Bajofondo - Fairly Right (con Elvis Costello)

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Mario posts to listserv -

Poorly translated from today's Los Andes newspaper in Mendoza,
Argentina...

COSTELLO, SING US A TANGO....

British singer Elvis Costello will be one of the illustrious guests by
the
group BAJOFONDO (shallow bottom) , directed by Gustavo Santolalla , for
the
recording of their second album "Mar Dulce" (sweet sea). Also part of
this
record of Electronic Tango will be Nelly Furtado, Gustavo Ceratti, Juan
Subira
and others. Mar Dulce will be released in September.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See also -

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/entretenimie ... _id=918527

http://www.rollingstonela.com/notaMostr ... _id=918713

http://www.laagencia.biz/bajofondo.htm
Last edited by johnfoyle on Thu May 01, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
migdd

Post by migdd »

. . .ummm. . .well. . .okay. . .
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.praguepost.com/articles/2007 ... o-rock.php

Brits, Balkan beats and Latino rock
Colours of Ostrava offers an international mix of alternative music

By James Scanlon

For The Prague Post
July 11th, 2007

(extract)

Maintaining its diversity with an ever-increasing global focus, the sixth annual Colours of Ostrava festival has more edge to it than a badly opened can of baked beans.

A definite must-see is Argentinian musician, film composer and producer Gustavo Santaolalla and his Bajofondo Tango Club. For years, Santaolalla has transformed the traditional music of Argentinian tango with provocative injections of modern-day elements of house, trip-hop and drum’n’bass. Through his own label, Surco, and many other projects he has produced more than 100 albums from artists including Molotov, Juanes, Orishas, Bersuit and La Vele Puerca. In the process, he’s helped transform the whole landscape of Latino rock.

Santaolalla started the Bajofondo Tango Club four years ago with longtime collaborator Juan Campodomio from Uruguay. Initially, it was meant to be a one-off recording project. But stumbling upon a winning formula with various other musicians from Argentina and Uruguay, they put together a solid eight-piece touring band.

“The music is a contemporary interpretation of what we think is the sound of Buenos Aires and Montevodeo,â€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

must admit, THAT is PRETTY HORRIBLE! why does he say "YES" to EVERY offer????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

agreed. Sometimes you just wish he'd quit fucking around and just make a decent pop song.
corruptio optimi pessima
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

:lol:
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Indeed, and I fear that wont be any time soon. Judging by the lack of new stuff in the recent few shows and the relatively obscure stuff he's digging up, I had to google Lonely Boy Blue to find out it was a Conway Twitty cover that he did during previously during the B&C sessions, I think we can expect much of the same during the Bob shows. I suppose it's to be expected, the alternative would be sappy songs inspired by his hands-on New Dad duties with the twins, which I'm sure would be cute, but vile all the same.
migdd

Post by migdd »

ya know. . .I'm not so sure that EC writing a song or two about poopy diapers would be such a bad thing. If the subject is really dear to his heart and he felt compelled to write about it and it got his creative juices flowing, well. . .all the more power to him. He could probably write a song about changing table ediquette that would transcend the subject and take on several layers of meaning. Think about it. . if the alternative is no new songs at all. . .

I'm totally serious about this!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

He can write a song about demise of the korean basket weaving industry as far as I'm concerned - just as long as he gives it a decent signature EC melody, with a hint of his Liverpool or London roots.

I Just wish he'd stop pretending he is John Lee Hooker, Ethel Merman or a remember of the Dixie Cups:!:
corruptio optimi pessima
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Are you serious about writing songs about pampers? Give me a break. Raising kids is exhausting. Maybe hitting the road with Dylan will allow him to crank out/craft a few new tunes.. Maybe he can release an EP (if there aren't enough tunes for a full length)... anything.. don't leave us hanging.. those bogus cassette demos on that hidden CD-R sound good now, don't they?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Jackson Monk wrote:He can write a song about demise of the korean basket weaving industry as far as I'm concerned - just as long as he gives it a decent signature EC melody, with a hint of his Liverpool or London roots.
:lol: And don't forget his Oirish roots either!

