20 Favourite Albums: Chrille's List

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Chrille

20 Favourite Albums: Chrille's List

Post by Chrille »

Part of this thread http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=5241. This is a list of 20 of my favourite albums. 20 albums my collection couldn't be without:

NOTE: These are not in the order that I prefer them, but chronologically (and alphabetically). The coverart is from rateyourmusic.com, for some reason though, some are larger than others.

---

1973: Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
For the first version of this list I completley forgot about this album. I love Alice Cooper when they/he were still a band. This is an excellent album. The cheerful melodies combined with the morbid humor is great. If I had to pick one song it'd have to be Generation Landslide, so very very good.

---

1973: Genesis - Selling England By The Pound:
A few years ago I was mostly into prog- & artrock. While all those albums don't get played as much nowadays, Genesis still does. Genesis were one of the bands I first grew to like when I was 4-5 years old around the release of the cheesy Invisible Touch album. Although I do sortof like the more recent albums, perhaps by nostalgia, the albums released when Gabriel was around are much much better and this album is my favourite among them. The production is perfect, all instruments sound clear and powerful and the songs are very beautiful. Personally though, my favourite song off this album is The Battle Of Epping Forest, which is rather funny.

---

1973: Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure:
Early Roxy Music was often labelled glamrock. To me however, Ferry & Co were much too classy to fit into that imo genre of mostly bloated rock. This an excellent album of experimental but still highly accessible rock. The album feels very varied. Brian Eno was still in the band at this point and makes excellent use of his gadgets (especially on the title track). Favourite songs are Strictly Confidential, In Every Dream Home A Heartache and the wonderful The Bogus Man.

---

1974: King Crimson - Red:
Most people I try and discuss King Crimson with either confuses them with crummy rocker King Diamond by the name or don't know anything besides their excellent but to this imo inferior In The Court Of The Crimson King. Red features an enterily different band lineup than Court... and there are few similiarities with that album. Red is a both a dark, menacing album but in part also very beautiful and overall a very pleasing listen. Red includes one of my absolute favourite songs of all time, the epic Starless.

---

1975: Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks:
I can't say I'm usually a big fan of Bob Dylan, but failed-marriage albums always find a way into my heart and this is the best damned one I've heard. Favourite tracks: Simple Twist Of Fate, If You See Her, Say Hello.

---

1977: Brian Eno - Before And After Science:
It's very hard picking a favourite out of the first four non-ambient Eno albums which are all excellent. But at the moment it's this one. This album is somewhere in-between the first two albums and the slightly more ambient and experimental Another Green World. The first half is rather hectic and very fun, the other half of songs have a wonderfully dreamy atmosphere. Favourite songs are King's Lead Hat & Julie With...

---

1978: Nick Lowe - Jesus Of Cool:
This is the first album I heard by Nick Lowe. It's a wonderful album of varied, humorous songs with great lyrics. It's impossible picking favourite songs on this album without including more than half of them. So I'll make it easy and pick my least favourite instead. Marie Provost.
---

1979: The Clash - London Calling:
There's not much else to say about this that has not already been said. It's just one of the most enjoyable listens I can think of.
---

1980: David Bowie - Scary Monsters:
This is just so very very good. The songs are simple at heart, but Robert Fripp's guitar and Bowie's often desparate almost chaotic sounding vocals manage to pack such a punch without going over the top and it all works so incredibly well. The production is just excellent. Most likely my favourite sing-along album even though I would never do so in public ;). Favourite song is currently Teenage Wildlife.
---

1980: Peter Gabriel - III / Melt:
PG I was a great, playful debut. But it had some stiff, fillery-ish content that kept it from being excellent. PGII was often even stiffer than the first album. Security had a much darker and tense sound than anything prior, it was sometimes too much. In-between PGII & Security came Melt, PG's best imo. It's the perfect middle between all the previously mentioned albums. It's varied and playful like PGI, but much tighter. It's got that lovely dark, menacing sound of Security, but just enough. Too hard to pick a favourite.

---

1980: Bruce Springsteen - The River:
Two CD/LP's worth of excellent songs. Not a single one of them weak. Biggest downside the somewhat pale production. But play it at a loud enough volume and the problem is solved. It's got plenty of excellent rockers, some excellent party songs like Sherry Darling, Crush On You (guilty pleasure since it's so cheesy ;)). Also, some of his most beautiful in Point Blank, The Price You Pay, Wreck On The Highway.

---

1980: Talking Heads - Remain In Light:
When I first heard this album it sounded unlike anything else I'd heard at that point. The repeating rhythm sections of most of the tracks were amazing. It worked so well without ever actually feeling repetetive. Great use of additional vocals, percussion and Belew's quirky guitars. Crosseyed And Painless is pure gold.

---

1981: King Crimson - Discipline:
As with Court... and Red, the same can be said about Red and Discipline. There are few, if any similiarities in sound. New guitarist/singer Belew fits great. Though it's very obvious he and Fripp were inspired working with Talking Heads, Discipline has a very unique sound. The intense patterns of the guitars and Levin's bass/stick sound make it seem like they could be keyboards at times. Amazingly, they're not. Check out Frame By Frame.

---

1982: Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Imperial Bedroom:
There is not a single flaw in any of the first six tracks on this fantastic album. Perfection. Best A-side in history. Though there are perhaps one or two songs aren't up to the quality of the rest of this masterpiece. Those would still have been excellent out of context.

