Mardi Gras!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
pophead2k

Mardi Gras!!

Post by pophead2k »

We're off to New Orleans for Mardi Gras tonight- lots of parades to watch, beads to catch, booze to drink, and crawfish to suck. To enjoy your own Fat Tuesday on the 20th, do the following:

1. Start drinking at 8 a.m. Do NOT go to work.
2. Wear a funny hat or other costume. Beg people to, "Throw me somethin' mistah!"
3. Listen over and over to the Meters, preferably the song about the Audobon Zoo (They all asked for you).
4. Eat a lot of fried chicken and hot dogs.
5. Dance in the street.
6. 'Fall in love' with some random person you see on the street.
7. Pass out somewhere between 4:00 pm and 6:30.
8. Wake up on Ash Wednesday and swear you'll never drink again.
9. Wake the random person you met on the street and feel awkward.

I plan to do all of the above except 6 and 9.

Happy Mardi Gras!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Laissez le bon temps rouler!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
migdd

Post by migdd »

I was celebrating in NOLA the weekends of January 12 and 20 - made a mess of myself on Bourbon Street and crashed at Chateau Lemoyne both weekends!

Enjoy Mardi Gras, pophead, and hoist one for me in honor of your great city!!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Have a great time pophead. Don't do anything I'd do.

Too late :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Goody2Shoes

Re: Mardi Gras!!

Post by Goody2Shoes »

pophead2k wrote:
1. Start drinking at 8 a.m. Do NOT go to work.
2. Wear a funny hat or other costume. Beg people to, "Throw me somethin' mistah!"
3. Listen over and over to the Meters, preferably the song about the Audobon Zoo (They all asked for you).
4. Eat a lot of fried chicken and hot dogs.
5. Dance in the street.
6. 'Fall in love' with some random person you see on the street.
7. Pass out somewhere between 4:00 pm and 6:30.
8. Wake up on Ash Wednesday and swear you'll never drink again.
9. Wake the random person you met on the street and feel awkward.

How is that different from any other day, really? Except for the not going to work part, I mean. A girl's gotta eat, after all.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Fortunately they've stopped now, but I used to occasionally find my attention distracted by absurd footage at night on the ludicrously titled Men & Motors TV channel of NO during MG, and it all seemend to be about women getting their knockers out, flashing and waving them around, having them felt by some pissed up lecherous old goat, and getting beads thrown at them as a 'reward'. Is this what the "fall in love" and "Throw me somethin' mistah!" refs are to?

Have fun!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Back and battered, but we had a great time.

Unfortunately, Otis, the representations you see on TV are only about 1/100th of what Mardi Gras is all about, but account for 99% of its coverage. Mardi Gras is about parties, family traditions, dressing up, watching parades and catching beads from those parades (without exposing yourself- very, very frowned upon at a real parade). The stuff you are referring to is when drunk frat boys show up in the French Quarter and throw stuff from balconies. I've never been down to see it myself and it looks pretty miserable. I'd love for you to experience the real Mardi Gras someday- an indescribable and unforgettable fun time.

I didn't get to see much of the city while I was there as our actions were confined to about 8 square blocks (typical for Mardi Gras). Mid City is starting to look better and the part of town I was in escaped major flooding and damage. Having said that, many parts of town are still very, very broken and virtually uninhabitable. Mardi Gras, with its Catholic origins and themes, reminds us of the corruptable flesh, and that even in the midst of life, we are heading toward death. A morbid thought, but one that has never put off a New Orleanian. This is why we celebrate life in the first place.

Laissez le bon temps roulez! Viva New Orleans!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Relieved to know it's only 1%! Sounds like a great time. One day, maybe.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more