And is the Korean basket weaving industry in decline. I had no idea :lol:

There hasn't been lot of new material on show this year so the concerts with Dylan may have tryouts of new songs together with a trawl of the back catalogue which I daresay will include Shipbuilding, Peace, Love and Understanding and Indoor Fireworks.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
migdd

Post by migdd »

MOJO wrote:Are you serious about writing songs about pampers? Give me a break. Raising kids is exhausting. Maybe hitting the road with Dylan will allow him to crank out/craft a few new tunes.. Maybe he can release an EP (if there aren't enough tunes for a full length)... anything.. don't leave us hanging.. those bogus cassette demos on that hidden CD-R sound good now, don't they?
Okay, I was being a bit facetious about the poopy diaper thing. Yes, raising kids is exhausting, especially the first couple of years. (Haven't got to the teenage years quite yet.) Many songwriters have written great songs about aspects of the child-raising years (check out John Hiatt's classic Bring the Family, for one) and I have no doubts that Elvis could write a song or two on the subject that wouldn't compromise his standards or his audience. To me, it's as valid a subject as any other. Hopefully, EC will soon move past his current attitude towards writing and recording.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/14/arts/ ... ?ref=music

New York Times

NATE CHINEN
October 14, 2007

Bajofondo

Before he won his back-to-back Academy Awards — in the best original score category, for “Brokeback Mountainâ€
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

"impassioned" sounds like one of those euphemisms, doesn't it? :?
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://living.scotsman.com/music.cfm?id=1648822007

(extract)

Their eponymous first album had an edgy rock feel and huge tango stars like Adriana Varela as guest vocalists. Their new album Mar Dulce 9 (Sweet Sea 9) is rich in quirky folk and rock motifs with catchy melodies sung by a clutch of hot singers such as Spanish hip-hop artist Mala Rodríguez, Canadian-Portuguese singer Nelly Furtado, late Afro-Uruguayan candombe star Lágrima Ríos, and - my personal favourite - Juan Subirá, tantalisingly lugubrious on Hoy (Today). It also has Elvis Costello on board. Is this just shrewd crossover? "It's a concept Bajofondo have that there are artists worldwide who have tango spirit," says Santaolalla, "Elvis Costello's contribution on Fairly Right has everything to do with tango."
johnfoyle

Re: Costello to sing Tango.....

Post by johnfoyle »

Always a possibility of Elvis taking part, what with Ms Krall finishing her tour ( for the moment) on Aug.10 -

http://watchmojo.com/music/blog/index.p ... l-park-ny/

Bajofondo Live and For Free in Central Park, NY

Bajofondo, the acclaimed Argentine-Uruguayan collective led by Grammy and Oscar winner Gustavo Santaolalla, will release their much anticipated new CD, Mar Dulce, on July 15, 2008, on the Decca/Surco imprint.

While Bajofondo’s previous albums have showcased the band’s virtuosic instrumental talents, Mar Dulce expands the Bajofondo tango universe with performances from a superlative international cast of vocalists including Elvis Costello, Nelly Furtado, Julieta Venegas, Gustavo Cerati, La Mala Rodriguez, Santullo, Juan Subira and the late Lagrima Rios.

Bajofondo previewed the material from Mar Dulce in Los Angeles with an interview and live performance in their first-ever radio appearance on KCRW’s popular “Morning Becomes Eclectic” program on June 11. That evening the band made their LA concert debut at a sold-out show at the El Rey Theater. Variety called the performance “…a singular rich musical experience…viscerally enchanting…” The following evening Gustavo Santaolalla was honored with the Icon Award for his accomplishments in film and recorded music at the annual BMI Latin Awards.

The band plans a run of summer festival dates that will treat American audiences to the unique participatory experience of their music. Dates have been announced as follows: August 3 in San Francisco at the Urban Grove Festival, August 15 at New York’s Central Park Summerstage, and on August 27 at Millennium Park in Chicago.

