Are you ready for the weekend?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Are you ready for the weekend?

Post by mood swung »

Where the heck is everybody lately?

Are you all out having a lot more fun than me? Tell me all about it. Make me envious.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Not really. My wife's off in Australia, again, on a business trip, so I've got the kids this weekend. We're gonna make some of the recipes out of their kids cookbook tomorrow, then rent a few movies. Sunday I've got a babysitter for a few hours and will go see "The Last King of Scotland". Late at night I'll be spending time with The Wire DVDs and a few bottles of red wine.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Tomorrow night Red and I are hosting a few of our friends for a Greek dinner. We're planning to make moussaka, saganaki (the flaming cheese dish), greek salad, three kinds of dips (hummus, eggplant, red pepper/feta). One of our friends who is a professional chef is going to bring gyro and spanakopita.

Other than that I guess we're going to have to start thinking about what we want to do with this new house!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Drinking already. Have a good one everybody!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

congrats on the house, btw - I think you're insane to burden yourselves so early in your lives, but I've never been one of those plan-ahead people!

Top this: tonight I will stop in the corner grocery and pick up enough beer to last a weekend. Also some dog food. I will answer the question "what's for dinner?" approximately 7 times. I will throw Mexican Chicken leftovers in the stove and open a beer. I may do a crossword puzzle, if I'm not too busy answering the "what's for dinner" thing. Tomorrow, I will get to sleep in. Until 8 or possibly 9! I will be asked to make pancakes immediately upon rising and I will promise to do it after I wake up. I will forget, but Josie will remind me. I will attend 1.5 soccer games and hopefully not freeze my ass off. I will try to get to a tv by 2, so I can watch the Red Bulls be annihilated by DC. I will swear a lot, and possibly throw things (depending on the beers consumed). Somebody else better cook dinner, or better yet, take me out. Sunday will be laundry/shopping/planning/cleaning decathalon-type event. Stay out of my way!
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

This weekend is the Jersey City Studio Arts Tour! And I'm showing some of my photographs! Very exciting. Parties all weekend. And Beck is playing at the old Loews Theatre down by Journal Square, but I might have missed the boat on that one. Anyway, the Studio Arts Tour parties are always a guaranteed good time...
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I plan on going to the strip club this weekend. They've got two midget strippers (maybe dwarf strippers) coming into town as features. It should be disturbing to see, but I'll kick myself if I let this opportunity pass me by.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Christ!

Just back from Madrid. had some of the best fish ever in a Basque restaurant (generally the kings of fish cooking). Besugo de Anzuelo: line-caught fresh sea-bream. Thick and flavoursome, perfectly cooked, and served witha gorgeous Albariño (floral white from north-west Spain). Heaven.

Am knackered, weekend recovering and enjoying home life.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

we got 2 boy kittens from the shelter this evening, a black one and an orange one, to go to with the 2 old timers we've had for ages. probably go apple pickin' in the country and grab a pumpkin tomorrow.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

kittens!

more reasons to love OS, more reasons to love. But kittens seem to be popping up whereever I go lately!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Going to a birthday 'do' at some 'Jazz Cafe' based at the Madejski complex of Reading FC. Not really looking forward to it though, the entertainment is described thus:
Reuben Richards
Reuben is a versatile soul/blues R&B lovers rock vocalist. He is a dead ringer for Otis Redding and performs accordingly in a style highly reminiscent of the golden age of soul, ie. the Classic Stax Atlantic Sounds. He has appeared with greats such as Otis Grand and Steve Cropper (guitarist with the legendary Booker T & the MG’s). Regular at top London live music venues including the DOVER STREET WINE BAR.
Doesn't sound too bad but what is 'lovers rock'?
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Is that a genuine question? Gentle, tuneful, romantic reggae. And a Clash song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovers_rock

Hope the emergency services won't be required at the event!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

I'd be on caution where lovers rock. If I were you.

