Nick Lowe (again)

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jackson Monk

Nick Lowe (again)

Post by Jackson Monk »

I know this is weird but I have only recently been discovering Nick in any depth. I love a lot of what I've heard but feel I'm missing stuff...

Can anyone recommend his best tracks/albums etc...

Big thanks, peace, love and understanding etc.....

Ps. I hate sprouts and nobody can convince me of their benefits :x
corruptio optimi pessima
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I've barely listened to 40% of his songs, but from what I've heard my favourite albums are Jesus Of Cool and Dig My Mood.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I'm a big, big Nick Lowe fan and have, at one time or another, owned almost his entire catalogue (a good chunk of it having dissappearing in the now-legendary Bobster Vinyl Debacle).

Sadly, many of Nick's most happening albums are long out of print. but most of the best have been repackaged in various forms.

In any case, I believe Jesus of Cool (aka "Pure Pop for Now People" in the States) is in print, and it's definitely the place to start. Contains a lot of my personal faves, including the lovely, vastly underrated "Tonight", "(I Love the Sounds of) Breaking Glass)," "They Called it Rock" and "Heart of the City" which E.C. has started to cover again recently. (He played it alot in the seventies/eighties).

"Labour of Lust" is just about as good, if you can find it (and if you do, tell me where...I blew my last opportunity to buy this classic). Contains Nick's one giant U.S. hit -- a much, much bigger U.S. hit at least in terms of Top 40 airplay than anything Elvis released up to that time, when he was still pretty much a cult figure here -- "Cruel to be Kind." Other highlights include "American Squirm" (EC on backing vocals), "Cracking Up" and "Without Love" (later covered by Nick's then step-father in-law, Johnny Cash). This is an unofficial Rockpile album and is in a kind of line with Dave Edmunds "Repeat when Neccessary" and "Get It" as well as the official Rockpile album, Seconds of Pleasure" -- all of which feature great Lowe tunes, including the best studio version of "I Knew the Bride (When She Used to Rock and Roll")."

If you're into alt country like so many board members, however, you might skip all the way to the 1990s and Nick's great "The Impossible Bird", though I enjoyed "Dig My Mood" even more.

I could on and on about this. Nick Lowe is one of the great secrets of modern pop music, the kind of performer who makes things look easy and rightfully disdains the roll of the tortured genius. He actually is a kind of genius, though listeners have too much fun listening to his stuff to notice.
Last edited by bobster on Sun May 15, 2005 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
verena

Nick Lowe

Post by verena »

So sorry Jack, I am afraid to be on the verge of a blackout (again).

Tonight I only remember what Nick means in French (spelling is just a bit different). Since you guys don't mind bad language, I gonna tell you what : Fuck :lol: .
Please note that I am not kidding (just in case !) . In French I don't like the word (vulgar). But "fuck" is a great sounding word, and one can express a lot with it (doesn't work in French with verbs, grammatically).
Of course, no issue with Nick.

Wadda ya mean with "sprouts" ?
I am not a queen of English you know, pretty good for a French but still lacking when around highly educated people (wether talking oxbridge or slang).

So does it refer to some vegetable (as a metaphor) ?

More likely kids, perhaps. If this is it, I'll tell you something. I did not have any, probably never wanted to. I was afraid that I would make them unhappy. Which is the most terrible thing one can do, ever. Lade me run away from certain men, willingly or not (which may have been a stupid sorry thing to do). But I have no complains, I can live with it. And I have family and friends with children of all ages whom I love (some of them); scattered all over the world unfortunately, and fortunately. Lots of places to crash to, right !
verena

Nick (again)

Post by verena »

Shit! My post came out screwed up. Bobster's fault, cause of his own one of a post. My corrections did not "take".

Bobster : I just got the most gigantic KICK out of your little piece of literature.

As well as a fantastic kick in the butt, devil knows why. Like when you know you probably deserve it, for whatever reason you'll find out later. So you understand that you asked for it, you get it, and it feels fucking good !

Guys, you made my night quite something to remember.

And where the hell did the ROLL OVER THE FLOOR emoticon go (down to) ?

Verena
bobster

Post by bobster »

Verena --

Glad you liked what I wrote, even if by saying that Nick never took on the "roll of a tortured genius" I was really saying that he never took on the small baked bread of tortured genius (I don't know what the French word is for "roll" but I guess a crossaint would be a kind of roll in the American sense). (It should have been "role.") I wouldn't want to be start of any longterm cross-language misunderstandings.

And, I'm guessing that Jackson M. mean bean sprouts (unless it means something else in the UK than in the U.S....you can never be sure), also sometimes called "mung beans.". It's a crisp but tastesless vegetable popular in Asian cooking and in what we used to call "health food." There are also other sprouts, which are, I think, parts of other vegetables, which are even more health foody and even less to popular taste.