`Public Radio International’s national weekday news magazine “The World” aired an interview with Santaolalla on the new album on June 13. Bajofondo will grace the cover of the October issue of Global Rhythm Magazine and features and reviews have been already committed by the Associated Press, Billboard, Chicago Tribune, CNN en Español, Hoy, La Opinion, New York Daily News, New York Post, People en Español, and San Francisco Chronicle, among others.

“Pa Bailar”, the first single from Mar Dulce featuring a sizzling vocal performance from Julieta Venegas, charted #75 on Billboard’s Top 100 Digital Singles in its first week of release.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.suntimes.com:80/entertainmen ... 26.article

REVIEW | 'Tango electronica' label rankles founder

August 26, 2008
Recommend

BY LAURA EMERICK lemerick@suntimes.com

(extract)

You might not recognize the name Gustavo Santaolalla but you've definitely heard of him. His scores for the films "Brokeback Mountain" and "Babel" won two consecutive Oscars. Regarded as the godfather of the alternative Latin rock scene through his pioneering work with Cafe Tacuba, Juanes and many others, he started out in the late '60s as a guitarist in his native Argentina.

For "Mar Dulce" (Verve Forecast), its second disc, Bajofondo refined its sound. "We wanted to keep the aesthetics and parameters of our first album, but our energy took a new turn," he said. "Our first disc was more of a studio effort. But when we took up the live experience, things began to change. When we translated that to 'Mar Dulce,' we opened up the strings and added more guest collaborators."

So for "Mar Dulce," Santaolalla recruited an all-star lineup. Along with Latin vocalists Gustavo Cerati, Mala Rodriguez and Julieta Venegas, he also snared English- language singers Elvis Costello and Nelly Furtado. "We wanted to have people emblematic of many worlds, like Cerati, a leader of Latin rock. "As for Elvis, he's one of those performers whose interpretation of their art has a connection with the tango universe. People like Nick Cave, Marianne Faithfull, Tom Waits -- the way they portray aspects of human nature, the darkness, they have the vibe of the tanguero."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Listening to this again for the first time in a while I think it would fit in perfect on the Roots album -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvZ-Bv8 ... e=youtu.be

Man out of Time

Re: Bajofondo - Fairly Right (con Elvis Costello)

Post by Man out of Time »

In this 2010 interview with Gustavo Bove in Argentine newspaper Clarín, EC talks about recording with Bajofondo.

The full article is here and here:.

The relevant extract is here:

" Cambiando de tema... Usted cantó una canción en el disco de Bajofondo. ¿Qué impresión le quedó de su labor con Gustavo Santaolalla? Lo aprecio realmente mucho. Gustavo es un músico muy inspirador. Espero que tengamos la oportunidad de hacer más cosas juntos. El grupo es increíble. Los vi en un festival de jazz y me dio la impresión de que estaban hablando de toda la historia de tu país… Y lo hacen mezclando las nuevas tecnologías, la multimedia… ¿Le seduce el tango como expresión musical? Creo que es una de las formas más puras y ambiciosas, de igual manera que lo fue (Astor) Piazzolla como compositor. Creo que el tango es realmente un don y un regalo para el mundo. También, es un género que ha inspirado diferentes corrientes musicales. Igualmente, cuando escucho tocar tango en Inglaterra o en Norteamérica, no siento que tenga nada que ver con esa suavidad y sensualidad de la forma original. Pasa lo mismo con toda la música del mundo y no es que una sea mejor que otra."

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

" Moving on ... You sang a song on the album Bajofondo . What impression was left of his work with Gustavo Santaolalla ? Really appreciate it a lot. Gustavo is a very inspiring musician. I hope we have the opportunity to do more things together. The group is amazing. I saw them at a jazz festival and gave me the impression that they were talking about the history of your country ... They do mixing new technologies, multimedia ... Would seduces tango as musical expression? I think it is one of the purest and ambitious forms, just as it was (Astor) Piazzolla as a composer. I think the tango is really a gift and a gift to the world. Also, it is a genre that has inspired different musical styles. Also, when I hear playing tango in England or America, I don't feel it has anything to do with that softness and sensuality of the original form. The same goes for all the music in the world and is not that one is better than another."

MOOT