EC's Guide to Music on Amazon?

Pretty self-explanatory
MistakenForLilies

EC's Guide to Music on Amazon?

Post by MistakenForLilies »

In case no one has seen this.... (I don't remember seeing it mentioned here before)

------

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/gu ... 59-9144703

To mark the release of his latest album, 'The Delivery Man [Deluxe Edition]', Elvis Costello shares with Amazon customers some of his favorite albums.

Elvis Costello's List of Music You Should Hear

'More Adventurous', Rilo Kiley
This album has the best lyric writing that I've heard in many a day. "Does He Love You?" is the finest and most touching telling of a short story that you are likely to hear all year. Rilo Kiley have wonderful melodies and great playing and singing. Don't miss this one.

'Uh Huh Her', PJ Harvey
My favourite Polly Harvey records have always been the raw and bare ones, driven by her great guitar playing and voice. She plays everything on this one, except drums and it is all the more vivid as a consequence. Check out "Slow Drug" and "Pocketknife."

'Moments from This Theater', Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham
This is the best Dan Penn album in catalogue because it is spare and spontaneous, putting the spotlight on those remarkable songs ("Dark End of the Street," "It Tears Me Up," and "I'm Your Puppet") and Dan's amazing voice. This is what Elvis Presley could have been.

'Ollabelle', Ollabelle
A terrific vocal group with several vivid personalities. They have found the gospel in the Rolling Stones' "I Am Waiting" just as much as in Blind Willie Johnson's "Soul of a Man". Check out "Before This Time."

'David Ackles', David Ackles
I've loved and recommended this record since the late '60s and I am glad to see it in the CD catalogue. David Ackles was probably the most underrated songwriter of his time. His melancholy voice and adult writing style was totally out of step with the times but the songs really hold up. Check out "Blue Ribbons" or "Road to Cairo." It is hard to choose between this one and the 'Subway to the Country' album. I strongly recommend both.

'Bruckner - Mass No. 1 in D minor - Motets / Orgonasova, Fink, Prégardien, Wilm Schulte; Gardiner' by Bruckner/Vienna Philharmonic, Monteverdi Choir with Sir John Eliot Gardiner
I stumbled on this recording recently while looking for a Bruckner symphony (the 9th Symphony is a favourite work of mine). It is a really beautiful piece and this disc also contains some lovely performances of the motets.
[Among the recordings of Bruckner's 9th Symphony available at Amazon are 'Bruckner: Symphonie No. 9' (Vienna Philharmonic with Carlo Maria Giulini) and 'Bruckner: Symphony No. 9' (Berlin Philharmonic with Herbert von Karajan).]

'Guitarra Portuguesa', Carlos Paredes
I was given this album recently during my first visit to Portugal in twenty-five years. Now I know what I've been missing; mysterious, delicate melodies and incredible playing.

'Practice Tape No.1', Bill Evans
There are so many incredible Bill Evans records to recommend but this is something curious; a glimpse of his working methods, improvising at home and playing through pieces by Bach. Some of the performances are just fragments but it's rare to hear such sketches by a great artist.

'The Return of Wayne Douglas', Doug Sahm
The final release by a much-missed character. If you can't find the all-star 'Doug Sahm & Band' on Atlantic, then this is a great alternative. My favourites are "Cowboy Peyton Place" and the really funny "Oh No, Not Another One," a must for "real country" fans.

'Essential Sonny Boy Williamson', Sonny Boy Williamson
There are shorter, cheaper collections but treat yourself to this double CD and you won't regret it. It contains all of the most famous sides, "Don't Start Me Talking," "Your Funeral and My Trial," and "Help Me," but also gives you the quirky "Little Village," "Like Wolf," and "The Unseen Eye." A poet and the most conversational singer and harp-player you will ever hear.

More Elvis

'My Aim Is True (With Bonus Disc)' (1977)
'This Year's Model (With Bonus Disc)', Elvis Costello and the Attractions (1978)
'Armed Forces [Expanded]', Elvis Costello and the Attractions (1979)
'Imperial Bedroom [Expanded]', Elvis Costello and the Attractions (1982)
'King of America [Expanded]', the Costello Show (1986)
'Blood & Chocolate (With Bonus Disc)', Elvis Costello and the Attractions (1986)
'Painted from Memory', Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach (1998)

[9/20/2004]
Find other artists' favorite music at http://www.amazon.com/musicyoushouldhear
Till I speak double Dutch to a real double duchess.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

I've read this list but I could swear it wasn't on Amazon.......of course I can't remember where.

:roll:
I'm not angry anymore....
whar

Post by whar »

It continues to shock me...

Elvis loves Rilo Kiley.

It's really incredible. This is one of the scene bands that lay hand in hand with Head Automatica and Glassjaw and The Postal Service (considering Rilo Kiley's vocalist is in the group). Well, I don't care for the Postal Service, but Rilo Kiley is wonderful.

I remember reading on Bright Blue Times that Pete Thomas's child's friend or whatever is in the band, and that is where EC discovered the music. Whatever the story, it's a great link between my world and the rest of this board's world.
Oy with the poodles, already!