And the French meaning for the word "nick" -- I hadn't heard that....kind of gives a whole new meaning to "Nick Low(e)" :) :roll:
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

My Nick Lowe experience is tied to four recordings, all of which are brilliant and at the same time lots of fun. Bobster said it perfectly:

Pure Pop for Now People - my first exposure. Great Record, but second to...
Labour of Lust - Almost a perfect pop record that is unrelenting in its presentation. Big Kick, Plain Scrap, SwitchBoard Susan, Born Fighter, and Cruel to be Kind typify this very strong piece. I think it is his best, although my exposure to his later catalogue is limited.
Rockpile - Seconds of Pleasure - this is a real treat, and the four song Everly Brothers cover bonus record is included on the CD reissue.
Nick Lowe and his Cowboy Outfit - more great stuff with Martin Belmont and Paul Carrack and others.

I knew that Boster possessed a brilliant cinematic sensibility, but I did not know that he was so well-versed in this early to mid period of Nick Lowes music. LAcking an icon, however, how would we ever have quessed???
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I second The Impossible Bird. Lots of fine songs on the album : one of Nick's most beautiful ballads, "Shelley, My Love", "The Beast In Me", "Where's My Everything?" and a great cover of "True Love Travels On A Gravel Road" are my favourites.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I don't think he has a dud - but start off with Basher - The Best of Nick Lowe. It has 25 tracks and is usually budget priced, covering the years (roughly) 1977-1987.

So It Goes
Heart of the City
(I Love the Sound of) Breaking Glass
Little Hitler
No Reason
36 Inches High
Marie Provost
American Squirm
Cracking Up
Big Kick, Plain Scrap
Born Fighter
Siwtch Board Susan
Without Love
Cruel To Be Kind
When I Write the Book
Heart
Raging Eyes
Time Wounds All Heels
Maureen
Half a Boy & Half a Man
7 Nights to Rock
She Don't Love Nobody
The Rose of England
I Knew the Bride (When She Used to Rock 'N' Roll)
Lovers Jamboree
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I have owned most of his records and I have to say the first (Jesus Of Cool, Swedish version containing early and I thinmk superior version of Cruel To Be Kind) and last (The Convincer) are my favorites.
What this world needs is more silly men.
mood swung

dare to be boring!

Post by mood swung »

Jesus of Cool is essential! It's like air!!

Pinker and Prouder is a fave of mine (a cover of Big, Big Love, Wishing Well and one of the best songs he's ever done, I Got the Love). I like Nick the Knife as well (Zulu Kiss, which is goofy, but I like goofy; Raining, Raining; Too Many Teardrops, featuring the immortal line 'now I'm all cried out, couldn't boo another hoo'). There's also a live album called Untouched Takeaway (from the Impossible Bird tours, I think) - a nice little showcase of where he's at today. Most of the later stuff I had no problem finding, but I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - a cd of Rose of England, which is a genius song.

bobster, I never disdain rolls either. maybe I'll grow up to be a understated genius.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Zulu Kiss was cool...was "Let Me Kiss Ya" or whatever it was called on that album? That was another favorite.

And, Mr. Average -- there was a point in my life where I was buying nearly any album that could be traced to Stiff Records or its various related labels, such was my admirations for Messrs. Costello and Parker and their kith and kin. I bought the Rumour albums. Nearly bought the Atrractions album for an arm and a leg until I was convinced by, I think, Gary Stewart himself not to!

In any case, I am in general a big fan of creators who are outstanding craftsmen but don't take themselves that seriously, so Nick is an obvious inspiration for me. In fact, when it comes to trying to get something creative done, I've basically made "bash it out now, tart it up later" my own slogan/procedure. (But you do, in fact, have to spend at least twice as much time "tarting it up" as you do "bashing it out"!)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Here's a cool pic of Nick I just found:
Looks like he's been Nutted By Reality.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Oddly enough, he resembles a small, red X.

What a role model.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Bobster-
Then you might recognize Ian Gomm, Lene Lovich, Ian Dury as some of the Stiff records releases many moons ago. I loved the first records from these guys (Not Ian Dury, who had been around for awhile. But Ian Gomm sure had a pure pop sound that was quite infectious.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