---

1983: U2 - War:
I really like U2's first decade. Very close call between this, Fire... and Tree... In the end I like this one the best. It has a very nice sound that does remind one of War. Excellent job by Steve Lillywhite. There are lots of little gems on this mostly forgotten album and not a single weak song. Drowning Man is my favourite song.

---

1983: Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombones:
As good as the excellent Rain Dogs. I prefer the more colorful sound of this album. Great opener in Underground. Probably gave fans of Waits a shock when they first heard it considering his past. I particularly like the instrumentals on this album, save for perhaps Dave the Butcher. Favourite tracks: Shore Leave and Johnsburg, Illinois.

---

1984: Jean Michel Jarre - Zoolook:
Most people seem to prefer Oxygene as Jarre's best album. I like Zoolook best. Instead of relying only on electronics this around, he uses real bass, guitars and drums. The results are amazing. The opener, Ethnicolor, is hands down my all-time favourite electronic track. Incredibly beautiful. The album suffers slightly by the one weak track, Diva, with, to me, horribly annoying vocal effects. Overall my favourite album of the electronic genre.

---

1985: Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love:
As the wonderful album cover suggests (correct me if I'm mistaken on breed here, but aren't those Irish Setters just lovely?), this a very beautiful album. Excellent production. Under Ice is my favourite song on here and is chilling and atmospheric like nothing else I've heard.

---

1986: The Cure - Staring At The Sea:
Although it might be cowardly in a way to include a compilation on a list like this one. This is the best compilation I know. See, my problem with the Cure is that their albums are too much of the same when I listen through one. Staring At The Sea solves that problem. It (mostly) picks their best songs between 79-85. When put together on this compilation, it becomes obvious that the Cure is a very varied group. From the straight, but excellent, punk of their debut. To the much darker followups. To the electronic-heavy, danceable Japanese Whispers and finally the brighter Head On The Door. Excellent.

---

1986: The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead:
Flawless. If there was one thing I would change it would be moving I Never Had Anyone Ever and I Know It's Over one or two tracks apart from each other. One of my favourites is actually the never mentioned bouncy gem Frankly Mr. Shankly.

---
Last edited by Chrille on Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:05 am, edited 9 times in total.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Nothing since then?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

No. I thought about it though. "Hmm, the 90's and 00's aren't represented at all. Could I be missing something?" but then decided I shouldn't stick an album of a special genre or year just for variation and instead go with my favourites :P.

I realise though it might seem boring since these are all typical top-# albums, but these are honestly my favourites no matter what anyone else thinks.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

That's the hard part about an exercise like this. I usually need to get some distance from an album to get a sense of what it means to me. For example, I listened to Sufjan Stevens' Illinois over and over last year, but haven't really gone back to it since - not because I find it any less compelling (I'm sure I'll pull it out again soon), but because there is a mountain of other music out there I want to hear.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Illinois was an album I considered briefly. But as much as I love it, it's not an absolute favourite.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

I can see the patters for the type of music you enjoy, which I enjoy once in a while too. But I would incorporate a wider variety of genres. I can't make a fav. albums list if my life depended on it though. However, I do know BOTT would be #1.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I realised to my horror that I had forgotten a very important album. I switched one of E.C's for it. But you all know how much I like the album that's now missing from the list. It's there in spirit ;)
Mechanical Grace

Re: 20 Favourite Albums: Chrille's List

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Chrille wrote:Image

Love that one!

And also the less acclaimed:

Totally cuckoo and I totally love it. Speaking of cuckoo, I hope someone adds this (since I have far overdone my 20!!):

This led the way to soo much that was done in the next 20 years, no??
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

New reissue with bonus (I think) sounds good.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Of the three Discipline-era KC albums I hold Discipline and the sequel Beat closest to my heart. But I agree that ToaPP is very underrated. I just adore the somehwat cheesy sound of Man with an open heart, and the title track is simply among their very best. Weakest part about it, though still good, are the instrumentals.

Bush of ghosts... is such a great album. I just ordered the new reissue with bonus tracks, can't wait to get it. Sent the old version to Mike (ice nine) on these boards. I've discovered lots of great music to myself recently, but it's still too early to tell if they will fit on this list in a few months.
Mechanical Grace

While we're on this general topic, Chrille do you know this one? It's another I considered for my top 20.

The Roche sisters are an acquired taste, and may in retrospect make many folks cringe with the guilty association that they once owned a pair of Birkenstocks, but that's all misplaced. This was them at their best-- seriously sophisticated harmonies, unique songwriting-- and soaked in guitar and (I think) production by Robert Fripp, it's like nothing else.

Untwisting the the harmonies on the beautiful track Losing True is one of the most difficult and sublime sing-along experiences in all pop music.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Nope. I don't even recall ever hearing of the Roches. I'll check it out. Reading about the Roches they sound like nothing else I listen to. So I might just dig up some samples before I buy ;).

Have you heard Fripp's Exposure? Know if it's any good? Appearently it just got a remaster w/ bonus tracks treatment.

---

Also, the list is now complete for now.
Mechanical Grace

Chrille wrote:
Have you heard Fripp's Exposure?
No-- heard of it but don't know anything about it.

PM me if you want a good Roches track or 2! That may be all you need anyway... 8)
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Exposure is well worth getting, the version of Here Comes the Flood is better than the original - it still has Gabriel singing on it, if I recall Daryl Hall of all people was hanging around with Fripp at the time and sings on North Star and its fantastic - there are a few weird experimental tracks that tend to be a bit grating after awhile but the highlights are great. The title track is better than the original too.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load