Elvis Costello fans I need your help!

Pretty self-explanatory
davetastic

Elvis Costello fans I need your help!

Post by davetastic »

A good friend of mine passed away last week. He was a huge Elvis Costello fan. I got assigned the responsibility of choosing the music that will be played at his funeral day after tomorrow. I want to play some Elvis Costello music, as that was his favorite artist, but I'm not sure what song to pick. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jack of All Parades

Re: Elvis Costello fans I need your help!

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Sorry for your loss-not to be presumptuous as I have no knowledge of your friend or his particular affinity for EC-I would offer "Almost Blue" as a suggestion-with the caveat that it may produce more tears than will already be flowing at your friend's funeral. Again, my condolences for your friend's passing.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

What a sad task you have before you--choosing music for a friend's funeral. I'm very sorry for your loss.

My suggestion is "The Birds Will Still Be Singing". It's a beautiful song and very appropriate for a funeral. In fact, I once read an interview with Elvis' father in which he named this as his favorite of all his son's songs and said he wanted it for his own funeral. That's a pretty strong endorsement.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

It occurs to me that other good choices might include "The Favorite Hour" and Elvis' cover of "Lost in the Stars". I'm also thinking of "That Day is Done", which Elvis wrote on the occasion of his Grandmother's death. In a more more Rock & Roll-ish vein, "Song with Rose" is very nice, the lyrics speaking of the wish to meet a loved one in the afterlife. One to avoid (because it's just too unbearably sad) is Elvis' cover of "Gloomy Sunday".
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
scamp

Post by scamp »

I'm sorry for your loss but what a special thing to do for someone. Do they have an ipod or the like you could get some ideas? Maybe a playlist on the computer. I would love "I'll Wear It Proudly" played for me. Let's see "Pump it Up" too. Then something with his lyrical genius "Man Out of Time".
davetastic

Post by davetastic »

Thank you all so much for your help. I've spent quite a while listening to Elvis Costello songs today. Your suggestions are great. Unfortunately, he wasn't into mp3s, etc so I didn't have a playlist to use as a guide, but your suggestions have helped me put together a playlist I think he would be proud of. I'm still open to more suggestions if you happen to have any. The funeral is tomorrow. Again, thanks.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

This is Hell
Gods Comic
I can't stand up for falling down
signed with love and vicious kisses
Hoopsrcool

Post by Hoopsrcool »

My Funny Valentine
Beyond Belief
Hand In Hand
Big Tears
Hoover Factory
Blame It On Cain
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood
I’m Not Angry
I’ll Wear It Proudly
Indoor Fireworks
New Amsterdam
Poor Fractured Atlas
Secondary Modern
The Comedians
… And In Every Home
Red Shoes

If it was myself that you were choosing for … and if you were looking for a ‘loop’ for background music … I might be pleased with this hour (or less) of Elvis Costello music.

If you wanted only one or two songs … then … I have no idea. (I would’ve have to have known him.)

I’m very sorry for your loss.