Mr. Average wrote:Bobster-
Then you might recognize Ian Gomm, Lene Lovich, Ian Dury as some of the Stiff records releases many moons ago. I loved the first records from these guys (Not Ian Dury, who had been around for awhile. But Ian Gomm sure had a pure pop sound that was quite infectious.
:shock: :shock: :shock: I actually met Lene after a show, ....geez, sometime back in, I dunno, late '70's, early 80's ??? (I "think" New Toy had just come out....my mind is too addled to remember details anymore......saw her in Philadelphia PA, commandeered her attention in the hallway back from the stage post-prerformance...))....she was tres' cool, have always loved her "quirks" :wink: The music "industry" sure has changed in the last 25 - 30 years, eh ??? (.....and NOT in a good way - most "new" music is overly boring and sucks out loud big time !!!)
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

invisible Pole wrote:I second The Impossible Bird. Lots of fine songs on the album : one of Nick's most beautiful ballads, "Shelley, My Love", "The Beast In Me", "Where's My Everything?" and a great cover of "True Love Travels On A Gravel Road" are my favourites.
For some reason, I've found Impossible Bird difficult to listen to, dunno why.....I have a fairly extensive Nick collection, and it just semed like he wasn't "trying" on that one....I rather enjoy the old stuff from his first several lps (not naming names due to differences betwixt UK and US releases......but have to admit that the US record execs were a bunch of pusses for not releasing his first as it was in the UK - that's one of the greatest all time album titles ever !!! LOL...) Last time I saw Nick live was right after he broke up with wife, ummmm, Carlene ??? was it ??? Carlene Carter ?? I think.....had Paul Carrack on tour with him (Cowboy Outfit ???....damn, I can't remember shit anymore...LOL)
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

thanks folks. Lots to get my ears into. I bought The Convincer through Second Spin and it arrived on Saturday - enjoying it thus far. I also managed to get a loan of Jesus of Cool from a mate. Is it ethical to copy it if I can't buy it anywhere? Oh the dilemmas of modern life :?
corruptio optimi pessima
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I've managed to get hold of most of his albums in mp3 format. I would buy them if I could find 'em, but I can't, so this will have to do for now.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

...was "Let Me Kiss Ya" or whatever it was called on that album?
yessiree, bob
Is it ethical to copy it if I can't buy it anywhere?
yep.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

The Convincer is really great. I love it to death!

Are the two previous albums in the same league?
corruptio optimi pessima
bobster

Post by bobster »

I'd say they're better! ("Convincer" left me a bit cold and is buried in a box somewhere right now...should give it another chance...)
mood swung

yippee!!!

Post by mood swung »

found this in my mailbox this morning -
Congratulations - You Are The Winning Buyer!
The Rose Of England - Nick Lowe RARE oop 1988 CD

it's going to cost me my first born son, but he eats me out of house and home anyway.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From a Nick Lowe list -

Howdy folks,
Well, the grapevine is correct. I am working on
releasing a Nick
Lowe tribute. I'm hoping to have it out before the
end of the
year. This monster is entitled "Lowe Profile: A
Tribute to Nick
Lowe" and will be a double-disc featuring 30 artists.
I
can't tell you guys what a blast it's been working on
this
project. It was like Christmas each time I received
an artist's
disc and listened to the track for the first time. I
have to be
honest, some of these tracks surpass the
originals...and that's
saying quite a bit coming from as big a Nick Lowe fan
as you can
find! I'll leave you with the roster of artists and
songs.
Please feel free to post your comments. If you have
any
questions post those too and I'll be happy to answer
them.
I'm working on setting up a website for the project.
When
it's ready, I'll post the link here.

Yours in Peace, Love & Understanding,

Walter Clevenger

LOWE PROFILE: A TRIBUTE TO NICK LOWE
Steve Allen - I Love The Sound Of Breaking Glass
Dave Alvin - Failed Christian
Eric "Roscoe" Ambel - 12 Step Program (To Quit You
Babe)
Terry Anderson & The Olympic Ass Kickin Team- You Got
The Look I Like
The Brilliant Mistakes - Everyone
Michael Carpenter - (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace,
Love and
Understanding?
Walter Clevenger & The Dairy Kings - Cloud In My Heart
Don Dixon - True Love Travels On A Gravel Road
Eugene Edwards Band - The Ugly Things
Ron Flynt & The Blue Hearts - I Knew The Bride (When
She Used To
Rock & Roll)
Chris Gaffney - Crying In My Sleep
The Glimmer Stars - Rollers Show
Ian Gomm - Cruel To Be Kind
Jamie Hoover - American Squirm
Tipsy Jack - Marie Provost
James Intveld - Lonesome Reverie
Duane Jarvis - Cupid Must Be Angry
Foster & Lloyd - Without Love
The Lowe Beats - Don't Want The Night To End
Tiffany Anastasia Lowe - Heart
Monkey Bowl - Let's Eat
The Muffs - You Make Me
Jeff Hayes - Homewrecker
Robbie Rist - Love So Fine
Bryan Shaddix - Couldn't Love You (Anymore Than I Do)
Rick Shea & Christy McWilson - They've Never Been In
Love
SparkleJets UK - When I Write The Book
Greg Trooper - What's Shaking On The Hill
Jesse Valenzuela - Saint Beneath The Paint
Steve Wynn - Truth Drug

------------------------------------------------------

see also -

http://www.walterclevenger.com/
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

wow, way cool, johnfoyle. how do you find all this stuff?

Terry Anderson & The Olympic Ass Kickin Team. Best Name Ever.