A book called....Waiting for the End of the World

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

A book called....Waiting for the End of the World

Post by johnfoyle »

This I just have to get !
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books

Waiting for the End of the World
by Madison Smartt Bell

Hardcover: 322 pages
Publisher: Ticknor & Fields (August 1, 1985)
Language: English
ISBN: 0899193773

Even with this Amazon comment -

' Post-Modern posturing and hocus pocus masquerading as mysticism and eschatology. Larkin is the closest thing to an interesting character this book presents, and its pacing makes frozen molasses seem to run like quicksilver. No need to mention plot inconsistencies and outright gaffes by the author. The editor should be shot.'
ahawkman

Post by ahawkman »

Go for it! Your review will be the tiebreaker.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

And what does this have to do with Elvis Costello? (Xept it's got a title of one of his songs)
alexv

Post by alexv »

John, this is an old book, which came out in the early 80s when it was still cool to put out novels with titles from EC songs. I remember reading it and not liking it much, but it did have great late 70s, early 80s NYC atmospherics (the spontaneous combustion trick somehow seemed like a realistic component of NYC life at the time). Its Times Square descriptions now have no connection to current Times Square, and are probably interesting to read for their nostalgic value. No mention of EC in the book as I recall.