Post by johnfoyle »

From listerv-

With yesterday being Letterman's 12th anniversary at CBS, I got this
from the Late Show newsletter:

*Top 5 Most Music Performances:
*- Elvis Costello (16)
- Lyle Lovett (15)
- Emmylou Harris (14)
- Sheryl Crow, Dave Matthews, Willie Nelson, Bonnie Raitt (13)
- Blues Traveler, Foo Fighters, Jewel, Natalie Merchant (12)
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Clearly the top two (EC and Lyle) and maybe the third (Emmylou) are value-added musical guests because they are great interviews. Like Elvis, Lyle can turn a phrase and is quick witted, so Dave gets two for the price of one...a good musical guest and a good interview. After 14-15 visits, Dave knows that he can count on them to say/do something that will be out of the ordinary for the normal, bland musician interview.

And I can assure you, if you caught Andy Dick following John McEnroe the other night on Letterman (Monday), you will likely agree with me that he will never, ever make another appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman. I have seen Dave frustrated and even pissed at guests, but I have never seen him, in the course of an interview, completely write someone off and dispose of them for all to see. I'm no fan of Andy Dick, but it is sad to see his self destructive behaviours return with such a vengeance, and at such an inappropriate time. Elvis flipped off Lorne Michaels and it became one of the most important moments in Television History. Andy Dick flipped off Dave and now he is just that...History.

Paging Andy's drug dealer.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Masterpiece?

Post by Masterpiece? »

I saw the first couple of minutes of the Dick interview. When he started rambling about how angry he was that Dave never noticed when he wore a suit & tie, I cringed & flipped.

IIRC, Elvis is the only person on that list to have hosted the show as well...I can't recall if Lyle ever did.
Everybody's hiding under covers... who's making Lover's Lane safe again for lovers?"