Damien Rice

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Damien Rice

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Anyone into him and his 'O' LP? It's pretty damned good, it must be said. A bit like an Irish Jeff Buckley. Plaything badged him with ol' wagglehead David Grey and someone else like Tom (?) McRae, but I think he's light years ahead of them (DG is so uninteresting by comparison). There are lots of really impressive songs on the LP, with my wife totally obsessed by The Blower's Daughter and playing it several times a day. Any of you Dubliners seen him? The LP features lots of nice cello and stuff, and is all very much accoustic instruments, but in a good way. He's had lots of critical praise, and Virgin Records seemed to have him as a chart CD, so it seems his day will come. Definitely a talented dude.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

So he's not like ol'wagglehead, then? :wink:
Otis Westinghouse

Was it the entirely hilarious Avid Merrion (no-one here has mentioned Bo' Selecta - I'll bet you're a fan, PorP) who did a sketch about his head rolling off? Nice bloke, you can hum Babylon, but just dull and obvious and limited. So easy to parody. Damien is in a diffferent league. No-one got any comments?
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I don't like D.Grey much but it's actually in his video for "Be Mine" which is very dull video of DG singing the song in a pub until the last minute where he wiggles his head so much that it falls off and is carried off by a passing dog. It's quite a funny shock.

Bo Selecta is veryvery funny.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

I do like Bo Selecta. What's that rude bear called? He makes me laugh in a childish way. Oh, and Mel B as a northern slapper is VERY funny.

Craaaaiig Daaaavid.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

"I'm a bear, Up a tree, On Hampstead Heath..."

I liked it when Craig David was on about 'craaaazyy paaaving' or his kestrel.

His Justin Timberlake is hilarious too.

DrJ

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/t ... index.html
For those who don't know what we're on about.
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Otis Westinghouse

Christ, it was D Gray himself. Well fair dues, he does have a good sense of humour. But come on, Dr J, you're a Dubliner, don't tell me you're not into Damien! Some of the LP is fantastic. It's all very serious and intense, but still manages to be very original and captivating with it. There's something totally unpretentious about it all. If you haven't heard him, you buy enough CDs to justify buying it on spec and letting us know what you think. I defy you not to be captivated by The Blower's Daughter. There's even a bit where co-singer Lisa Hannigan comes in and sings a bit that's very reminiscent of Radiohead's No Surprises.

Steven you knobjockey!
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Shows how much I'm with it...

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH OTIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spotted the DR album in the shops today and remembered your recommendation...bought it......listened in awe all the way home. Cold Water, Amie and Eskimo are my faves atm.

If you haven't got it....BUY NOW....it is awesome

Absolutely streets ahead of dull ole David Grey. More like a cross between Jeff Buckley and Nick Drake.

Cheers Otis :D :D
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Where is good 'ol Otis, anyhow?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Methinks he OD'd on all things webbish, but I suspect he'll be back eventually.

But I'm glad you chose this thread, cause it gives me an opportunity to say how much I love Damien Rice also (and yes, I have Otis to thank for that!). Don't be put off by the radio version of CANNONBALL which I suppose is alright but just more bland and MOR-ish than the album version.

Doof, have you continued to love this record? It's a sticker ain't it? Forget David Grey comparisons; pleccch.

The first 4 tracks (DELICATE; VOLCANO; BLOWER'S DAUGHTER; CANNONBALL) are just fantastic, and I love I REMEMBER as well. I'm hoping to catch him here in Boston in April.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Whoops-- Doof, I thought your post was from last fall. I suppose yes, you still like it...

:roll:
Jackson Doofster

SURE DO :lol: :lol:
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Otis Westinghouse

Well, Mr Le Doof, it's a shame you didn't get tickets for the Corn Exchange, from whence I have just returned, high on the experience of seeing Damien live. Like you, I've been loving this LP more all the time, but actually a lot of it really came to life live. Apparently he'd been very pissed off in Glasgow, Newcastle and Manchester as a lot of the show is incredibly quiet, and there was a lot of noise at the bar, but in Cambridge the bar was sealed off from the hall, so all was well.

He sings and plays beautifully, his band are superb (Lisa Hannigan is an angel, with a voice to match, and the cellist and drummer are both outstanding). There's a lot more rocking out live than on the LP, with some corkers like 'Woman Like A Man' (which is on one of his singles) coming over really well.

The light and heavy mix indicate more than ever that he's the heir of Jeff Buckley, though you're spot on with the Drake + Buckley suggestion, and in fact Nick drake was playing in the hall pre-gig. And the show ended with him on his knees, off mic a la Costello and with an unamplified acoustic, playing a wonderful rendition of Hallelujah. The poetry of the moment wassomewhat spoilt by an inevitable mobile phone, though he managed to respond perfectly by singing 'Hallelujah for mobile phones'.

