Healing Through Music

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
E.C. Lover

Healing Through Music

Post by E.C. Lover »

Hi,
O.K., I'm coming to you guys as dedicated music fans who may be able to offer some help/advise.
I am going to have to give you some background info. first, so here goes...
Healing Through Music is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping Cancer patients meet the basic needs of day to day living while instilling a sense of community in the city in which the benefit takes place.
The organization was founded by my mother and sister in 1999 because my mother, being a cancer patient, and unable to work any longer could not afford rent, let alone the enormous burden of purchasing prescripton drugs without the benefit of insurance.
My mother was a patient at the University of Arizona's Cancer Center. There is a fund there called the patients assistance fund. This fund helped my mother by providing her the monies to afford the nescessary medications and even paid the occasional electric bill etc. The fund is supported 100% by donation. This fund literally saved my mom on more than one occasion.
My mother and sister were trying to figure out ways in which to repay the fund and thank the cancer center for their amazing generousity. They came up with the "Healing Through Music" benefit concert.
The idea is to not only have the top local bands perform a concert to benefit the patients assistance fund, but to give exposure to those bands, as well as create a sense of community within the city that the funds benefit. Meaning that we are not just making a random donation, we are helping people within our community that need our help.
the first year we raised $3,000. that was huge for us and very exciting. We were exclusively local bands and had the support of local radio.
In 2002 we raised a whopping $8,000! We had Calexico/Giant Sand (a local act), and Kristen Hersch as headliners,as well as six other local bands. The event was awesome!
So, that brings me to this year. The event is scheduled for Sept.27, and we have no headliner.
We can provide nothing more than lodging and a meal, plus a really good time.
Any ideas?
We need someone fairly low maintenance, but with a reasonable draw.
Help!
Anything you can come up with would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

For some reason The Eels pops into mind. Not sure why.

Honestly though, as horrible as this might sound, you might want to do some research and find out what bands out there have a soft spot for cancer research. Anyone who cares about it enough may end up doing it for next to nothing.
bobster

Post by bobster »

There was a cancer benefit concert in L.A. that, it just so happens, was also an EC tribute show. (It was in the name of long time L.A. music industry person who passed away recently, though the official benefactor was the cancer ward at County-USC, I think. Sorry, I can't remember his name but there was actually a short thread about it on this site.)

Anyways, among there was quite a long list of L.A. bands who performed. Many, I'm sure, were there because out of friendship -- and lots were just big Elvis gans -- but if you can track down the organizer, he might help. I spoke to him briefly and he seemed like a genuinely good guy.

The biggest names that night were Aimee Mann and Michael Penn (though they only did a few songs). A very young band/singer songwriter called "Kennedy" also played. I take it he/they have a following here in town, though he/they was new to me. They completely blew me away, for what it's worth. Other performers included Anne Magnuson and, I think, the Like (who might be more the kind of draw you need -- and I understand they're friendly with celebrity rockers Phantom Planet....)

Sorry I can't give more detailed info. (I was trying to get in touch with this guy awhile ago for something I was working on and had no luck myself, but that doesn't mean you won't.)

Hope this helps a little tiny bit.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
E.C. Lover

Post by E.C. Lover »

You know what, interestingly enough, I met that guy at the UCLA shows,through my sister who was at the tribute gig. I totally forgot about that guy. I'll try to get my sister to get in touch with him. She lives out in L.A. now, and even more importantly, she's not afraid to ask for what she wants. maybe he could offer some good advice.
We actually approached Aimee Mann and Michael Penn's manager, but we heard through the grape vine that they like to have other celebrities attached already before they will commit.
We had a meeting yesterday and came up with a couple of possibilities. There are some good bands in the area around that time, and we're hoping that one or more of them will be compelled to donate their time. Last year's show was so amazing, it's tough to live up to it.
We are going to venture into the world of fundraising so we can court the bigger names, if not for this year then next. It is crazy scary asking people for money when all you can offer them in return is a bit of good karma.
Thanks for your help!