The Roots of Elvis Costello

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

The Roots of Elvis Costello

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Re: The Roots of Elvis Costello

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Play.com has this strange track listing:

Bama Lama Bama Loo - Little Richard
Rock Your Baby - Wanda Jackson
I Put A Spell On You - Screamin' Jay Hawkins
Tell It Like It Is - Little Willie John
For Your Precious Love - Jerry Butler & The Impressions
Plain Gold Ring - Nina Simone
Get Yourself Another Fool - Charles Brown
Trying To Get To You - Roy Orbison
So Glad You're Mine - Elvis Presley
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry - Hank Williams
Seasons Of My Heart - George Jones
Crazy Arms - Ray Price
Wondering - Webb Pierce
Send Me The Pillow (That You Dream On ) - The Louvin Brothers
Cry, Cry, Cry - Johnny Cash
A Satisfied Mind - Porter Wagoner
Mood Indigo - Nina Simone
But Not For Me (1959 Stereo Version) - Ella Fitzgerald & Nelson Riddle And His Orchestra
It Hurts Me Too - Tampa Red
Don't Ever Change - The Crickets

Elvis has performed songs associated with all these artists, but he's only covered a few of these specific songs.

I think most (but not all) of these recordings are public domain in the UK.
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

There are some great ones!

Including one of my all time favorites!

For Your Precious Love - Jerry Butler & The Impressions

Not bad for high school students! :)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Retailing for €8.99 here in Dublin, this excellent compilation is well worth picking up. Great as most of the tracks are , it's a real stretch to make direct associations between them and Costello. A sleevenote, by Dave Henderson , really grasps at straws to make connections. It's also littered with errors.

'The line between (Gram) Parsons and Costello has been drawn on many occasions, from their comparable covers of 'She'.... is one absolute howler. Dave seems to be presuming that 'She' ( by Gram Parsons and Chris Ethridge, 'GP' 1973) is the same as 'She' by Charles Aznavour and Herbert Kretzmer ( 1974 , recorded, of course, by Elvis in 1999). Similarly 'Don't Ever Change' is cited as a Buddy Holly song that has 'all the yearning of an Elvis C. orginal'. True but it's also a Gerry Goffin and Carole King song written in 1961 two years after Holly's death(and recorded by Holly's bandmates in 1962).

Including the 1955/6 Sun recordings by Presley and Orbison also jibs somewhat with Elvis' regularly proclaimed unawareness , until much later, of this music. Roy's take, by the way , on "Trying To Get To You" is a real discovery. Recorded a year after Elvis P's , it's a far more subtle reading , real despair coming over in comparison with Elvis' more raucous recording.

Asides from all this , the disc is a really fabulous listen. I'd forgotten how strong Charles Brown's original of Get Yourself Another Fool is, calmly and savagely telling it's tale. Elvis' version is just as good, especially the mix with the echoey vocal. The Nina Simone tracks have me digging out her discs. And so on.

In short a disc worth getting - just turn of your Costello nerdiness!
The imposter

Post by The imposter »