I highly recommend him live to anyone who gets the opportunity, and if the Drake + Buckley formula interests you, the LP is one not to miss. It will be interesting to see if he goes on to become very big or not, as he has the talent and the songs, but at the same time the attitude to stay as more of a cult figure. Either way, it was a rare treat to see him.

I still can't believe in the lack of interest shown by Dr J and Martin Foyle. Surely you've seen him and are fans? Isn't he one of the best things to come out of Ireland in years? Not saying you have to love him cos he's Irish, but it would make me proud to be from the same place.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

I still can't believe in the lack of interest shown by Dr J and Martin Foyle. Surely you've seen him and are fans? Isn't he one of the best things to come out of Ireland in years? Not saying you have to love him cos he's Irish, but it would make me proud to be from the same place
A friend of Damiens tipped me off about the album when it came out 2 years ago. I bought a copy, gave it a few spins, liked it, I just have'nt got around to digging it out in the last year or so. Of course we all wish him well, just there seems to be a brilliant new singer-songwriter popping up around here every 6 months or so. I guess its a steak every night scenario. Good to see you enjoy him, I'll go straight to the R section right now and dig it out. Creamy, elaborate, material cover I seem to recall.
Otis Westinghouse

martinfoyle wrote:just there seems to be a brilliant new singer-songwriter popping up around here every 6 months or so.
This one's different. Honest.
Jackson Doofster

Otis Westinghouse wrote: The light and heavy mix indicate more than ever that he's the heir of Jeff Buckley, though you're spot on with the Drake + Buckley suggestion, and in fact Nick drake was playing in the hall pre-gig
Wow, what a show!!! I thought he was dead :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Magical things can happen at a Damo gig!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

So, I'm here telecommuting from a Starbucks, and what comes on but VOLCANO? You know, I must say I have been hearing truly great music at Starbucks lately. This means either they have some real integrity on some tiny level, or I have become the target audience-- middle-aged mom seeking her soul soothed for the price of a double tall skim latte.

Damn I hope it's the former.

What I am to you is not real
What I am to you, you do not need.

Great ambiguity to those lines that I could just live off of.

And now they're playing recent Aimee Mann.... see?
Otis Westinghouse

That's a cool Starbucks. He does a great live version of Volcano with an extended reggae section, works really well.

I'm still high from Monday...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It's pretty funny how you have to go to certain shops to hear good music, cause you know you're not going to hear it on the radio.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Starbucks is finally on its way to Ireland
http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/ ... BUCKS.html

and not a moment too soon. During a recent trip to London, where theres one on every corner, I developed a serious addicton to their fine wares, and have been jonesing ever since. They do play great music, hopefully they'll make their compilations available here as well. I've been listening to this one a lot lately.
http://www.starbucks.com/hearmusic/prod ... Fid=674951
Otis Westinghouse

In this outpost of the US empire we have a Starbucks inside Borders. They occasionally have live music, which is impressive of them. But isn't their coffee just bland pap? I made the mistake of having one in the Starbucks of Harlow's Sainsbury's of all places, and it was awful. But then I suppose that's the perception of what people are after, rather than the strength and taste I require. I saw a docu about them setting up in Madrid and being an instant hit. Made me sad to see my old hometown, replete with nice places to have excellent coffee, being infiltrated in this way, but that's the march of progress for you. At least they do good music.

How's your rediscovery of 'O' going, Martin? My problem right now is that I can't listen to anything else properly, so my initial massive thrill last weekend over Franz Ferdinand has been displaced. I can't put into words how magical the moment was when he started with the gentle guitar introduction to 'Amie' and then sang 'Nothing unusual, nothing strange/
Close to nothing at all/The same old scenario, the same old rain' with the light bouncing off the mirrorball and sparkling over the whole place like illuminated droplets. To my mind there are few experiences in life that top that of seeing a great live act doing something that takes your breath away, puts a lump in your throat, and gives you goosebumps.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

I've been working days in the shop I run with my brother, so I brought 'O' to give it a few spins. Yes, it is a fine piece of work, not a wasted note. Incredible reactions all round, in particular it's a big hit with the jolly-hockey-stick schoolgirls. They think 'Damo' is 'special'. Amazing the amount of customers who have been unknowingly singing along with it. This album has been a steady seller around here over the last 2 years, a sort of Tapestry for this generation. Even the metalhead evening staff have been playing it. Must check him out live sometime. Thanks for helping me re-discover this album, Otis.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I too think Damo is really special, though I am not a jolly-hockey-stick schoolgirl (except perhaps in level of emotional maturity, at times).

It's entirely addictive, even if it stirs up more emotion than you might think you'd like stirred up...
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Just a heads-up: Damien Rice is on Letterman tonight, for those of you who are curious to get a taste.