Lessee... weekend.

Watch my FF team cling to the bottom part of the standings like dried Play-Doh to a rug.

Putter inefficiently around the hyper-cluttered 800 square feet that comprise Chateau Mug, interrupted by making more coffee, walking the dog, and watching cartoons with my son or CSI re-runs on my own. And checking my email.

Maybe go see my friend who had a baby boy on Thursday night, whom they've named Otis. Yes, Otis.

Gnash teeth over the state of my finances.

Talk to my three sisters on the phone (no, not all at once).

Cook one decent thing for myself (more would be fine, but getting motivated to do even the one is hard).

Try like hell to finish yesterday's NYT crossword. I think Saturday's a non-starter.

Silently but earnestly bemoan the hegemonic state of current geopolitics. If I have time.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Working on the main bathroom today - we have totally gutted it and are installing a new everything! Red Shoes and Blue you will soon be suffering from this strange disease!! :lol:

Tomorrow we will be knackered and going to mould the day around watching Spurs v West Ham live!

This may not seem like an exciting weekend to you lot, but I actually like DIY, and as for watching live footie - well nothings better than that - unless of course I was whisked away to the seaside again and romantically wined and dined ........but after the footie of course! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I like that you have your priorities properly aligned Gilli!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Last weekend was spent drinking on Friday, football and drinking on Saturday and then I had what must be an all time personal best in front of the TV. I watched three consecutive football games (punctuated by bits I'd recorded on Sky+) and then after the last match which finished at 9.45pm I watched a further two hours of things I'd recorded.

I think I spent over 10 hours in front of the TV.

Mrs VG was not home last weekend.

I think the two may be connected.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

:lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

Last Friday night was one of the few gigs this year of Oliver's Army, Elvis Costello tribute band, Dallas USA. It was a outside show, a cool fall breeze with several firepits burning to keep you from shivering.
The band, although not having many bookings lately, obviously had been working to add to their impressive songlist. I got to hear for the first time from OA.... Monkey to Man and......5ive Gears in Reverse! The band had also worked up their parts for Indoor Fireworks, meaning Noiseradio doesn't have to solo it anymore. Everything sounded great, and my request was to hear Uncomplicated(OA Dallas version). The bands personal touches to the song make it my favorite to hear. :D

I know that I have bragged a lot about these guys, but for an ECfan like me, to be able to go out and listen to live Elvis music is pretty damn special.

ps Hoping to meet Mike Boom at a gig some day! :D
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

This weekend I am feeling a bit groggy after night's emergency meeting of the alchohol committee of the North Hampshire Elvis Costello Fan Forum.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

This weekend we'll be attending something called the Gaelic Myths and Mayhem Celtic Festival in Cary, NC. From what I can gather, its a cross between a renaissance fair, haunted house, music festival, and excuse to drink Guiness and Bushmill's in the middle of the day outside. Tomorrow: NFL football, beer.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Tonight: Halloween party! Tomorrow: chores.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'm ready! Wife back from Australia tonight, Chelsea up 2-0 at Sheffield United. Even this shitty weather can't dampen my mood.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I have been on nursing duties for Mrs VG this weekend as she has not been well. Cooking, cleaning, ironing and watching FAR too much TV lately.

Yesterday morning I had slaved over a hot grill to make some toast when we heard a crash. We looked out of the front window and a passengerless car had rolled into the car of a lady who had just parked outside our house. She was understandably shocked and the couple who owned the runaway car came back shortly afterwards. They had parked up the road and the handbrake had slipped. It was lucky there was not a car driving up the road.

I don't know what you'd think if you were driving up a hill and a passengerless car was rolling towards you.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I don't know what you'd think if you were driving up a hill and a passengerless car was rolling towards you.
I would think "fucking hell there's a passengerless car rolling towards me"
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I wouldn't be worried about an absence of passengers.

Drivers, yes. Passengers, no.