Pope John Paul

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
johnfoyle

Pope John Paul

Post by johnfoyle »

I'll always associate Pope John Paul with the fact that , because of his visit to Ireland in 1979 , my parents finally got a colour televison. Apparently his visit just had to be seen in technicolor.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Apparently the next one is going to be Pope George Ringo.
signed with love and vicious kisses
alexv

Post by alexv »

I don't mean to offend, but his protracted exit is starting to remind me of Generalisimo Francisco Franco's long goodbye.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yeah, but at least it's got people talking about something other than Terri Schiavo and the Jacko trial. Lurching from one over-hyped sensational story to another. Hold on, Prince Rainier is next!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

They always go in threes -

Who had the Johnny Cochrane - Frank Purdue - Pope trifecta?
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Actually, it's a bit sadder than we might have wished for (see separate thread). I'm about to post an RIP for Mitch Hedberg.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

My Irish aunt-in-law is a member of some disturbing anti-papal sect called Palmar de Troya, named after the village in the province of Seville where a nutter called Gregorio has seen apparitions. The sect believe he is the real pope. She was forbidden by the local head of sect from going to her own brother's funeral this week because they won't set foot in any church where the Pope is recognised. It's a funny old world.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

The pope just keeps a-popein' on...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bambooneedle wrote:The pope just keeps a-popein' on...
Yes, but barely...

Reminds me of a TV news report I saw the last time the Pope visited the States some years ago. They showed a bunch of people craning their necks to get a view of him as he went by and one idiot in a baseball cap close to the camera yelled out, "Wooooo!!! Pope!!!" Like he was at the Arsenio Hall show or something.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Hm, didn't bother to see him at World Youth Day in Toronto back in 2002. Guess I'm not a very good Polish Catholic :oops:
My granny isn't taking all this very well at all.
I hear the peeps up on Mont Royal are changing the bulbs...
(Word has it the giant cross up on Mount Royal (normally lit in white) is supposed to go purple when a pope dies; guess this is the time we find out whether that's fact or fiction.)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

When I go I want to go quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the screaming and yelling passenger in his car.
bobster

Post by bobster »

If the TV sets at my gym are any indication, Fox News has become pretty much become "Pope Deathwatch TV," which is probably an improvement.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

bambooneedle wrote:When I go I want to go quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the screaming and yelling passenger in his car.
Oh, Bamboo!!! :lol:

I'm very sad (and kind of scared) to see the pope leave us. His passing at this particular time (w/Terri Schiavo) is so ironic. I think he's showing us and teaching us a lesson about life and the end of life that's so important and needs our attention.
The Catholic church is in a shambles and the death of this pope certainly isn't going to make anything any better.
I'm sad, I really am. :cry:
I'm not angry anymore....
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Cannot find proper words to describe how tragic this is and how sad I am.
I still have hope, though.

And all I'm asking you for is some respect for a dying man.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Invisible:

I can only imagine how you might feel, as a fellow countryman and a person of deep personal conviction has left us. First non-Italian Pope elected (divinely selected, actually) in 450 years, serving for over 2.5 decades.

History will show that he did more than any of us has seen to help return the Catholic Church to a strong, revered worldwide standing after the repulsive exposure and intervention into the priest pedophilia scandal. I think we will see the results of deep, prayerful reflection on this issue int he coming weeks.

I wonder how many have taken the time to read any of the papal encyclicals writen over the last 50 years or so. You may be quite enlightened by the incredible mind of the last few Popes, especially John Paul II.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I recognise his stature and significance as the only Pope I've really been aware of in my life, much as I disagree with many of his views and hope for a more libertarian successor. And I recognise his huge significance within Poland and extend my condolences to those who mourn him. And I heartily endorse his pacifism and unflinching opposition to war. It amused me to see Bush paying the obligatory homage when the Pope was opposed to both his and his father's actions in Iraq.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Otis~I was going to say this privately, but there's really no reason to.

I just wanted to say how kind and eloquent your last post was. It was mature and respectful and I'm sure it was appreciated by anyone who cared about the Pope. (I, being one of them.)

:)
I'm not angry anymore....