26. You bowed down
27. (What's so funny about) Peace, love & understanding
28. The scarlet tide
29. I want you

A great show, but mainly due to the fact that Elvis had some problems
with his
voice (a virus), it was not the greatest EC-show I saw

Filip Dejongh
Last edited by johnfoyle on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
frank

Post by frank »

Hello,

I was there. Don't have the time now to give you a full report. It's was a great show, but Elvis struggled with a virus, so his voice sometimes let him down.

It's incredible that he did almost 30 songs with a painfull troath. Admirable. Full report later.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

would like to hear that. quite different than copenhagen. you bowed down! how was that?

(ps. dear elvis, please give up the scarlet tide before you get to tennessee. dear oily, not likely.)
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Good to see you back Frank. Look forward to your report.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Cool to see Our Little Angel being worked into the set.... :D ...would love to see him do Little Palaces too!
frank

Post by frank »

Sorry for being so late with my review, but I had a real busy week.

By now, I’ve seen Elvis at least 12/13 times, and this show certainly was one of his bests. Despite a virus (and some problems with his voice) he looked very much in shape and was very energetic. To Cope: it must have been someone else you saw.

The queen Elisabeth hall in Antwerp is a nice venue with a capacity of more than 2000 people and was almost sold out. Great audience that received Elvis with great enthusiasm. Each time I visit a Costello show there are some surprises; same thing now. A really great version of ‘Our little angel’ and ‘Brilliant mistake’. I particularly liked him performing ‘Suit of lights’ (one of my all time favourites) but his voice let him down a bit on this one.

A bit ‘tongue in cheek’ how he announced ‘Blame it on the Cain’ (My new album is about a guy called ‘Abel’… this song is about his brother).

The press in Belgium was (as always) overwhelming. ‘De Morgen’ – an important national newspaper- gave the concert 5 stars out of 5 (very rare) and titled ‘Magic Costello… more dynamic than Franz Ferdinand.’....
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

frank wrote:Sorry for being so late with my review, but I had a real busy week.
At least you were frank in your comments, Frank. Brilliant Mistake seems to always go down well from all reviews I've read. How did the accordion bits sound?
more dynamic than Franz Ferdinand
That would surely raise a few eyebrows...
Man out of Time

Re: Antwerp setlist

Post by Man out of Time »

Review at MuziekFriek:

In Dutch:

"Patrick Aloysius Declan MacManus, Elvis Costello voor de vrienden, is een hoedenliefhebber. Terwijl mensen als u en ik postzegels of luciferdoosjes verzamelen, verzamelt hij hoeden. In zijn collectie prijken allerlei hoeden : een new-wave-hoed, een chanson-hoeden, zelfs een klassieke hoed. Onlangs schafte hij zich een typische delta-blues-hoed aan, een ietwat vergeelde hoed met een bruin zweetrandje. Die hoed past namelijk perfect bij zijn laatste album The Delivery Man.

Het was precies die plaat die hij kwam voorstellen in de Elisabethzaal. Nu staat deze zaal bekend om zijn fantastische akoestiek, maar precies daar leek er een probleem te bestaan, of was dat dan toch omdat ik de verkeerde plaats had gekozen. Niet getreurd, het enthousiasme waarmee Costello en zijn onovertroffen Imposters - of hij ze nu zo noemt of The Attractions of de Kakkerlakken van Zichenzussenbolder, deze backing groep weet van wanten - aan de slag gingen, was aanstekelijk en deed dit kleine ongemak al gauw vergeten.

The Name of This Thing Is Not Love, Button My Lip en Country Darkness waren de enige nummers van zijn laaste album die in het eerste deel van het optreden werden gebracht. Uiteraard werden de oudere nummers in een speciaal kleedje gestoken, hetgeen resulteerde in een bizarre versie van (I Don't want to go to) Chelsea (inclusief opzettelijk (?) wegvallende stem), een bijna nonchalante versie van Good Year for the Roses, een pakkende versie van Our Little Angel en een meeslepende, fantastische versie van When I Was Cruel, dat middels een drumroffel mooi overliep in Watching the Detectives.

Intussen was al duidelijk geworden dat Steve Nieve zijn frontman na twintig jaar nog steeds perfect aanvult (en -voelt), dat Pete Thomas als een dartel veulen over zijn drumkit draaft en dat 'nieuwkomer' Davey Farragher naast een uitstekend basspeler ook een schitterende tweede stem voor de meester is.

In het tweede deel werd dan wel meer plaats gemaakt voor recente nummers als het titelnummer van zijn laatste CD evenals Either Side of Town en nog enkele andere nummers, mooi aangevuld met oudere nummers als Pump It Up en een bluescover. Costello heeft nu eenmaal een oeuvre dat niet alleen uitblinkt in kwaliteit, maar ook de nodige afwisseling biedt.

Uiteraard mocht publiekslieveling I Want You niet ontbreken. Het nummer werd opgesmukt met indringende gitaarsolo's als ruggemergpuncties, hetgeen het nog een extra dimensie leek te geven, een ideale afsluiter voor een mooie avond.

Ongeacht welke hoed hij van zijn rek neemt, je kan er vergif op innemen dat hij van elke show iets unieks maakt. In dit geval had hij zelfs geen hoed op en toch ... "In a certain light, he looked like Elvis ...".

And in Google Translate "English":

"Declan Patrick Aloysius MacManus , Elvis Costello to his friends , is a hat lover. While people like you and I collect stamps or matchboxes , he collects hats. In his collection of all kinds of hats adorn a new-wave - hat, a chanson hats, even a classic hat . He recently bought himself a typical delta - blues - hat on a hat with a slightly yellowed brown sweat edge. That hat fits perfectly because his latest album is "The Delivery Man".

It was exactly the record he did perform in Elizabeth Hall . Now this room is known for its amazing acoustics , but right now there seems to be a problem to , or was it anyway because I had chosen. The wrong place? Do not worry, the enthusiasm with which Costello and his unsurpassed Imposters - whether he calls them now so or The Attractions of the Cockroaches Himself Sisters Bolder , this backing group knows the ropes - went to work , was contagious and meant this small inconvenience was soon forgotten.

The Name of This Thing Is Not Love , Button My Lip and Country Darkness were the only songs from his last album that were brought . In the first part of the action Obviously the older songs were given a special dress , resulting in a bizarre version of (I Do not want to go to) Chelsea ( including intentionally ( ? ) Clipped voice ) , an almost nonchalant version of Good Year for the Roses , a catchy version of Our Little Angel and a compelling , fantastic version of When I Was Cruel , that means a drum roll nicely defected in Watching the Detectives .

Meanwhile it had become clear that Steve Nieve still complements his frontman perfectly after twenty years ( and feels) , Pete Thomas as a frisky colt trotting over his drum kit and newcomer Davey Farragher besides being an excellent bass player is also a superb second voice for the master.

In the second part has been replaced or more recent songs like the title track of his latest CD and Either Side of Town and some other songs , beautifully complemented with older songs like Pump It Up and a blue cover . Costello happens to have a body of work that not only excels in quality , but also provides the necessary variety .

Obviously the crowd's favourite "I Want You" is not missing. The song was embellished with piercing guitar solos as ruggemergpuncties , making it an extra dimension seemed to provide an ideal valve for a lovely evening .

Regardless of which hat he takes his rack, you can bet that he makes something unique every show . In this case, he even
had no hat on , and yet ... "In a certain light , he looked like Elvis ... " .

The online article also has some slightly blurry photos of the show.

MOOT