likken, maar zo beroerd had het in het Utrechtse Vredenburg al jaren niet meer geklonken.

Tot een serieuze publieksenquête kwam het niet. Na wat gemor in de zaal concludeerde de zieke zanger dat hij maar door moest gaan. Wie of wat hem dat inzicht verschafte was niet duidelijk, maar zijn beslissing was de juiste. De twee uur die volgden, kunnen de boeken in als Costello op z'n best. Costello die getergd was, wanhopig zoekende en in gevecht met zichzelf. Costello zoals we die al twee decennia niet meer hebben meegemaakt. Want het mag zo zijn dat hij technisch beter is gaan zingen, zijn zelfverzekerdheid die daaruit is voortgekomen begon irritante proporties aan te nemen.

In Vredenburg moest hij weer eens vechten en met wie kon hij dat beter doen dan met zijn oude begeleiders The Attractions. Met een andere bassist (Davey Faragher) heten ze nu The Imposters en als geen ander bleken ze in staat hun verkouden broodheer door zijn set te loodsen. De zwierige toetsenpartijen van Steve Nieve en het solide drumwerk van Pete Thomas sieren de nummers van Costello het best. Alle samenwerkingen uit het verleden met strijkkwartetten en Metropool-orkesten ten spijt.

Met deze Imposters maakte hij vorig The Delivery Man, ook eindelijk weer eens een goed album. Maar het waren de verrassende keuzes uit zijn oude catalogus die de avond zo gedenkwaardig maakte. Veel hits, Alison, Chelsea, Good Year For The Roses en in de finale een vanuit de tenen gespeeld I Want You. Mooist van allemaal was Psycho, een b-kantje uit 1981, Psycho een van de mooiste niet door hem gescheven nummers die Costello ooit op de plaat zette.

Dit liedje vormde het keerpunt van de avond, terwijl ook Clubland en High Fidelity bewezen hoe klassiek veel Costellonummers na een kwart eeuw zijn geworden.

Een verstild The Scarlet Tide vormde de perfecte afsluiting van een avond die de in de loop der jaren opgedoemde twijfels over de houdbaarheid van Elvis Costello wegvaagde. De zieke Costello was een onvoorspelbaar goede Costello."

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

"Cold Costello sings again from his toes

After twenty minutes Elvis Costello did his hearing a strange proposal: shall we stop and fix another date for this concert, or should I still try to bring it to a successful conclusion ... with my voice affected by a virus?

The audience seemed beaten dumb. Indeed, until then sounded lame, but that did not so much lie. To Costello's voice Drums, keyboards, bass and guitar were completely out of balance, the overall sound was bad offensive, hunted played the opening numbers were only fragments have been identified. Somehow it seemed the first song on Blue Chair, and in the distance you could discern rules Beyond Belief, and fell through a lot whimper indeed you could distinguish a shadow of Radio, Radio.

On paper an opening to lick your fingers, but so bad had not sounded in the Utrecht Vredenburg years.

A serious public survey it did not come. After some grumbling in the room the sick singer concluded that he should continue. Who or what gave him that insight was not clear, but his decision was the right one. The two hours that followed, the books as Costello at best . Costello was provoked, desperately seeking and fighting with himself. Costello as we have not experienced. Since those two decades it may be that he is technically a better singer, his self-assurance that derived from it began to decline. Irritating proportions

In Vredenburg he had to fight again, and with whom he could do better than his old companions with The Attractions. With another bassist ( Davey Faragher ) they are now called The Imposters and like no other they were able colds their patron by pilots. Been set The flamboyant keyboards of Steve Nieve and the solid drumming of Pete Thomas adorn the numbers of Costello's best. All collaborations from the past with string quartets and the Metropole Orchestra notwithstanding.

This Imposters he finally made ​​last The Delivery Man, again a good album. But it was the surprising choices from his old catalog that made ​​the evening so memorable . Many hits , Alison , Chelsea, Good Year For The Roses and the final one played from the toes I Want You. Most beautiful of all was Psycho, a b-side from 1981, one of the finest cover versions ever put on vinyl.

This song was the turning point of the evening , while Clubland and High Fidelity proved how much classic Costello numbers have become after a quarter of a century.

A hushed The Scarlet Tide was the perfect end to a night that loomed over the years wiped doubts about the sustainability of Elvis Costello. The sick Costello was a good unpredictable Costello. "

MOOT