John Brion Stuff

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mike Boom

John Brion Stuff

Post by Mike Boom »

A thread for anyd and all John Brion stuff. I really dont understand why this guy hasnt released a hatfulll of albums, he is quite obviously a musical genius. Dont belive me? Check out the below link and his miraculous, off-the cuff live version of "Life on Mars" in a Fats Waller stylee

http://nevergetsung.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... t-day.html

oh AND his Tom Waits does "Creep".
I would kill to be at some of those Largo shows.

PS .. There is a link to the whole show too.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

To my knowledge the only Jon Brion solo material out there on record (at least as far as vocal performances go) are the wonderful Meaningless and the soundtrack to I Heart Huckabees. Of course, that shouldn't take anything away from his incredible film scoring on Magnolia and Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind to name just two films.

He's also a bloody brilliant producer, although one who definitely has a major sonic impact (think Daniel Lanois or Jeff Lynne). Fiona Apple's original version of Extraordinary Machine with Brion at the helm is vastly superior to the one that ended up being released, but it's definitely a bit of a Brion freak-out.

I love the guy. There have long been rumours of a new solo album that he recorded at Abbey Road, but apparently he is a huge perfectionist so we'll see what happens with that I guess.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Yeah, Meaningless is great, and I love the Huckabees soundtrack,
but havent heard his version of Extraodinary Machine.

He was also in a band called "The Grays" with Jason Falkner - heard that blue? Must search that out.

from his WIKI

In April 2006, recurring tendonitis in Brion's right hand forced him to cancel all of his upcoming Largo shows. As a temporary 'farewell', he played his most recent show only using his left hand, even looping his songs as he normally does and playing the drums with one stick.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load