Constancy in an unsettling world-a favorite cover

Pretty self-explanatory
Jack of All Parades

Constancy in an unsettling world-a favorite cover

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Perhaps it is its stated simplicity- that in a world of constant movement 'I' will find solidity with 'you'; that in flux calm can be achieved- that makes me love this very elegant yet understated cover- one of three in his career that still resonate for me- the others being PLU and Walking on Thin Ice. When he does it vocally bare like this with his understated timbre I am immediately hooked- it is the same tone he achieves in the superb "Almost Blue".

It is the only song on that album that I return to with regularity and with pleasure. I never tire of the sentiment that ultimately there is one 'partner' for 'me'- fortunately I found her on the first turn of the waltz and have never had to 'change partners again'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iahM_DLFYfY
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
History History

Re: Constancy in an unsettling world-a favorite cover

Post by History History »

This performance stopped me in my tracks and sent shivers up and down my spine. When Elvis does this kind of thing in concert, it makes my jaw drop. The quality of the video matches the song so beautifully - giving it a lovely haunting, wistful atmosphere.
Thank you so much, Christopher, for bringing this to my attention. It has made my night!
Neil.

Re: Constancy in an unsettling world-a favorite cover

Post by Neil. »

This is almost as hard as saying 'what's your favourite Elvis song?', as he's done so many covers.

Oh, I just don't know where to begin. I absolutely adore PLU, of course - I guess it's the Elvis cover to end them all because it's become 'his' song rather than Nick Lowe's, but apart from its historical importance in his career...

I would have to say Sweet Dreams (one of Elvis's best recordings for me, whether he wrote it or not) and Love For Sale are the first two that spring to mind, then I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down and From Head To Toe (wonderful, playful, jaunty arrangement that seems simple but builds wonderfully).

But there are sooooo many. Is there a list online somewhere?