Spectacle series 2 on UK TV - starts tonight!

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Spectacle series 2 on UK TV - starts tonight!

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Spectacle is billed in the Sunday Times as a new series starting tonight on Sky Arts (and HD) at 10pm.

It starts with Bono and The Edge.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

Re: Spectacle series 2 on UK TV - starts tonight!

I see Elvis' website has gotten round to posting this now! :lol:

Remember you read it here first!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.skyarts.co.uk/music/article/ ... -costello/

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0813/u2.html

13 August 2011

Bono has revealed that Paul McCartney slid down the banisters when he came to U2's studio to give the band a pep talk.

According to the U2 singer, Macca slid down the stairs on the way in and explained how he, Ringo, John and George would begin recording backing tracks at 9am, go for an egg sandwich, pint and a cigarette at noon, and then return and finish the songs by five.

Inspired by their system, U2 tried a similar strategy that week, Bono explains, but wound up still in the recording studio at 4am. Bono tells the anecdote to Elvis Costello on the new series of Spectacle, Costello's interview and performance show.

Bono and The Edge also discuss the formation of U2 on the show which is screened on Sky Arts1 on August 29.
"We had no history of musicianship," Bono says. "Remember, we formed a band before we could play. It's kind of comedic. We're looking at all these more experienced people, going, 'OK, we'll have that and we'll have that and we'll have that,' like you're walking around with a shopping bag.

"But somebody else said, 'You also need the talent bit.' And it never dawned on us that we mightn't have any." Bono and The Edge also discuss the influence and wisdom of their producer Brian Eno, as well as a time the acclaimed producer and former Roxy Music man became so exasperated with their recording of Where The Streets Have No Name that he tried to erase the song from the album. "A junior engineer had to physically drag him out of the recording studio," the pair remember.

Bono and The Edge also perform tracks including Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of on the show and also join their host in a performance of his song Pump It Up and U2's Get on Your Boots.

Over the course of the series, Costello also welcomes artists including Sheryl Crow, Lyle Lovett, Nick Lowe and Bruce Springsteen.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Thankyou for the info - we saw that Sky Arts HD etc was doing Spec., but thought that it was the old Channel 4 1st Season - have been busy putting most of UK Sky Arts1 HD Spec. on to record hoping we shall 'catch up' ...

Just enjoyed yesterday's 2nd UK Lowe-Toussaint-Helm-Thompson show repeated twice today.

Last Monday's Bono-Edge one is on again tomorrow.

Tonight is Costello being interviewed by Mary Louise Parker.

Fri is LaMontagne-Lovett-Prine.

Next Mon-Tues are the 2 Springsteen parts.

Don't know yet when Case-Winchester-Crow-Sexsmith show is being transmitted - Sky online so far only up to next Tues.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

... UK Sky Arts 1 TV listings online now showing LaMontagne-Lovett-Prine tonight Thurs 1st, and the Bono-Edge repeat tomorrow ...
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

... anyone know please when 'Case-Winchester-Crow-Sexsmith' show is being transmitted in UK - no sign of it being listed on Uk Sky Arts 1/no answer yet from them on this topic ...

Others have been interesting/variable so far. We liked the Bono-The Edge repeat last night, and John Prine in one of t'others.
verbal gymnastics

charliestumpy wrote:... anyone know please when 'Case-Winchester-Crow-Sexsmith' show is being transmitted in UK - no sign of it being listed on Uk Sky Arts 1/no answer yet from them on this topic ...
It was shown last week and was a fantastic episode. I never knew anything about Jesse Winchester but I certainly intend to now.

He sang two solo songs which brought lumps to my throat.

And it's worth other only seeing Neko Case's reaction but also Elvis' comment after Jesse's first song.

It's bound to be repeated soon.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Dumb question from this part of the Earth. The second season was released on DVD and Blu-ray 3 months ago. Is this not available in the UK?
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
charliestumpy wrote:... anyone know please when 'Case-Winchester-Crow-Sexsmith' show is being transmitted in UK - no sign of it being listed on Uk Sky Arts 1/no answer yet from them on this topic ...
It was shown last week and was a fantastic episode. I never knew anything about Jesse Winchester but I certainly intend to now.

He sang two solo songs which brought lumps to my throat.

And it's worth other only seeing Neko Case's reaction but also Elvis' comment after Jesse's first song.

It's bound to be repeated soon.
Thanks for reply/clarification ... will look out for repeat of this one soon. " Bruce parts tonight/tomorrow ...

For those in Canada/USA etc, we in UK had to wait 2 years to see season 2 Spectacle on TV - I actually appreciate it all the more because of this.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Bruce seems like the end of the series.
Has the one been shown where Elvis was interviewed been on yet?

I have recorded them all but only watched one.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

charliestumpy wrote:

Mary-Louise Parker was last Wed. 31st August 22.00 UK Sky Arts 1 TV, repeated twice next day at about noon-6 p.m.

Not having seen the 2nd part yet of Springsteen, or the 'NC-JW-SC-RS' one (nice vid-aud clips all over web though ...), I thought that the Bono-Edge one was best.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

charliestumpy wrote:
charliestumpy wrote:

Mary-Louise Parker was last Wed. 31st August 22.00 UK Sky Arts 1 TV, repeated twice next day at about noon-6 p.m.

Not having seen the 2nd part yet of Springsteen, or the 'NC-JW-SC-RS' one (nice vid-aud clips all over web though ...), I thought that the Bono-Edge one was best.
Thanks. I have only watched the Lowe/Toussaint etc episode.

Might have to throw a sickie and have an 'Elvis day' to catch up.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

... and the 2nd part of Springsteen was IMO much better than the 1st part ...
verbal gymnastics

Have just watched the Bono and The Edge episode.

Wonderfully complimentary about Elvis and great to find out that Larry Mullen Jr is a huge admirer of Pete Thomas.

Watching these shows makes me wonder if there is a more versatile band in the world than the Imposters.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

The big surprise for me was on the Elvis interview that he had not read fiction since he was at school. I thought a wordsmith such as he would be a bit of a bookworm!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The big surprise for me was on the Elvis interview that he had not read fiction since he was at school. I thought a wordsmith such as he would be a bit of a bookworm!
Elvis has a , IMHO, rather weak excuse for that here -

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... t=Davidson