Penguin film

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
martinfoyle

Penguin film

Post by martinfoyle »

I believe some penguin film is a big arthouse hit in the US this summer.
Here's another one

lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

genius...
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Looks like my wife and I will be seeing this film today. I was hoping to catch either "Mudsharks in Love" or "Manta's in Motion" instead, so the "March of the Penguins" was not on my short list. My wife insists,a nd she wins99.44% of the time.

My 0.56% decision is scheduled for October, 2007, and I am not gonna waste it this decade like I did last one.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

My Justin will be 11 on Tuesday and adores penguins. I think I'll treat him to this one. It looks fun.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I think the boy and I will see it tomorrow. It looks fantastic!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

So the boy and I finally saw this tonight. Great stuff, though a bit quiet and slow for a cartoon-fed 6-yr-old in places. It's just stunning visually, and the subject is pretty damn amazing. I had no idea what those animals' lives were like. Bring the kids if you like, but it'd also make a fine date movie (for geeks like me, anyway) it's quite romantic, really. The love scene is incredibly moving. And I'm not kidding.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

*Beware: There are some shots of young dead penguins just lying there in the snow.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
bobster

Post by bobster »

selfmademug wrote:So the boy and I finally saw this tonight. Great stuff, though a bit quiet and slow for a cartoon-fed 6-yr-old in places.
Actually, it was a bit slow for this classic-cinema-fed grown-up a lot of the time. An amazing achievement considering the impossible conditions and all, but I'm surprised to be saying only a so-so film, though I'm obviously in the minority.

In any case, considering how tough the poor birds have it, year after year, I think they should have titled it, "It Sucks to Be a Penguin."
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

bobster wrote: In any case, considering how tough the poor birds have it, year after year, I think they should have titled it, "It Sucks to Be a Penguin."
Heh... that just brought back to mind one of the best lines in the animation Madagascar. The penguins, after finally hijacking a boat and navigating their way to Antarctica (something they have always dreamed of doing) are standing on the ice in the freezing winds and one eventually looks to the others and simply says: "this place sucks!" - they then proceed to pack up and head off to the tropics.